Author Topic: Bull Rush and Reach Weapons (Dungeon Crasher Related)  (Read 7505 times)

dirkformica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Bull Rush and Reach Weapons (Dungeon Crasher Related)
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:16:13 AM »
I'm just getting back to 3.5.  I've seen the Dungeon Crasher alternative class feature in Dungeonscape and it seems like fun.  But I've never used Bull Rush... ever.  How does Bull Rush interact with Reach weapons?  If I have a Fighter charge with something like a Guisarm/Glaive/etc. do I still need to enter the enemy's space?  Can I push it with the weapon or do I have to use my whole body and thus need to enter their square?  Also, how does this interact with the feat Knockback from Races of Stone?

I guess I'm specifically looking for the attack sequence for a Dungeon Crasher with Knockback, but I'd also like to just generally know how Bull Rushing actually plays out in the game.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Bull Rush and Reach Weapons (Dungeon Crasher Related)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
How does Bull Rush interact with Reach weapons?
Not at all normally.

If I have a Fighter charge with something like a Guisarm/Glaive/etc. do I still need to enter the enemy's space?

Yes.

Can I push it with the weapon or do I have to use my whole body and thus need to enter their square?

You need the 'omph' of your body normally.

Also, how does this interact with the feat Knockback from Races of Stone?

If you have knockback, then you can Bullrush with reach, don't need to enter the square and in all general things do exactly what you're after ;)
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

dirkformica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
Thank you for your reply, I think I have a better idea of what's going down now.

Follow-up questions:
1.  Attacker WITHOUT reach, but who has power attack, improved bull rush, knockback feat, and dungeon crasher smacks an enemy who has a wall 10 feet behind it.  Attacker power attacks and hits for some damage.  He gets a free bull rush attempt from knockback, say that succeeds by 5, so the enemy is knocked back 10 feet.  It hits the wall and triggers dungeon crasher for some more damage.  Does the enemy provoke an attack of opportunity from the attacker when it is moved out of a square that the attacker threatens?

2. Any tips or tricks to get dungeon crasher to activate more often?  You're not always going to have a handy wall 5 or 10 feet behind the enemy.  Would flight allow you to crash them into the ground?  How about a really big jump?  That last one makes me think of the Leap Attack feat from Complete Adventurer...

3. EDITED TO ADD: Also, how do these options interact with tactical feats from Complete Warrior like Shock Trooper and Combat Brute?  If I had both ST and CB along with the aforementioned feats/class abilities, would I be able to power attack on a charge on round one and trigger all of the various tactical maneuvers such as Heedless Charge to shift the PA penalty to AC, Directed Bull Rush off my Knockback to force them left or right a square, possibly Domino Rush if I knock someone through another person (this one seems REALLY weird conceptually) and next round Advancing Blows from CB (thanks to the auto bull rush from Knockback,) and if I power attack Momentum Swing also activates?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:54:27 PM by dirkformica »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »
1:
I highly doubt a bullrushed opponent provokes an AoO when he's being flung backwards. Somehow I get the feeling of interupting AoO's within attack resolutions and other assorted headaches...

2:
Leadership with a focused Conjurer spamming Wall of X? :smirk
Whether or not you're allowed to Bullrush them into the ground is strictly DM territory and while I see little to no problem with it on a principal basis, the reality is that your DM will probably get tired of you massing out huge amounts of damage per turn :p

As far as jumping, Leap Attack and DungeonCrasher go, Goliaths are the race to use.
Qualify for Knockback, always running jumps, racial bonus to jump, Large Size when it suits them (opposing Str check...).
Even if you don't manage to set up some dungeoncrashing, you can still do your normal leap attack charge routine.
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

dirkformica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
Thanks again.  I was actually editing my post to refine and add question 3 when you replied.  I also now see in the description of Bull Rush on p 154 of PHB "(Note: The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved.  So do you, if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from each other, however.)"  So I don't get an AoO on the opponent I knock back, but my allies would.

Yeah, a Leap Attacking Goliath with a reach weapon along with Power Attack, Knockback, Combat Brute, Shock Trooper and Dungeon Crasher looks like a pretty fun build.  Oddly, adding the Lion Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion for Pounce could actually disrupt the flow since your last attack might not hit so you would not get to Knock them back (and you obviously don't want to knock them back on the first hit if they'll then be out of range for follow-up attacks.) 

And I don't think I'd ever do it, but I have to wonder: if you did have Pounce, if you also had Whirlwind Attack can that be used at the end of the charge with a reach weapon to hit and knock back a crowd?  To make it even more feat intensive, make sure to use the Spiked Chain to threaten more enemies.  ;)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »
I have a distinct feeling I discussed this not so long ago.
Ah, yes, here's a link :)
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8560.msg286707#msg286707

Yes, the synergy between the two tactical feats, dungeon crashing, Knockback and leap attack is ridiculous.
Sure, if you somehow manage to get Whirlwind Attack as part of a charge (not normally possible, but should be doable with Pounce) and you have enough feats to get the chain then it would be even more awesome.

Now tell me, what CR8 encounter can take 326 damage in a round? :devil

Now give me a threefold cheer for Bullrucharing :D
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 02:18:08 AM »
2. Any tips or tricks to get dungeon crasher to activate more often?  You're not always going to have a handy wall 5 or 10 feet behind the enemy.  Would flight allow you to crash them into the ground?  How about a really big jump?  That last one makes me think of the Leap Attack feat from Complete Adventurer...
As long as you can get above your opponent, you can ground pound him, yes.
It's one of the ways you can add Pounce to your hammering, with an aerial charge.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
Goomba stomp!  I didn't know Mario was a dungeon crasher!

(Warning.  Clicking that link will cost you hours of your life.)
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Andras

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
Thanks again.  I was actually editing my post to refine and add question 3 when you replied.  I also now see in the description of Bull Rush on p 154 of PHB "(Note: The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved.  So do you, if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from each other, however.)"  So I don't get an AoO on the opponent I knock back, but my allies would.

Yeah, a Leap Attacking Goliath with a reach weapon along with Power Attack, Knockback, Combat Brute, Shock Trooper and Dungeon Crasher looks like a pretty fun build.  Oddly, adding the Lion Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion for Pounce could actually disrupt the flow since your last attack might not hit so you would not get to Knock them back (and you obviously don't want to knock them back on the first hit if they'll then be out of range for follow-up attacks.) 

And I don't think I'd ever do it, but I have to wonder: if you did have Pounce, if you also had Whirlwind Attack can that be used at the end of the charge with a reach weapon to hit and knock back a crowd?  To make it even more feat intensive, make sure to use the Spiked Chain to threaten more enemies.  ;)

If you take Goliath, take the 1st level Barbarian Racial Substitution Level Mountain Rage from Races of Stone. You become Large, instead of just getting the bonuses. You get extra str and 10' extra reach.  I played a Goliath Barbarian/Fighter w Dungeon Crasher w a Spiked Chain an the 20' reach when raging was just brutal. Anything that provoked got smacked into a wall for 10d6+4.5xStr

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
I've been doing some fighter tech musing recently, and hit on a fairly decent defensive combo that works great with the super-bullrush schtick: take Robilar's Gambit and (possibly) Elusive Target. Because the effects of Power Attack last until the start of your next turn, whenever you hit someone with an AoO you get to bull rush them. This means that enemies generally will only get one attack against you before being sent flying. This is good, because your AC is abysmal. Add in Elusive Target and you can use the "first swing misses" ability + Robilar's Gambit to negate a single creature entirely.

Further, let's synergize off the AoO-schtick and take Thicket of Blades (item + Martial Stance, or 2-level dip). Now, anyone who tries to approach you gets smashed back, perfectly set up for a charge on our turn. This has the dual benefits of providing crowd control and allowing us to always be set up for a charge (provided there is room enough to begin with).
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]