Author Topic: [3.5] The Psychic Warrior Handbook  (Read 117962 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: [3.5] The Psychic Warrior Handbook
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Been out of the saddle for quite a long time. I might look into that later on now when I have a rather low level PbP coming along. Always been a fan of Psychic Warriors. Thanks again.

Handy Links

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2011, 10:44:29 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Been out of the saddle for quite a long time. I might look into that later on now when I have a rather low level PbP coming along. Always been a fan of Psychic Warriors. Thanks again.
Remember, it's not a psywar power so you'll need access to it in some other way, and a lot of the good breath weapon feats require the [dragonblood] subtype, meaning either a feat (Dragontouched), a template (dragonborn), or a race (kobold).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »
Good point. The people I play with are not that keen on kobolds after my Sorcerers, so another approach might be in order this time. Let's see what I can come up with. Nevertheless, thanks for pushing me to the correct sources.

Handy Links

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »
Good point. The people I play with are not that keen on kobolds after my Sorcerers, so another approach might be in order this time. Let's see what I can come up with. Nevertheless, thanks for pushing me to the correct sources.
Well, a dragonborn warforged seems to be the best bet.

Fluff it as a flesh golem made from ground-up psionic crystal dragon bits, with all the dragon's memories fueling its personality?

Could be a hoot.

Hell, now I wanna play one...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
We'll see!

Handy Links

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »
PG-13 warning ...

double entendre on "fluff" = what the fluff  ???

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2011, 07:50:56 PM »
Would you say psionic tattoos are worth looking into for a PsyWar? I can see some potential here, but I'm not very experienced with the class, so maybe the veterans see more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:56:18 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
Would there be any big disadvantage to starting a Tashalatora build with just 1 level of monk?  I can't see any advantage to the 2nd monk level besides getting Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat.

Aedh

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
Would there be any big disadvantage to starting a Tashalatora build with just 1 level of monk?  I can't see any advantage to the 2nd monk level besides getting Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat.

A bonus feat, monk evasion, and extra skill points (4+Int) that made it enticing to me.

EDIT: so I got to use my monk and my initial comment would be: knock-down is a great feat.  I can see where my DM will tire of that feat alone.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:09:08 PM by Aedh »
"People are rendered sociable by their inability to endure solitude, that is to say, their own society. They become sick of themselves  It is this vacuity of soul that drives them to intercourse with others..." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
Maybe there should be something on point economy? PsyWars are perhaps the class that needs to take the most care of their power points. For instance, how many power points should be spent on daily buffs, how much should be saved for pre-and in-combat manifesting, be it buffs, mobility, or something else? Is trying to get +2 Claws of the Beast running for 12 power points (with liberal use of a Power Link on Metaphysical Claw and CotB) too much of a good thing on a PsyWar with 30 daily points? I remember the recommendation from carnivore's Psion handbook to be about 1/4 pp spent on daily buffs, but is this different for a Psychic Warrior, who relies on buffs in battle?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:01 PM »
I'd like to get an update on the Dips section:

Totemist 2=GOLD! Multiple natural weapons, a free Chakra Bind, the ability to shape a very potent number of soulmelds, and access to the Soulmanifester PrC. Incarnates may have some Wis synergy, but Totemist is the better choice for a combat-orient PsiWar (and which PsiWars aren't?).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Aedh

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
I think for point economy planning for 4 encounters per day is standard for most DMs.  You could theorize a plan based on that assumption with level consideration.  I wouldn't have anything valuable to offer because i only have 7 PP on mine right now  :)  Inertial Armor and swing.

/cheers
"People are rendered sociable by their inability to endure solitude, that is to say, their own society. They become sick of themselves  It is this vacuity of soul that drives them to intercourse with others..." - Arthur Schopenhauer

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »
Maybe there should be something on point economy? PsyWars are perhaps the class that needs to take the most care of their power points. For instance, how many power points should be spent on daily buffs, how much should be saved for pre-and in-combat manifesting, be it buffs, mobility, or something else? Is trying to get +2 Claws of the Beast running for 12 power points (with liberal use of a Power Link on Metaphysical Claw and CotB) too much of a good thing on a PsyWar with 30 daily points? I remember the recommendation from carnivore's Psion handbook to be about 1/4 pp spent on daily buffs, but is this different for a Psychic Warrior, who relies on buffs in battle?
i personally think, that this depends on your specific DM, campaign and, of course, power selection. buffs like expansion cost 1 powerpoint and have a great impact, other powers are a lot more cost intensive.

I'd like to get an update on the Dips section:

Totemist 2=GOLD! Multiple natural weapons, a free Chakra Bind, the ability to shape a very potent number of soulmelds, and access to the Soulmanifester PrC. Incarnates may have some Wis synergy, but Totemist is the better choice for a combat-orient PsiWar (and which PsiWars aren't?).
thanks for the input. the multiclass section is a little underdeveloped anyway. but it would be nice if you could point out the appropriate options for me, i'm not very familiar with moi.

Jasuhn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
Is there a reason that I don't see danger sense in the power section?  Is it unholy horrible?  I got immunity to sneak attacks from anything not 4 levels higher than me when I augmented it to full uncanny dodge, unless I misread something.  I found it usable, if pricy. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »
Is there a reason that I don't see danger sense in the power section?  Is it unholy horrible?  I got immunity to sneak attacks from anything not 4 levels higher than me when I augmented it to full uncanny dodge, unless I misread something.  I found it usable, if pricy. 
It is rather horrible. Yes the duration is decent, but the base ability sucks horribly and the augment is blown away by anything that grants concealment (such as greater and regular concealing amorpha).

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
Speaking of powers, I'd have to disagree with your assessment Catapsi. If you are useing the psi-magic transparency rules, this increase the spell slot by 2, effectively denying their highest level spells or making their lower level ones more costly.
One of my players used this and really threw a wrentch in my battle plans. The worst thing about Catapsi is that it's DC doesn't scale. It's just 15+ WIS mod, but for a frontline melee build this can greatly disrupt casters.

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but it wasn't changed in the original post, but the power psychic whip specifically states you don't need to be proficient with whips to use gain advantage on trip attacks.

Also since the whip responds to your will rather than how your wrist moves it should stand to reason that you can use it as if yOu were proficient with it. He'll, even if you weren't proficient with this power, it's still a ranged touch attack that can stun people or trip them with no chance of retailiation.

This power deserves a better grade because it's awesome.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
Would you say psionic tattoos are worth looking into for a PsyWar? I can see some potential here, but I'm not very experienced with the class, so maybe the veterans see more.

The Mantled PsyWar has access to 7th to 9th level powers on it's list.
(Has to use powerstones and a builder, to take advantage of this.)

The mantle allows more powers off list than Expanded Knowledge feats.
So technically a Mantled PsyWar with the usual batch of off list powers,
should "technically" have a few extra feat slots for the Two tattoo feats.
And PsyWar has more feat slots than a Psion.

So it should be possible to build a PsyWar that
doesn't try to do Psion-type things with the Tattoos,
yet is still quite the PsyWar. Maybe even improved !

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2011, 02:26:08 AM »
this thread is so useful for builds, thanks for all the great ideas.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »
Anyone remember Ema's Character Sheets?  I have a dynamic Psychic Warrior spell sheet saved in pdf, and it has every power except the SoS ones.  Very handy.  I'd be willing to share it, but I don't know how to host it or anything.  I could email it to someone more net-savvy if they feel like posting it.