Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127633 times)

Ian Frost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #840 on: August 21, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
Q226: Is there any way you can get a Animal Companion or a Special Mount count as a Familiar?
A226: Animal Companion, yes. Arcane Hierophant, Races of the Wild
My notes indicate that the Champions of Valor web enhancement has something mount and familiar related, I haven't checked it through

Edit: here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a
page four, its a fifth level alternative class feature for a wizard
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:35:05 PM by Ian Frost »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #841 on: August 21, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
Q 227: Are most/all of the books on psionics published by Dreamscarred Press considered balanced and well-made or just Untapped Potential?  I've decided that the Vancian system is annoying me and I'm ready to finally make a psionic character (whenever a new PbP game pops up anyway  :p) and want to know what is good material to look at.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #842 on: August 21, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Q 227: Are most/all of the books on psionics published by Dreamscarred Press considered balanced and well-made or just Untapped Potential?  I've decided that the Vancian system is annoying me and I'm ready to finally make a psionic character (whenever a new PbP game pops up anyway  :p) and want to know what is good material to look at.
I've not noticed anything really "out there". They have an SRD too.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #843 on: August 21, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »
Q 224:The Battledancer, from the Dragon Magazine Compendium
It doesn't scale very well, the dr penetration costs actions to activate, and there's little support for it.  Probably most useful as a one-level dip for cha-to-ac.

Q225: Do you guys know whats the highest possible acheivable charisma with 3 LA? 1no restrictions but Homebrew stuff and 3rd party (except for hyperconcious).

Thx

EDIT: Possibly with no lost Wisdom.
Death-Touched (Dragon #313, p166) +4 Charisma, +1 LA.

The Fire-Souled Template (Dragon #314, p23) Gives +4 Charisma for +1 LA, and a number of other cool effects.
Saint Template (Book of Exalted Deeds p184) gives +4 Charisma (and lots of goodies) for +2 LA, but requires feats and goody-goody behavior.
Half-Fey Template (Fiend Folio, p89) Gives +4 Charisma for +2 LA, plus wings and things. (har har)
Half-Nymph Template (Dragon #313 p95) +4 Charisma for +2 LA. Also, +2 to Dex, Int, and Wis.
Radiant Template (Dragon #321 p74) Gives +6 Charisma for +3 LA. Also, Fast Healing 2 while in light, and you become an outsider.
Mirage Mullah Template (Sandstorm p177) Give +6 Charisma for +3 LA. It also has nice SLAs, but has weakness to daylight, including a -4 Charisma penalty.
Fire souled is La +3.  Crystalkeep is notoriously bad.

Q121: What is the highest Charisma modifier/score which can be made at chargen with any ECL +0 combination of templates and races?
Q121a: If ECL +1 was permitted?

A121: Magic-Blooded(dragon 306) Unseelie Fey(dragon compendium) Lesser Cansin(dragon 297) gets a +6.  (-2 str, +2 dex, -2 con, +2 int,-2 wis, +6 cha).  Replace lesser cansin with lesser aasimar to zero out int and wisdom if you want.  
Magic-blooded unseelie fey venerable Dragonwrought  desert kobold gets a +7. (-6 str, +4 dex, -2 con, -1 wis, +3 int, +7 cha)

A121b: draconic magic-blooded unseelie fey venerable dragonwrought desert kobold gets a +9 charisma, and if you pick up your first level feat after templates are is taken into account, ends up with you being a dragon.  Final stat mods would be -4 str, +4 dex, -1 wis , +3 int, +9 cha

Otherwise, magic-blooded feytouched 0/ half-fey transition class 1 gives +2 dex, -2 con, +6 cha, at LA+1.  Toss on phrenic for a bunch of psi-likes and another +4 cha +2 wis +2 int.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:29:06 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #845 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
Q229: What would a widened Su Strike look like?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #846 on: August 22, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »
If it has an area of effect, like Inferno Blast, the area would be increased.

If the maneuver does not have an area of effect, I don't think the Widen Supernatural Ability feat can affect the maneuver.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #847 on: August 22, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »

Like a normal Su Strike if you zoomed in a little.
Planetouched Handbook

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #848 on: August 22, 2010, 02:22:17 AM »

Like a normal Su Strike if you zoomed in a little.
Relevant comedic youtube video.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #849 on: August 22, 2010, 03:09:07 AM »
Q 230:  Was there a feat (regional, I think) that gave a wizard proficiency with all martial weapons?  If so, where can I find it?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #850 on: August 22, 2010, 03:09:49 AM »
Q 230:  Was there a feat (regional, I think) that gave a wizard proficiency with all martial weapons?  If so, where can I find it?
Otherworldly.  PGtF, IIRC.
Planetouched Handbook

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #851 on: August 22, 2010, 03:17:03 AM »
A230  There is also Militia.  Otherworldly gives some other benefits as well for use with Alter Self, etc.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #852 on: August 22, 2010, 03:19:26 AM »
Otherworldly.  PGtF, IIRC.
That (as well as the Militia feat on the same page) works in some circumstances, but let me try to narrow it down so it's useful to me.

Q 231: Is there a feat that would grant a goblin wizard from no specific region proficiency with all martial weapons?  If so, where can I find it?

Saw in Complete Warrior that Improved Familiar with CL 3rd and BAB +3 and the right alignment can get you a worg familiar... I'm trying to figure out how viable it is to make a goblin worg cavalry gish.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #853 on: August 22, 2010, 03:47:37 AM »
Celestial-attended birth can get you otherworldly regardless of lack of region, IIRC.
Planetouched Handbook

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #854 on: August 22, 2010, 03:51:11 AM »
Celestial-attended birth can get you otherworldly regardless of lack of region, IIRC.
Does that also get around the requirement to be Deep Imaskari, elf, or spirit folk?  And where can I find rules for it?

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #855 on: August 22, 2010, 05:29:04 AM »
Q232: Is there a way to increase the DC to break out of Masterwork Manacles (Str DC28).

Q233: Additionally, if said manacles were enchanted, is there a way to make them stronger/harder to break out of?

Q234: Without the MiC, How can I make myself enlarged as per the spell?
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #856 on: August 22, 2010, 05:57:38 AM »
Q234: Without the MiC, How can I make myself enlarged as per the spell?
You could just put an item that continually does so, like a cloak, or bracers. Spell level 1 x caster level 1 x 2000 x 2 = 4000.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: August 22, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »
Q232: Is there a way to increase the DC to break out of Masterwork Manacles (Str DC28).

Q233: Additionally, if said manacles were enchanted, is there a way to make them stronger/harder to break out of?
Make them out of a stronger material, or cast Harden on them, etc. Dwarvencraft would a little bit, I think.

Enchanted how? like a weapon or armor? Considering that increases hardness and HP, I imagine it would increase the DC to break them as well, but I don't know of an official rule to back that up.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
Q235

If a player character makes a saving throw (will in particular) should the player be informed? Say my character was scryed, I should get a DC 20 int check to see the sensor, my character also made a will save, does the DM ever have to tell me about it or can he make the roll in secret and never reveal any information to me, the player?

Thanks

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #859 on: August 22, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
Q235

If a player character makes a saving throw (will in particular) should the player be informed? Say my character was scryed, I should get a DC 20 int check to see the sensor, my character also made a will save, does the DM ever have to tell me about it or can he make the roll in secret and never reveal any information to me, the player?

Thanks
If a character makes a will save, per the phb, they know they saved against something. They may not necessarily know the source, or what the effect was (without using Spellcraft or the like), but they know they saved against something. If they fail the save, they never know about it unless something else clues them in to it (ie, saw someone cast, heard someone chanting, etc). Even then, it's not necessarily something they know occurred, especially in the case of charms and compulsions.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]