Author Topic: [3.5] The Psychic Warrior Handbook  (Read 117961 times)

Azoriel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: [3.5] The Psychic Warrior Handbook
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
Don't forget $$$ to buy psychic chirurgery. Especially useful if you have a friendly telepath with Supernatural Transformation (ie, no XP cost).

Supernatural Transformation only works on innate spell-like abilities.  This means, in order to combine this with Psychic Chirurgery, you must

(1) have Psychic Chirurgery as a spell-like ability (psionic powers =/= spell-like abilities since 3.5)

and

(2) have had this same SLA as an innate (i.e. racial) ability.

Edit: Just to save you some time...

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=504901&forum=95&sp=15
Psionics are no longer listed as Spell like abilities for v3.5, pg 4 under About Powers, para 3, Expanded Psionics Handbook. The Psionics Handbook v3.0 lists them a spell like abilities, p35, 2nd para under Concentration.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:17:46 PM by Azoriel »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
Except the SRD specifically says that they're psi-likes, and psi-likes are equivalent to spell-likes, and require innate talent to wield in any capacity.

Thus, Supernatural Transformation applies unless there's Rule 0 involved.

We've discussed this before. Several times.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Azoriel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
Except the SRD specifically says that they're psi-likes, and psi-likes are equivalent to spell-likes, and require innate talent to wield in any capacity.

Thus, Supernatural Transformation applies unless there's Rule 0 involved.

We've discussed this before. Several times.

It would seem I've missed some discussion here. Let's look at the text in question...

Psi-Like Abilities (Ps)
The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability, as is the manifestation of powers by creatures without a psionic class (creatures with the psionic subtype, also simply called psionic creatures).

That's pretty clear cut (and it would seem you've got me there).  The other part of the claim (all psionics are innate) is something of a stretch at best, IMO.  Psionic potential is innate - psionic powers, particularly those derived from class levels, are not.  Your hypothetical psion wasn't born with the ability to manifest Psychic Chirurgery from his power list, was he?  I suppose a permissive DM may accept the argument that those levels gained eventually awakened the potential to do this...  But having the potential is not the same thing as actually being able to do it.

I'm suspecting my argument will not sway the consensus here, however, so, so long as you manage to get it done this way in your games, to each his own.

Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:22:53 PM by Azoriel »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
Would you still play this class if metamorphasis was disallowed?

Hmm... what else...
as and optimizatin challenge do you think you could turn it into a blaster?
I rember someone screwing around with that once... it was a lot of psionic talent + learning, but basically,
the only blasted with energy ray & missile and use the talent to gen pp. Metapower? Or some such.
It was funny. Anything?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
ehm, yes? it's still tier 3 (powerwise) without broken shit.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »

Hmm... what else...
as and optimizatin challenge do you think you could turn it into a blaster?
I rember someone screwing around with that once... it was a lot of psionic talent + learning, but basically,
the only blasted with energy ray & missile and use the talent to gen pp. Metapower? Or some such.
It was funny. Anything?
Perfectly doable without metamorphosis. But metamorphosis is one of the best powers a psywar can get.

And blasting is somewhat viable, even with a psywar, though the way I'd do it would likely be significantly different than the way most would.

I'd probably focus on breath weapons, starting out with a dragonborn warforged, getting lots of metabreath feats, then researching gemstone breath, and using my other powers to get the most out of my breath weapon(s). Debuffs and such.

Not exactly the same as using things like energy missile every round, but still. It's a good way to blast without wasting a god-awful number of resources each round.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:06:35 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
NICE!  :D

Its interesting to see that it can be more than just a melee guy minus the polymorphing.
I'm a fan of the class and I'd like to see its versatility explored. At this point thats
 really possible. I actually like your approach, because its just MORE stuff you can bring
to the table without using its precious pp. Thats important as its one of the main complaints about
the class I think.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »
NICE!  :D

Its interesting to see that it can be more than just a melee guy minus the polymorphing.
I'm a fan of the class and I'd like to see its versatility explored. At this point thats
 really possible. I actually like your approach, because its just MORE stuff you can bring
to the table without using its precious pp. Thats important as its one of the main complaints about
the class I think.
There are a number of ways to use the pp the psywar gets to best advantage. I've expounded on this before a few times (some of which I believe were here in this very handbook).

Things like minimal augmentations (a 1pp expansion is awesome no matter how you slice it), psionic feats (like Greater Psionic Shot + Aligned Attack + a greater chasuble of fell power), and so on. Use items to your best advantage, and for gods' sakes, use the hell out of that psicrystal!

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
Hmm I maybe mistaken, there is one decent level 6 psywar power:  combat transformation.

Gives you +4 on all physical attributes, +4 to AC, +5 on Fort saves, proficiency with all weapons and gives you BAB= your ECL.  You do lose the ability to manisfest powers whileunder it though.  still not bad
It's the psionic equivalent of Tenser's Transformation, which is a TRAP spell.
Use it on your psicrystal, followed by metamorphosis. Where's the trap now?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53:17 PM »
actually i don't quite understand why you don't understand how linked power works; the RAW are pretty clear on this. nevermind...

in order to stick to your example:
you expend your psionic focus and manifest expansion with bite of the wolf linked to it. you do not pay 1 powerpoint, you pay 2 powerpoints in this round. 1 for expansion plus 1 for bite of the wolf. expansion is manifested this round as normal and bite of the wolf is automatically manifested in the next. to use this you must be at least level 2 or use overchannel because in this example expansion actually costs 2 powerpoints -- bite of the wolf's cost is simply added to expansion's. thus, if you would like to link inertial barrier (7 powerpoints) to expansion, expansion would cost you 8 powerpoints.

*Disable lurk status*

Now I've got it. I think it was just the whole, "Wait, where's the metapsi power point cost?", that got me confused. First time it had been used in my prescence, it was a metapsi cost equal to the combined of the cost of the linked powers. Definately a great feat, and to me at least, it just got better.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

Aedh

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:21 AM »
Very helpful handbook, thanks a lot for posting it.  

<ramble>
Having just recently started playing D&D again (last time I played it was 2.0, lot's changed). We are running 2 campaigns simultaneously and both DMs are pretty cool with materials allowed.  I never got far with my monk in 2.0 so I decided to to go with this build (posted in the Handbook):

Tripping: Talashatora Build: Synad Monk2/Psychic Warrior18

[spoiler]Feats:
1: monastic training (psychic warrior), passive way monk: combat expertise, improved unarmed strike
2: passive way monk: improved trip
3: synad multitask, enhanced, psychic warrior: knock-down
4: psywar: mantled warrior acf (freedom mantle)
6: tashalatora
7: psywar: linked power
9: improved natural attack (unarmed strike)
10: psychic warrior: practiced manifester
12: snap kick
13: psychic warrior: psionic meditation
16: psychic warrior: metapower (expansion, linked power)
18: earth power
19: psychic warrior: expanded knowledge (temporal acceleration)[/spoiler]

We are starting level 3 and I wanted something without using metamorph and wasn't interested in the psicrystal (although I am warming to the concept).  I figured I'd support the group by tripping (without abusing the tactic, the groups soulknife/assassin will love it) and some decent fighting capability.  Start out with a guisarme (possibly flail backup) and then fists.

The powers I thought I would get are:

[spoiler]{1.1} Inertial Armor, {1.2} Expansion, {1.3} Metaphysical Weapon,
{2.1} Strength of My Enemy, - i like the sound of this one
{2.2} Dampen Power, -group utility is something I am after
{2.3} Hustle,
{3.1} Empathic Transfer, Hostile, - i love the sound of this one
{3.2} Dimension Slide,
*{3.3} Exhalation of the Black Dragon - who doesn't want to "breath" dragon breath?  Is it worth it though?
{4.1} Energy Adaptation, {4.2} Fly, Psionic, {4.3} Steadfast Perception
*{5.1} Metaconcert,  - with 2 other psi chars in the group i thought we might do some damage this way.
{5.2} Change Fate, {5.3} Teleport, Psionic
*{6.1} Form of Doom, {6.2} Mind Blank, Personal, {6.3} Temporal Acceleration[/spoiler]

I pretty much took anything rated decent in the handbook for powers that I also liked the sound of.  I wanted to make an enjoyably character so i researched what would fit me, bringing me here  :).

My, should someone kindly choose to offer their comments are (sorry if this appears noobish,I feel like a noob):
1.) Am I missing some power that would allow me better flexibility with still retaining the tripping without abuse concept?
2.) I'm worried about power so I kept the Earth Sense/Earth Power feats, should I not worry so much and spend my feats elsewhere?
3.) What types of combos are used with synad multitask, (which I am burning a feat to enhance to 2/day)?
4.) Should I invest in more lower level powers instead of the higher?

Again, thanks for the guide and all the great posts thereafter, handy for having an end game in mind!

Edit to add: the group makeup is Fighter, Soulknife, Ardent, and me.  Healing will be done with pots unless I convince them later that we can "hire" a healer.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:26:07 AM by Aedh »
"People are rendered sociable by their inability to endure solitude, that is to say, their own society. They become sick of themselves  It is this vacuity of soul that drives them to intercourse with others..." - Arthur Schopenhauer

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
Very helpful handbook, thanks a lot for posting it. 
[...]
My, should someone kindly choose to offer their comments are (sorry if this appears noobish,I feel like a noob):
1.) Am I missing some power that would allow me better flexibility with still retaining the tripping without abuse concept?
2.) I'm worried about power so I kept the Earth Sense/Earth Power feats, should I not worry so much and spend my feats elsewhere?
3.) What types of combos are used with synad multitask, (which I am burning a feat to enhance to 2/day)?
there is definitely nothing wrong with your power-selection.

it's good to see that the guide is actually helping people. =)

Hmm I maybe mistaken, there is one decent level 6 psywar power:  combat transformation.

Gives you +4 on all physical attributes, +4 to AC, +5 on Fort saves, proficiency with all weapons and gives you BAB= your ECL.  You do lose the ability to manisfest powers whileunder it though.  still not bad
yeah, that's covered in the guide, btw...

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
Hmm I maybe mistaken, there is one decent level 6 psywar power:  combat transformation.

Gives you +4 on all physical attributes, +4 to AC, +5 on Fort saves, proficiency with all weapons and gives you BAB= your ECL.  You do lose the ability to manisfest powers whileunder it though.  still not bad
Yes, that's the workaround.  If you can make your Familiar the legal target of the Transformation (no doubt someone will toss up a link demonstrating this having been done before), it's not a trap for the Wizard, either.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »
@Aedh: Instead of exhalation of the black dragon, how about waiting until you can get 4th level powers and researching gemstone breath from Dragon Magic?

That way, instead of a single-use AoE for a bunch of power points, you get a multi-use AoE that's actually a breath weapon as well? Sure it doesn't do quite as much damage in one shot, but metapsionic (and metabreath) feats work really well on it, since they're used repeatedly with no additional opportunity cost. And manifester-level boosts are definitely your friend here.

It's rare for an instantaneous-duration power to be useful to a psywar, since they're so starved for pp. You'll eat those power points up PDQ if you're not careful.

Combat Reflexes combined with as much reach as you can get.

There are plenty of ways to maximize your pp efficiency, sure, so Earth Power isn't really a must-have. However, you need to adjust your tactics to suit. I've got a few posts in this thread to help with that.

Linked Power is a good one, as is getting additional move actions via hustle. You can also use boosts from ToB (which are especially nice as cheap magic items), assuming you're using that as a resource.

Psychic warriors have excellent powers all through their lists. Lower level powers have more inherent flexibility that's especially useful for a psywar, because they can use lower level effects to save pp as needed.

But it's all in how you want to play it.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Aedh

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2011, 12:55:13 AM »
Quote from: zugschef
it's good to see that the guide is actually helping people. =)

Very helpful indeed, as well as the discussions thereafter.

@Aedh: Instead of exhalation of the black dragon, how about waiting until you can get 4th level powers and researching gemstone breath from Dragon Magic?

That way, instead of a single-use AoE for a bunch of power points, you get a multi-use AoE that's actually a breath weapon as well? Sure it doesn't do quite as much damage in one shot, but metapsionic (and metabreath) feats work really well on it, since they're used repeatedly with no additional opportunity cost. And manifester-level boosts are definitely your friend here.

It's rare for an instantaneous-duration power to be useful to a psywar, since they're so starved for pp. You'll eat those power points up PDQ if you're not careful.
I like the idea of that power much better.  Of course, the breath weapon wasn't something I was dead set on but after reading that power the multiple use is really sexy.  I could definitely wait and research it.

There are plenty of ways to maximize your pp efficiency, sure, so Earth Power isn't really a must-have. However, you need to adjust your tactics to suit. I've got a few posts in this thread to help with that.

I was trying to find a spot for that feat because I wanted some more AoO which is why I questioned the value of Earth Sense/Earth Power.  I think I will free those up and move Synad Multitask down to a future pick (deciding later how valuable it is to me) and grab Combat Reflexes now (level3).  I was planning on not blowing powers every fight so I think I can mitigate usage adequately...the DMs seem to be standard with 4-5 encounters an outing.

Linked Power is a good one, as is getting additional move actions via hustle. You can also use boosts from ToB (which are especially nice as cheap magic items), assuming you're using that as a resource.

Yes, I have access to that book, both DMs have been very cool at allowing supplement books.  I will look at it to see what you speak of.  I have been researching but haven't made it through all the books I have yet...that is one of them.

Psychic warriors have excellent powers all through their lists. Lower level powers have more inherent flexibility that's especially useful for a psywar, because they can use lower level effects to save pp as needed.

Being completely new to 3.5, I'm not really sure how I want to play it which is why I went "cookie cutter" with the style I was intrigued in.  The only thing I know is that Inertial Armor is what I will be using all the time, Expansion when needed, after that trial and error. The limited amount of powers you can select make it difficult for me to know what I can do.  I like the sound of Precog Defense, Power Weapon, but not enough room.

Thanks for your comments Lycanthromancer

EDIT: to fix quotes
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:58:59 AM by Aedh »
"People are rendered sociable by their inability to endure solitude, that is to say, their own society. They become sick of themselves  It is this vacuity of soul that drives them to intercourse with others..." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »

I like the idea of that power much better.  Of course, the breath weapon wasn't something I was dead set on but after reading that power the multiple use is really sexy.  I could definitely wait and research it.
Since the initial damage is so low without boosting the heck out of it, it's more for whatever rider-effects you can throw on it than straight-out damage. But blinding your foes will help you with laying the smack down between turns, so that's definitely a plus.

I find the easiest way to optimize gemstone breath is to find yourself a secondary breath weapon (dragonborn [heart] is great for this), then start taking metabreath and metapsionic feats ASAP and use your regular powers to supplement your breath weapons.

But this isn't the build you're looking for. However, it's really cool anyway.

I was trying to find a spot for that feat because I wanted some more AoO which is why I questioned the value of Earth Sense/Earth Power.  I think I will free those up and move Synad Multitask down to a future pick (deciding later how valuable it is to me) and grab Combat Reflexes now (level3).  I was planning on not blowing powers every fight so I think I can mitigate usage adequately...the DMs seem to be standard with 4-5 encounters an outing.
Synad multitask is quite limited in use. I doubt you'll find many situations where you'll want to use it more than 1/day unless you work it into your standard modus operandi, and if you do, 2/day won't be enough.

It's a nice benefit, but not something you should concern yourself with TOO much. As I said, it's just too limited. What are you going to use your second swift action for, if not manifesting powers? And you can't use it to manifest a power if you've already manifested a power that round. And you really don't have many options for using your swift actions other than manifesting powers. So...really, I don't see a point for a primary manifester unless you're using swift action effects from other sources.

Better to try for a ruby knight vindicator if swift actions are your cup of tea, although you'll need to homebrew a psionic equivalent...

Yes, I have access to that book, both DMs have been very cool at allowing supplement books.  I will look at it to see what you speak of.  I have been researching but haven't made it through all the books I have yet...that is one of them.
Good. It's probably one of the few things that could make Synad Multitask actually useful. See above.

Being completely new to 3.5, I'm not really sure how I want to play it which is why I went "cookie cutter" with the style I was intrigued in.  The only thing I know is that Inertial Armor is what I will be using all the time, Expansion when needed, after that trial and error. The limited amount of powers you can select make it difficult for me to know what I can do.  I like the sound of Precog Defense, Power Weapon, but not enough room.
Psywar is a titchy class, as I've said before. It takes some insight to make the class work when running dry is an issue.

Thanks for your comments Lycanthromancer
No problem. I enjoy corrupting newbies helping the inexperienced.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Aedh

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
I saw some comments from you here or on another forum about dragonborn and breath weapons.  If this char dies I will definitely try one out.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
@Aedh: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8904.msg352475#msg352475

This should help a little with pp-conservation.

Also, the dragonborn/breath weapon thing is here. It's also in the psionic tricks thread here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:19:53 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2011, 10:20:41 PM »
Lycanthromancer: Where are these gemstones from? They are totally new to me.

Handy Links

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »
Lycanthromancer: Where are these gemstones from? They are totally new to me.
Gemstone breath? That's a power from Dragon Magic. It gives you a breath weapon for 1 round/lvl that you can use as a standard action once every 2 rounds. It deals damage in an AoE and has rider-effects and energy types based on gem dragons, depending on how you augment it.

Since it's both a psionic power that deals variable damage in an AoE AND is a bona-fide breath weapon with a recharge time measured in rounds (ie, 2), both metapsionic feats and metabreath feats work on it (including feats such as Entangling Breath).

[edit] Also, you could potentially get a +4 to your DCs by taking Ability Focus (psionics) and Ability Focus (breath weapon). Only it's not really that good an idea since it's a feat-intensive build anyway (and how!).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:34:44 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]