Author Topic: What could you do with this template?  (Read 1051 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
What could you do with this template?
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:08:01 AM »
My DM came up with this to represent the warped (and playable!) offspring of creatures taken as familiars.  I've edited it a bit for clarity, but he's in the process of tweaking it, too.  I want to see where/how/if it breaks so any trouble can be headed off at the pass, without having the scrap the template altogether.  He'll be reading this later, so if you think it's a really bad idea please try to keep the insults reasonable.  ;)

Maganimal

"Maganimal" is an inherited template that can be applied to any animal or vermin of one hit die or less that can be chosen as a familiar at first level. A maganimal uses the base creature's statistics and abilities except as listed here.

Size and Type:  The creature's type changes to magical beast.  Size is unchanged.  Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves; the maganimal replaces its racial hit die with its first class level.
Armor Class:  Natural armor improves  by +2.
Special Qualities: A maganimal gains evasion and the ability to speak with animals of its kind, as the familiar abilities.  It also gains spell resistance equal to 5 + 1/2 its hit dice, and the Open Bond and Equipment Deficiency abilities.

Open Bond (Su): A maganimal who spends at least one week in close contact with another intelligent creature can form a special bond with it. While within 20 feet of that creature, the maganimal gains a +1 bonus on all skill and ability checks. While more than 20 feet away but still within sight, these bonuses do not apply. If out of sight, the maganimal instead takes a -1 penalty on all skill and ability checks. This same penalty applies to a maganimal without a bond.
Equipment Deficiency (Ex): Maganimals have a hard time using armor and weapons that humanoids have no trouble with. Armor for a maganimal follows the rules for barding. Maganimals do not automatically gain proficiency with weapons from any class, and take an additional -4 penalty to attack rolls when using them because they lack opposable thumbs. Maganimals with no normal limbs, such as snakes, instead take a -8 penalty. The same penalty also applies to Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand checks. Maganimals with hands or hand-like forelimbs (rats, raccoons, monkeys, etc), as well as maganimals using magically-supplied hands (Gloves of Man, Arms of the Naga, etc) do not suffer this penalty to either attack rolls or skill checks.

Abilities: Racial intelligence norm changes to 10 (ability modifier +0), otherwise, as base creature.
Skills: Maganimals have a +4 racial bonus on Sense Motive checks, as they retain some of the empathic qualities of their familiar ancestors.  Otherwise, as base creature.
Feats: Maganimals gain Surrogate Spellcasting as a bonus feat.
Automatic Languages: Common.  Bonus Languages: None.  A maganimal can also speak with familiars as if they shared a common language.
Favored Class: Wizard.
Level Adjustment: +0
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: What could you do with this template?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »
Well, you could pick something small with flight like a bird and take up a casting class, no LA to speak of, high size bonus to AC and early flight!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »
I was thinking about trying to make a Tiny viper cleric with Ability Focus (poison), Deadly Poison, Virulent Poison, and Spit Poison, picking up Venomfire, and then either adding Energy Admixture to get more bang for my buck (need to check whether that works for that spell), or going into Swiftblade to help with getting out of melee alive (and getting more attacks if I have to be there).

EDIT: I heard a player in his other group made a relatively fearsome maganimal dog monk.  Well, not that fearsome, but a monk that doesn't suck, let's put it that way.  I wasn't aware dogs could be familiars but that may have been a house ruling at work.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:31:52 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »
Hmm.  I think I'd prefer a non-maganimal Hairy Spider to a maganimal one.  That [mindless] is just sooo tasty.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.