Author Topic: Mitheral Full Plate: Creation time 4 years  (Read 5628 times)

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rape is never funny...unless your raping a clown.
    • Email
Mitheral Full Plate: Creation time 4 years
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
I've been playing as an Artificer and began building a set of mitheral full plate...and it seems like its going to take a VERY long time.
Craft DC (20) x Average craft check (25) = 500 silver pieces worth of work each week.  So 50/10,500 complete.
Assuming this rate continues; my Artificer with a +15 craft armor check will need 210 weeks to complete his mitheral full plate.

...so am i calculating this right? And if so, has anyone tried any alternate craft rules? (specifically for special materials or otherwise)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Mitheral Full Plate: Creation time 4 years
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
whats your build, your books, and can you make any changes?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
Can't you increase the craft DC to work faster?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
Build a Fabricate device first and end all mundane crafting issues?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
we do have a crafting handbook dont we?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
Only level 8; not really much to change.  DM only allows taking the artisan feats from the eberron setting twice each.  I took the 25% off gold and exp feats twice and the 25% off build time once.

The fabricate machine is totally doable... but takes away from the role-playing aspect.  I'd like to wear armor 'built with my own hands'

I have increased the DC up to 25; but thats still only 25x25 resulting in 62.5 gold per week.  I just find it frustrating that I've built the entire 'Array of the Manticore' valued at 42,000 in about 30 days but 10,500 mitheral plate will take years.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »
Only level 8; not really much to change.  DM only allows taking the artisan feats from the eberron setting twice each.  I took the 25% off gold and exp feats twice and the 25% off build time once.

The fabricate machine is totally doable... but takes away from the role-playing aspect.  I'd like to wear armor 'built with my own hands'

I have increased the DC up to 25; but thats still only 25x25 resulting in 62.5 gold per week.  I just find it frustrating that I've built the entire 'Array of the Manticore' valued at 42,000 in about 30 days but 10,500 mitheral plate will take years.

Those feats should only be taken once each, the note at the bottom is a typo.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »
Errata said that?

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »

Thats a really interesting story; I hope there's a sequal that answers my question.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
Errata said that?
Yes.

See if you can craft yourself a minor schema of Magecraft (or else buy it, it's only 400 gp). That spell gives you +5 to Craft checks. With that, you can safely increase the DC by 10, as per the Craft skill description, allowing you to work significantly faster while still taking ten and succeeding. For further increases to your Craft check, see if you can get the rest of the party to Aid Another on your Craft checks for another +2 each.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:55:42 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
First thing I built as an Artificer was a "Hammer of MageCraft"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
First thing I built as an Artificer was a "Hammer of MageCraft"
So that's already included? Yeah, then get everyone you know who will do you favors for free to Aid Another. See if you can buy (or craft) an item that gives you a big competence bonus on Craft checks. Magecraft also provides a Competence bonus, but at Artificer 8 you get 4th level infusions, so you can use Item Alteration on the item to make it a Luck bonus or whatever instead. After you don't need it anymore, you can either keep it around in case you need to make a big Crafting order again, sell it (for profit if you crafted it yourself), or destroy it and get the XP back with Retain Essence.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »
Masterwork tools for another small boost?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:10:22 PM »

Thats a really interesting story; I hope there's a sequal that answers my question.

:fo

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
Yeah, I was just using 25 as an example average craft check.  My artificer has a +21 when crafting most things.  My main concern is still that if i manage to get a usual roll of 40 and up the DC to 40 then I still only produce 160 gold per week; giving me an overall crafting time of just over a year.  

I've considered the idea of keeping the gold value of mitheral full plate as equal to that of normal full plate for the purpose of craft time only.  It would still cost 1/3 of 10,500 but you would only need to craft up to the value of 1,650.
Thoughts?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
Errata said that?
Yes.
Text trumps table anyway. The feats themselves don't say that they can be taken multiple times.

Otherwise you could take all the -25% crafting feats four times and be Emiya Shirou, crafting things like these as a free action and discarding them when they run out of power.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:45:39 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
Is your hammer worth at least 2,000 gp? Can you make it be worth that much?  If the answer to either question is yes, consider grabbing the Item Familiar feat at level 9 and investing ranks into it to get an even bigger bonus to Craft checks from it.

And don't be a dick to Littha for pointing out that you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: In fact, you might want to ask your DM if you can just retrain one of your bogus duplicate feats into Item Familiar right now.  It would get you started boosting your craft checks for accelerated building faster, and you'd already be moving away from having them for when the DM realizes what a stupid move that is to allow multiple copies of those feats and bans doing it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:34:58 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »
And don't be a dick to Littha for pointing out that you're doing it wrong.

Cute.
I'm sorry, I was just making light of how the post really helped me in no way at all and didn't really pertain to the conversation.

Honesty the thing that drew me to D&D in the first place was the fact that the rules and content are completely maleable at the discretion of each play group.  My group has no problem making changes to feats/classes/races/spells or simply introducing our own.  I really feel like making changes to the game is an important part of maximizing your gaming experience. 
So from the perspective of those who feel that changing the rules can improve the game... your doing it wrong.

(I also find it humerous that you missed the whole point of coming up with alternate rules for building items with special materials since I'm sure your suggestion isn't going to raise the bonus by rediculous amounts.)

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 11:02:34 PM »
Yeah, doubling your effective craft ranks and maintaining that with each level isn't very much.

Whatever.  If your DM doesn't care about the broken stuff, and you revel in changing the rules, just give him five bucks and tell him to change the craft time to two days.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Nietzscheese

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »
Yeah, doubling your effective craft ranks and maintaining that with each level isn't very much.

Whatever.  If your DM doesn't care about the broken stuff, and you revel in changing the rules, just give him five bucks and tell him to change the craft time to two days.

Very constructive. Thank you.
I guess some people just cant think outside the box.