Author Topic: Why are Elves considered Bad choices for Combat?  (Read 21973 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Why are Elves considered Bad choices for Combat?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 07:44:23 PM »
Don't forget to add some UMD in there.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »
Anything elves can do celadrin can do better.
celadrin? ...reference?

:D

CeladrinComplete Medicine are a sub-race of elves who were blessed by Pelor with joint pain relief, which gives them a much bigger Dex bonus and negates their Con penalty for Fort saves.
The lesser variation (as seen in the publications by Doctor 350) loses the [analgesic] type, replacing it with a standard humanoid[painkiller].  This decreases the LA to +0, and includes HMO coverage.
But does lose out on the free surgical implement proficiency, which is commonly retrained.
Yeah, but when you get the feats to be proficient with scalpels, sutures, and anesthesia machines, who really needs anything else?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
celadrin? ...reference?

CeladrinComplete Medicine are a sub-race of elves who were blessed by Pelor with joint pain relief, which gives them a much bigger Dex bonus and negates their Con penalty for Fort saves.
The lesser variation (as seen in the publications by Doctor 350) loses the [analgesic] type, replacing it with a standard humanoid[painkiller].  This decreases the LA to +0, and includes HMO coverage.
But does lose out on the free surgical implement proficiency, which is commonly retrained.
Yeah, but when you get the feats to be proficient with scalpels, sutures, and anesthesia machines, who really needs anything else?
Very true. Losing the [analgesic] type also makes you eligible for a much wider variety of medications that wouldn't affect you otherwise and lets you bypass the pharmacist in favor of the drugstore.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
celadrin? ...reference?

Ok, one of three things will happen if I click that link:

1: It's an actual link to an actual book, in which case I'd get the feeling that someone went a little overboard.

2: Rick Roll.

3: Bait and Switch gag.

Clicking now....

Oh. That was fairly clever.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »
arent elves gay?

that would be reason enough :)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
I disbelieve "Medical Elves".
Since a fair percentage of Doctors are Ninjas, that would mean some Elves would invariably be Ninja Doctors.
And since Elves can't be Ninjas by the rule of They're-Not-Cool-Enough, Medical Elves cannot exist.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

This is the heart of "Ninja Logic".
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2010, 09:40:23 PM »
arent elves gay?
No. The females are bisexual or omnisexual.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
Wait, there are female elves?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
Since a fair percentage of Doctors are Ninjas, that would mean some Elves would invariably be Ninja Doctors.
And since Elves can't be Ninjas by the rule of They're-Not-Cool-Enough, Medical Elves cannot exist.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Ahh but the fallacy is that if a percentage of doctors are ninjas then there must be some that are not, thus my conclusion is that all non elf doctors are ninjas and the elves are just doctors.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Your logic is faulty. Claiming there are no ninja elves simply because you deem elves too uncool to be ninjas is wrong simply because any elf worthy of becoming a ninja would, of course, be a very good ninja (due to their racial Dex bonus). Everyone knows that a good ninja is never seen (if he is, then he's obviously a bad ninja, because that's the whole point). Therefore, any elven ninjas would be, by definition, unperceived.

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
Yes and no. Yes because they're all female, no because the lack of males eliminates the need to differentiate.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
Are you saying you've never heard of the famous Slutty Lesbian Elf Princess (who's actually bi)?
[spoiler][/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
I've also heard about fiscally responsible Democrats and compassionate conservatives, but I haven't seen any of those around.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
I've also heard about fiscally responsible Democrats and compassionate conservatives, but I haven't seen any of those around.
They are obviously ninjas then

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »
They are obviously ninjas then
I thought the head of the compassionate conservatives was Voltron?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

stanprollyright

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 11:12:33 PM »
Play the stereotype: elves make good archers, especially in nonmartial classes.  Medium, Dex bonus, autoproficiency with longbow, bonus to spot.

Gray elves I think have dex and int bonus, so they make decent rogues ('cause you're a glass cannon anyway).

Elves without con or str penalties make decent dex fighters or dex monks.

And you get to RP being stuck up and condescending :D

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »
Play the stereotype: elves make good archers, especially in nonmartial classes.  Medium, Dex bonus, autoproficiency with longbow, bonus to spot.

Gray elves I think have dex and int bonus, so they make decent rogues ('cause you're a glass cannon anyway).

Elves without con or str penalties make decent dex fighters or dex monks.

And you get to RP being stuck up and condescending :D

You can RP being stuck up and condescending on just about any race. Personally done it with dwarves, humans a succubus and a kobold.

also:
Elves are dicks

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
Elves suck because they cause people to do this.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »
The big issue isn't exactly the Con loss honestly,though it contributes greatly.
If the Elf gave ANY racial traits of significance, the Con loss might actually be worth it.
Lack of Darkvision to make the better rogues(low level ones anyway), a hit to an already weak stat for casters, overridden weapon proficiencies for warriors. All it has going for it is the odd PrC/feat where the designer believed only elves are awesome enough for and those have a tendency to have the racial requirement blankoed out by DMs.

So yeah, they need something, without the con penalty, a little something, with, a lot of something.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2010, 01:26:54 AM »
The big issue isn't exactly the Con loss honestly,though it contributes greatly.
If the Elf gave ANY racial traits of significance, the Con loss might actually be worth it.
Lack of Darkvision to make the better rogues(low level ones anyway), a hit to an already weak stat for casters, overridden weapon proficiencies for warriors. All it has going for it is the odd PrC/feat where the designer believed only elves are awesome enough for and those have a tendency to have the racial requirement blankoed out by DMs.

So yeah, they need something, without the con penalty, a little something, with, a lot of something.
Like, hypothetically speaking, +2 charisma, fire resistance 10 and scorching ray with caster level = character level?  Maybe a few skill bonuses to round it out?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.