Author Topic: Looking for a few hands...  (Read 2722 times)

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
Looking for a few hands...
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »
What playable races have 4 or more arms?  I only know of the Thri-Kreen, are there any that have a more humanoid look to them? Forgotten Realms preferred, please mention source if available.  Alternately, what persistent ways are there to gain extra limbs?  I'm being all tempted to play a bard who fights while playing the mandolin, and occasionally goes all General Grievous on someone.   :smirk

Thanks!

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Looking for a few hands...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:51 AM »
The monster manual has both sahuagin (HD 2, LA +3) and xill (HD 5, LA +4).  Savage species has the insectile creature template (HD 0, LA +2) which provides 6 arms but specifies that you do not gain extra attacks.  Of course, adding 3.5 times strength to damage with a 6-handed greatsword isn't bad either. 

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
Draegloth are pretty much the iconic FR four-armer. Monsters of Faerun, and Drow of the Underdark should both have their stats.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Redeemer of Ogar

• My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
Draegloth are pretty much the iconic FR four-armer. Monsters of Faerun, and Drow of the Underdark should both have their stats.

Hmm... at 6HD and LA+4 (plus another 2 for Sanctified), that's a bit high for my four-armed bard. Thanks tho!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »
For +2 to +3 LA, the obah-blessed template from Dragon grants you one or two extra sets of arms and some other benefits.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
Some way of getting 24 hr Girallon's Blessing would do the trick.  Clr3 spell.  Maybe it's a curse, the other two hands have to be holding a musical instrument at all times or something?
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Nycaloths from MMIII have 4 arms.  But at like 14 HD, +5 LA they probably won't work for you.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Redeemer of Ogar

• My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:08:15 PM »
For +2 to +3 LA, the obah-blessed template from Dragon grants you one or two extra sets of arms and some other benefits.

Now that sounds promising, I'll look more into that when I get home. Do you by chance have the Dragon Mag#?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »

Now that sounds promising, I'll look more into that when I get home. Do you by chance have the Dragon Mag#?
No, but Google does.
(okay, it was Dungeon)
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Redeemer of Ogar

• My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
Magically Hilarious, Prime.  How I've lived so long without LMGTFY I have no idea.   :lmao  And yes, I totally deserved it.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
Alright, I'll give you a hand here.  Grallion's Blessing can be made permanent (thank you Savage Species) so if you can have that done for you you could do this with a human or some other LA 0 race. 

JaronK

Gunhaven

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something clever.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
There are Chitines from Underdark, +2 LA, 2HD that have 4 arms.  +2 Dex, Con, Int, -4 Cha.  Multiweapon for free.
My first handbook: Leadership and Army Making  Always a work in process.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
dvati have four hands.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »
Well, it's 3.0, but theres also the Fang of Lolth.
Dunno if theres a 3.5 conversion for it.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
There's also a spider cloak type thing in one of the drow or underdark books that gives you extra hands. Maybe it was a corset? Something like that.

There's also a low level spell in one of the FR books that grants extra arms, though it was one of the 3.0 ones, iirc, as well as one in the BoVD, I believe.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
Savage Species page 121-122, Insectile Creature template gives +4 arms. Needs Multi-whatever Fighting feats though.

Not a bad template either, +4 Dex, +2 Wis, you get to be an aberration, +4 spot and are never flanked, climb speed = land speed, tremorsense, darkvision, +2 natural armor.

I've played one of these for +0 LA, making a Warforged an Incarnated Construct (the template immediately before this insectile), and then adding insectile.

Archao

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »
Savage Species page 121-122, Insectile Creature template gives +4 arms. Needs Multi-whatever Fighting feats though.

Not a bad template either, +4 Dex, +2 Wis, you get to be an aberration, +4 spot and are never flanked, climb speed = land speed, tremorsense, darkvision, +2 natural armor.

I've played one of these for +0 LA, making a Warforged an Incarnated Construct (the template immediately before this insectile), and then adding insectile.
As stated by Maat_Mons and Savage Species, Insectile Creatures do not gain extra attacks from their arms, and so cannot benefit from Multiweapon Fighting.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »

Then add multiheaded and take the Otherworldly feat to turn its extra HD into Outsider HD.
My work