Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition  (Read 127659 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Losing the Game Edition
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:36 PM »
Bump for 53 and...

Q 54 Can someone show me the rule that says "yay" or "nay" to this??? "Clerics and Paladins who do not have their holy symbol, can not cast their divine spells. The easiest way to defeat a Paladin and Cleric is sunder their holy symbol, and then wail on them while their now broken brain and soul tries to figure out what they're going to do because all of their spells are now unusable." Quote from a DM.

I just thought a paladin and cleric needed it as a focus for certain spells, and for turning/destroying/rebuking undead. I mean, was the spell Summon Holy Symbol simply for the cleric and paladin who just happened to take Spell Mastery and learned that as one of the INT modifier (forever) memorized spells?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
A 54: Derp.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:57:20 PM by Rymosrac »
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2010, 10:50:46 PM »
A 54: Yes, divine casters (Cleric & Paladins) need their holy symbol as a divine focus for their spells.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
If the Components line includes F/DF or M/DF, the arcane version of the spell has a focus component or a material component (the abbreviation before the slash) and the divine version has a divine focus component (the abbreviation after the slash)."

If there's no DF component, there's no need for the holy symbol by RAW.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
Bump for 53 and...

Q 54 Can someone show me the rule that says "yay" or "nay" to this??? "Clerics and Paladins who do not have their holy symbol, can not cast their divine spells. The easiest way to defeat a Paladin and Cleric is sunder their holy symbol, and then wail on them while their now broken brain and soul tries to figure out what they're going to do because all of their spells are now unusable." Quote from a DM.

I just thought a paladin and cleric needed it as a focus for certain spells, and for turning/destroying/rebuking undead. I mean, was the spell Summon Holy Symbol simply for the cleric and paladin who just happened to take Spell Mastery and learned that as one of the INT modifier (forever) memorized spells?

A) Only for spells with a divine focus component
B) It's not at all difficult to have like ten or twenty. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
Bump for 53 and...

This, and barely any spells require a divine focus component. Page through you PHB. There are maybe 1 or 2 at the most per spell level, and there are usually 50+ per spell level if you include other source books.

So losing a divine focus usually has zero significance.

Your DM hasn't read the rules.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2010, 01:05:07 AM »
Bump for 53 and...

This, and barely any spells require a divine focus component. Page through you PHB. There are maybe 1 or 2 at the most per spell level, and there are usually 50+ per spell level if you include other source books.

So losing a divine focus usually has zero significance.

Your DM hasn't read the rules.
That, or he's only read the rules that he was directly looking for.

And thanks for the reference, guys. I'll use it for my next gaming session.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2010, 02:10:03 AM »
Q 53 Other than the Wand Bracer, is there an item that can hold a decent number of wands?
A53
There's always the Rod of Wands (somewhere in Eberron) .... but I'm not sure that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

There's also a bandoleer thingy for scrolls -- you may be able to re-flavor that for wands :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2010, 02:11:59 AM »
Q 53 Other than the Wand Bracer, is there an item that can hold a decent number of wands?
A53
There's always the Rod of Wands (somewhere in Eberron) .... but I'm not sure that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

There's also a bandoleer thingy for scrolls -- you may be able to re-flavor that for wands
Just something to hold and carry a number of wands. A wand of bracers would work fine if the character had room for it, but I'm just looking for something to store the wands in. Like a sheath for a sword, or a quiver for arrows, but for wands.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2010, 02:18:24 AM »
A53

There's also a bandoleer thingy for scrolls -- you may be able to re-flavor that for wands
Just something to hold and carry a number of wands. A wand of bracers would work fine if the character had room for it, but I'm just looking for something to store the wands in. Like a sheath for a sword, or a quiver for arrows, but for wands.

I think you can carry wands in a quiver.  IIRC, the nonSRD version of the efficient quiver mentions wands...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:34 AM »
A53

I think you can carry wands in a quiver.  IIRC, the nonSRD version of the efficient quiver mentions wands...
Doesn't the SRD include the errata changes?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2010, 02:24:46 AM »
A53

Handy haversack?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2010, 02:25:48 AM »
A53

Handy haversack?
Got one. Just looking for something that might have been wand specific. If the wand bracer's it, then that's fine. Just wanted to ask.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2010, 02:28:48 AM »
Q55a: Does the concept of disenchanting magic items, or uncreating magic items for a resource that can be used in magic item crafting exist in wotc 3.5e D&D rules, or was that ONLY added for 4th edition?

Q55b: Is there a writeup of a substance that can substitute for XP for crafting purposes anywhere in 3.5e? if so, what is it?
BG's other resident furry!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2010, 02:30:21 AM »
Q 56 How do I know if a book I've picked up recently is 3.0 or 3.5, and it doesn't have an obvious telltale sign like "DR 30/+4"?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2010, 02:36:35 AM »
Q55a: Does the concept of disenchanting magic items, or uncreating magic items for a resource that can be used in magic item crafting exist in wotc 3.5e D&D rules, or was that ONLY added for 4th edition?
Artificier, Retain Essence.

Q55b: Is there a writeup of a substance that can substitute for XP for crafting purposes anywhere in 3.5e? if so, what is it?
Only one I know of is using souls from BoVD.

Q 57: Does having water breathing cast upon you confer the ability to successfully cast a spell with a verbal component while underwater?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2010, 02:40:41 AM »
Q 56 How do I know if a book I've picked up recently is 3.0 or 3.5, and it doesn't have an obvious telltale sign like "DR 30/+4"?
Check the wizard's website, check here with us, or look at the print date in the front. 3.0 shifted to 3.5 in, what, end of 02? Early 03? BoVD and Savage Species were the last two 3.0 books to hit print. Anything after them is 3.5.

Oh,also, check the back of thebook. In the fine print where it talks about what books you need to run the game,it sometimes says "this book is a supplemental book for the 3.5 edition blahblahblah" or something like that. Sometimesit says it on the credits page in the front. Most don't, however. Year printed is the most sure way.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
Check the wizard's website, check here with us, or look at the print date in the front. 3.0 shifted to 3.5 in, what, end of 02? Early 03? BoVD and Savage Species were the last two 3.0 books to hit print. Anything after them is 3.5.

Oh,also, check the back of thebook. In the fine print where it talks about what books you need to run the game,it sometimes says "this book is a supplemental book for the 3.5 edition blahblahblah" or something like that. Sometimesit says it on the credits page in the front. Most don't, however. Year printed is the most sure way.
The ones I'm looking at are definitely 2002.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2010, 02:53:51 AM »

The transition to 3.5 was June (July?) 2003.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »
Q58 Why are kobold sorcerers so good? What is the thing that gives them extra levels for free called?

Also:

Check Complete Scoundral.  Winged Watcher or something like that

Thanks, that must have been the one I remembered, but I remembered it as being a sor/wiz spell, sad.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:29:57 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out