Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127389 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #680 on: August 18, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
Q 172 I'm not sure how to word this. Got a player with a half-elf bard with 40 CHA and less than 20 in every other stat (even with a belt of mag +6). He likes the idea of being a diplomancer, and no amount of talking to him has been able to change his mind. Trying to figure out a way to give that 40 CHA viable for this campaign. He's already come up with a feat that'll add his CHA modifier to his damage rolls, but don't know of anything else.

Is there a way to add that bonus to attack, or hit points, or something else? He's got room for one more feat too.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #681 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
Q 172 I'm not sure how to word this. Got a player with a half-elf bard with 40 CHA and less than 20 in every other stat (even with a belt of mag +6). He likes the idea of being a diplomancer, and no amount of talking to him has been able to change his mind. Trying to figure out a way to give that 40 CHA viable for this campaign. He's already come up with a feat that'll add his CHA modifier to his damage rolls, but don't know of anything else.

Is there a way to add that bonus to attack, or hit points, or something else? He's got room for one more feat too.

Fairy Mysteries Initiate. Snowflake Wardance.  Marshal Aura to add CHA to initiative.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #682 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »
Fairy Mysteries Initiate. Snowflake Wardance.  Marshal Aura to add CHA to initiative.
I don't know about the first one, but the wardance sounds like what he took. Instead of Motivate Dexterity he took Motivate Charisma.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #683 on: August 18, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »
FMI keyes of INT, not CHA.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6708.msg219712#msg219712

It's chaotic evil, but I'm sure something in there can be used.
Arcane Duellist, Monk and Ascetic Mage at the very least.

Also, 1 level dip into Binder is almost mandatory for Naberius.
Standard action diplomacy that you can always take 10 on?
Nice stuff.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #684 on: August 18, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »
Q 171. What class makes the best Grappler for a Goliath?
War hulk?
incarnate splash.
Don't forget cancer mage.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #685 on: August 18, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »
Character's already built. He just needs one extra feat used up which we're hoping can use his insane CHA to good use.

Character is a bard 14/half-elf paragon 3/psion 1/marshal 1/warlock 1. The character was built solely to diplomance. His unrolled, unmodified checks for Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate is +65. With spells, and other modifiers, it's +101 before rolling.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #686 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #687 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
Q 173: I dimly remember a feat existing that let you make unarmed strikes as if they were two-handed weapons, I think you had to be a dwarf to take it but I'm not sure.  What is this feat and where is it?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #688 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
X Stat to Y Bonus.
Q 174 Do elves and half-elves count as "fey" for prerequisites of feats?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #689 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »
A173: Hammer Fist from Races of Faerun.  Dwarves only.  Actually only gives 1.5 xSTR to damage, not truly treating it as two-handed.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #690 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:21 PM »
A173: Hammer Fist from Races of Faerun.  Dwarves only.  Actually only gives 1.5 xSTR to damage, not truly treating it as two-handed.
No extra help for power-attacking then, eh?

Hmmm... might still be useful for the setup I'm thinking of.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #691 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
The feat specifically states you must use both hands to make the attack.  But I think RoF was from 3.0, back in the day before power attack was doubled for 2-handers.  Might be worth running past your DM at the very least.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #692 on: August 18, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
Yeah, I just looked at the feat.  Probably not so useful if you don't currently have hands.

Was looking into feat options for a dragonborn mongrelfolk ranger 2/stoneblessed (dwarf-bonded) 3/fist of the forest 1/deepwarden 2/barbarian 1/bear warrior 1/warshaper 2.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #693 on: August 18, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »
X Stat to Y Bonus.
A 174

No. You need to be of the Fey type for that.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #694 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
Q175: If you have Improved Grab and are using it to not be considered grappling while holding an opponent, can you use a free hand to attack your opponent normally?

Q175B: As an extension to this, could you use one or two-handed weapons to attack your opponent, since even though being in a grapple normally disqualifies those from use, you don't count as being in a grapple because of Improved Grab?

Q175C: Would such an attack be made with the grappled opponent denied DEX to AC vs you? Normal grappling says than when grappled you are denied DEX to AC against opponents not in a grapple - but a creature grappling with Improved Grab doesn't count as in a grapple despite grappling a creature.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #695 on: August 18, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
X Stat to Y Bonus.

A 174: No.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: August 18, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
Q 176 Where can I find the Mantle of Freedom feat? Google doesn't work, and the X to Y thread says Dungeon 104? pg? (I can't find it in that book).

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #697 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
Q177: How awesome is Soul Manifester? <from MoI web enhancement-addon-thingy, I think> And are there any builds using it, about?
Q177B: SoulCaster any good?

A176: Probably referring to Dungeon Magazine, issue 104?

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
The feat specifically states you must use both hands to make the attack.  But I think RoF was from 3.0, back in the day before power attack was doubled for 2-handers.  Might be worth running past your DM at the very least.
+1.  For the record, unless I thought the build was hopelessly broken, and what are the odds of that?, I'd totally let it count your unarmed strikes as 2-handed.  You're paying a feat (2, if you think of improved unarmed strike as one) for something any jackass w/ a club can do.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #699 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »
Q178: Prestige Classes like Sapphire Hierarch say that they give you +1 Level of existing meldshaping class (or whatever), does this include allowing you to qualify for feats that require things like "Meldshaper Level 9"?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.