Author Topic: How real do you get?  (Read 2327 times)

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
How real do you get?
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Greetings all.

I come to you here today to ask a simple question.  How much realism do you put in your games.  Now before anyone bites my head off I know that D&D in general is not exactly the best system to add in realism but do any of you add it in?

In a different game with some of the same members one player decided to play a dwarf druid with only one arm.  He is using a sling type contraption to fire glass steel bullets.  The DM ruled they are heavier and do more damage at the cost of distance.  I told them that slings are with set damage regardless of what ammo is used but they didn't really care and did the house rule anyway.

So I am here amongst the brightest and most fair gamers I know to ask.  Thanks in advance.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: How real do you get?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
to a certain extent, the heavier ammo doing more damage makes sense. Though if you're going to do that, any weapon made heavier should do more damage, could be a slippery slope.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
For the most part, I look more to balance and fun before realism.  If realism isn't getting in the way of the other two, then I'll try to make things as realistic as I can.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:35:56 AM »
The best way to add realism to D&D is make a "Non spellcasting classes only, non spellcasting feats and options only, use E6, use Codex Martialis rules. And maybe do something to the hit point system."

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=65250
http://www.codexmartialis.com/

And I would maybe look at combining SOME of the tome of battle stuff into the codex martialis, the stuff that 'fits' at least, in ways inspired by the discussion in this thread:

http://www.codexmartialis.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158
BG's other resident furry!

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:43:16 AM »
The best way to add realism to D&D is make a "Non spellcasting classes only, non spellcasting feats and options only, use E6, use Codex Martialis rules. And maybe do something to the hit point system."

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=65250
http://www.codexmartialis.com/

And I would maybe look at combining SOME of the tome of battle stuff into the codex martialis, the stuff that 'fits' at least, in ways inspired by the discussion in this thread:

http://www.codexmartialis.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158

You would be much better off playing somthing other than D&D by this point, D20 has a few time periods to choose from if i remember correctly.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:10:53 AM »
Realism < Fun.  Ideally in a situation where what would realistically happen is more fun than what the rules suggest, change the rules, that's what Rule 0 is for (but do be consistent with changes).  If what would realistically happen is less fun than what the rules suggest, hang realism and get on with the game.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:20:35 AM »
Well, I myself try to keep things on the fantastic side of the line, but I'm not above throwing in a little realism every now and then. One of my players is a chemist with a minor in engineering, and he happens to like figuring out equations (so every now and then I ask him to crunch some numbers, since I do have some physics lessons under my belt). When that happens, it usually results in something so stupid its funny. But when it gets in the way of the rules/entertainment I let everyone know the textbooks are being put away for a bit.

For example, I've let the afore mentioned player use real-world physics as a means of finding clues in certain murder scenarios. He's very good at figuring these things out. It confuses a few of the others, though most of us are able to help him solve equations. Hell, there's been a time when we put his engineering minor to good use through creative trapmaking checks.

Yes, I am aware Catgirls are an endangered species.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »
You would be much better off playing somthing other than D&D by this point, D20 has a few time periods to choose from if i remember correctly.

But for combat? What RPG system has as realistic armed melee rules as Codex Martialis, though?  There is the one it was somewhat based on, The Riddle of Steel, but that's all I can think of... I don't know of any other RPGs other than those two that got swordfighting realistic, and based on real world swordfighting martial arts...
BG's other resident furry!