Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127651 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
Q 21 Can an Initiator - from the Tome of Battle - Sword sage, warblade, etc Prepare a particular manuver more then once? I have not been able to find a definitive answer other than basing it on the fact prepared casters are able to, I prefer not to  Ass-U-Me.

No, they can't. This was clarified in the ToB FAQ or Errata, IIRC. Sorry I don't have a link to the official answer, but I'm sure they can't.
Not the errata, since that changed to Complete Mage's mid-word.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
Q 21 Can an Initiator - from the Tome of Battle - Sword sage, warblade, etc Prepare a particular manuver more then once? I have not been able to find a definitive answer other than basing it on the fact prepared casters are able to, I prefer not to  Ass-U-Me.

No, they can't. This was clarified in the ToB FAQ or Errata, IIRC. Sorry I don't have a link to the official answer, but I'm sure they can't.
Not the errata, since that changed to Complete Mage's mid-word.
it's the FAQ on it, check under the old 339 boards in the tob thread.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

spacemonkey555

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
Q.20 - Can Venomfire be Maximized?  :smirk

A20 No, the spell grants a nonvariable nonnumeric quality (venom is now acidic), which happens to deal a variable numeric amount of damage per use. The other way to look at the spell means maximized polymorph grants maximum damage from all natural attacks, extraordinary special attacks, etc. Maybe raw, but then by raw drowning can heal you if youre under 0 hp.

If you can find a dm who lets you use the spell, you may as well ask for maximization too, and a daily item of 1 use maximized venomfire usable only by your class and race for 10% of the reasonable cost, to save the spellslot. You'll probably get it.

Q.22 What 3.5 book has the rules for team guardian spirits? They worked like a team benefit iirc but required some kind of summoning or ritual. Read it once, and now can't find it in any of my books or my friend's books.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
Q23 Could someone please point me to a low level build compendium or useful thread. Level 10 or under, 5 is the desired level. Thank you >_>

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
Q23 Could someone please point me to a low level build compendium or useful thread. Level 10 or under, 5 is the desired level. Thank you >_>
Compilation of Low Level Builds. It's right at the top of the second page in the Handbooks section. :p
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »

This only helps to confirm my theory about KevinVideo and his fellow gamers up there in the Great White North. They must all be either always incredibly drunk/high and/or suffering from wild bouts of cabin fever, based on his stories. That + insane D&D games sound like the only things keeping them from jumping into a frozen lake to end it all.

I'm from the Great White North and it's not quite so bad up here. Kevin just has all the luck it seems. :P

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
Q 6:Is there a feat that makes paladin levels count as fighter levels for feat prerequirements?
Bump
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »

I have an iPod Touch. It auto-spell checks.  He has no excuse.   :P
A lot of papal turn it of because mentioning monsters like the terrarium or coats or game terms like simulcasting end up getting replaced with a submersible alternative.

Q 6:Is there a feat that makes paladin levels count as fighter levels for feat prerequirements?

Don't think so.  Maaaaybe Divine Champion ACF (CC) does that?  You lose spellcasting, though.

Q 8 Where can I find the "refined" weapon ability?

Haven't heard of it.  Probably third party.
Q 10 Got an ogre mage with other HD class levels. It says "class levels +4" for determining their caster level. If they have a total of 13 HD, but only 5 of which are from the orge mage itself, it still counts as a 17th level caster, correct?
I'd say yes.
Q 11 Where can I find the feat Mad Skills or Mad Skillz? It's a barbarian feat.
Sounds like a 3rd party.  Quintessential barbarian?
Q 12
Probably anything 49+ is colossal.

Q 14 I just finished making a CR 185 Tarrasque, just because I could, and it has SR 161. How nuts is that?
Almost as nuts as it still being killed by a handful of allips

Q 16 Is there a standard dragonborn race much like 4th Ed, or do you have to sacrifice your base race every time with that ritual?

It's basically a jumped up template
Q 17 Looked at the Trickster variant version of the Spellthief, and I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, but considering all that you lose, is it really worth taking over the original? Yeah you get to be a full caster, and have 6th level spells as a bard, but you lose all but 1 of your sneak attack, you lose 1/3 of all your class skills (including bluff, disable device, escape artist, hide, jump, move silently, open lock, search, swim, and tumble), and 2 skill points per level.
Depends.  It's got better synergy w.r.t master spellthief, and you can regain sneak attack via hunter's eye.  It's rather balanced, really, since you actually have to think hard about whether or not you want to.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:37:49 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2010, 02:16:31 AM »
Q 11 Where can I find the feat Mad Skills or Mad Skillz? It's a barbarian feat.
Sounds like a 3rd party.  Quintessential barbarian?
Nope, I looked.

Probably anything 49+ is colossal.
But wouldn't it have a maximum?

Q 17 Looked at the Trickster variant version of the Spellthief, and I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, but considering all that you lose, is it really worth taking over the original? Yeah you get to be a full caster, and have 6th level spells as a bard, but you lose all but 1 of your sneak attack, you lose 1/3 of all your class skills (including bluff, disable device, escape artist, hide, jump, move silently, open lock, search, swim, and tumble), and 2 skill points per level.
Depends.  It's got better synergy w.r.t master spellthief, and you can regain sneak attack via hunter's eye.  It's rather balanced, really, since you actually have to think hard about whether or not you want to.
Hunter's Eye is a ranger only spell. How would a spellthief get it? UMD the wands? It'd only be one round too, unless you used the Extend metamagic feat to make it two rounds. What's "w.r.t." stand for?

Q 24
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2010, 03:23:22 AM »
Hunter's eye probably from unseen seer.  I think the improved casting lets you have entry.

Like I said in the previous thread, you keep
-Stat mods (with the adjustments)
-Creature type and subtype
-movement modes (and speed with them)
-Size (with powerful build, if applicable)

Which allows for a lot of differentiation.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2010, 03:56:43 AM »
Hunter's eye probably from unseen seer.  I think the improved casting lets you have entry.

So my follow-up would likely be Q 25 other than kobold, what are the most worthwhile races to abandon in favour of the dragonborn? Especially since you only get a breath weapon or darkvision or wings. The +2 dodge and immunity to frightful presence isn't all that enticing unless you know it's going to be a dragon-based campaign.

Looking it over, a half-orc gets the least amount of stuff, and there aren't too many "orc only" items. So that'd definitely be one. The regular orc has it the worst, by far.

EDIT: Q 26 If you had a natural attack, would you lose that too?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:09:41 AM by kevin_video »

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »
Hunter's eye probably from unseen seer.  I think the improved casting lets you have entry.

So my follow-up would likely be Q 25 other than kobold, what are the most worthwhile races to abandon in favour of the dragonborn? Especially since you only get a breath weapon or darkvision or wings. The +2 dodge and immunity to frightful presence isn't all that enticing unless you know it's going to be a dragon-based campaign.

Looking it over, a half-orc gets the least amount of stuff, and there aren't too many "orc only" items. So that'd definitely be one. The regular orc has it the worst, by far.

EDIT: Q 26 If you had a natural attack, would you lose that too?
Warforged. You lose only two things (Composite Plating and Light Fortification) which you can regain better versions of, if you really want to, since you still qualify as Warforged.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
Think so.

Raptorans are good, as are ooze paragenasi.  Possibly air mephlings.

Since you lose the bonus feat/skill points, humans are a pretty bad choice.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2010, 04:26:53 AM »
Warforged. You lose only two things (Composite Plating and Light Fortification) which you can regain better versions of, if you really want to, since you still qualify as Warforged.
Can worforged even do that? I mean, I know they're living constructs, but that seems like it'd be pushing it.

Since you lose the bonus feat/skill points, humans are a pretty bad choice.
Those were my thoughts exactly.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:39:13 AM by kevin_video »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2010, 04:38:07 AM »
Can worforged even do that? I mean, I know they're living constructs, but that seems like it'd be pushing it.

No reason they shouldn't.  All the Rite of Rebirth requires is Int 3 or higher, non-evil alignment, 2 days of meditation and sleep, a few dragonscales and an egg made of parts worth 100 gp.  The sleep is the hardest part, and it's brought up time and again in the rules that things that don't sleep can still get benefits of things requiring sleep as long as they take an inactive period of the same length.

To really fuck with your mind, be aware that a warforged could go duskblade -> dragon disciple and become a half-dragon half-warforged, despite not having a drop of dragon blood (or any other blood, for that matter).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:40:04 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2010, 04:40:32 AM »
No reason they shouldn't.  All the Rite of Rebirth requires is Int 3 or higher, non-evil alignment, 2 days of meditation and sleep, a few dragonscales and an egg made of parts worth 100 gp.  The sleep is the hardest part, and it's brought up time and again in the rules that things that don't sleep can still get benefits of things requiring sleep as long as they take an inactive period of the same length.

To really fuck with your mind, be aware that a warforged could go duskblade -> dragon disciple and become a half-dragon half-warforged, despite not being a creature type the template applies to, and certainly not having a drop of dragon blood (or any other blood, for that matter).
Yeah... that really does mess with my mind.  :o It just doesn't seem possible. Now here's the thing with that, and why it scares me. The words from my DM "Oh, we'll see about that." when I said I'd eventually go warforged so he couldn't fuck with me and add template levels again, against my will.

Q 27 For the purposes of the dragonscale husk ACF (Dragon Magic) for all classes with heavy armor, where you gain armor bonus 6 + 1/3 the class level with heavy armor proficiency, what happens when you take on a PrC that doesn't give you any proficiencies at all? Does it stop at the highest base class level?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:16:48 AM by kevin_video »

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »
Q 28. Are there any good DM tools worth getting? I got DM Genie but it seems like alot of extra work, along with alot of stuff I dont really want.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »
Q 29 How many domain powers does a cleric gain access to on any given day? Like a cleric/ordained champion/contemplative would have many domains, but only access the spells from one of them (unless they had the Spontaneous Domains feat or ACF). But how many of the powers would they have access to?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »
Q 29 How many domain powers does a cleric gain access to on any given day? Like a cleric/ordained champion/contemplative would have many domains, but only access the spells from one of them (unless they had the Spontaneous Domains feat or ACF). But how many of the powers would they have access to?

Where did you get the idea that a cleric only has access to spells from one of his domains per day?  Is this another creation of your parade of retard DMs?  A cleric only has one domain slot per spell level, and has to choose from which domain to fill each slot, but there's no reason he can't fill different levels of domain slots with spells from different domains.

Also, it's explicitly stated that a cleric with 2 domains gets the granted powers of both.  Simple enough to figure out what happens if he has 3 or more domains.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

Where did you get the idea that a cleric only has access to spells from one of his domains per day?  Is this another creation of your parade of retard DMs?  A cleric only has one domain slot per spell level, and has to choose from which domain to fill each slot, but there's no reason he can't fill different levels of domain slots with spells from different domains.

Also, it's explicitly stated that a cleric with 2 domains gets the granted powers of both.  Simple enough to figure out what happens if he has 3 or more domains.
Both DMs actually have states the first part. It's a matter of interpretation.

With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot.

You get one, or the other. Their argument being, if you could have one spell from each domain, you wouldn't need a feat like Spontaneous Domains, which allows you to choose different spells from the domains.