Author Topic: Any Arkham Horror Fans?  (Read 4412 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Any Arkham Horror Fans?
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I just discovered the Strange Aeons program for making homebrew content for the game.  I simply must try this.  Is anyone willing to give feedback?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Any Arkham Horror Fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:51:36 AM »
Assuming you're talking about the board game:

It's a fun game, but it takes time. Like, lots and lots of hours, since the game will try to kill you in seven different ways and from 4 different dimensions at once.

I had heard that it would be a really hard game, that you loose more often than win, but when I picked it up it turned out to be only slightly true.

Yes, it will Monster Surge three times in a row. It will open up a gate on the location you're standing in. It _will_ push out fucking Dholes to guard the gates. And it will irrevocably kill you a whole new kind of dead, should Azatoth ever wake up.
But it's still beatable.

Anyone with enough opt-fu in stuff like D&D, Warhammer, generic ccg or otherwise will find the powerful options and will use it.
I've played 5 games, lost only once. Azatoth really don't give you much of a fight once he stops napping.

General tip for groups:
The woman who gain a dollar each turn should take a bank loan ASAP. On average it will take 20 turns for you to start loosing money from it and the cash can be very well spent at the start.

Always include the character that can give someone a re-roll. Always.

The scientist that disallows gates to be opened at her location might seem corner-case, but it does pop up enough times to be a viable character choice.

You might think that maxing Stealth and minimizing Speed is a good thing in the Otherworlds.
After all, you move 1 step regardless of movement speed.
But when you start thinking like that (I did), you're going to encounter something that will kill you unless you run.

Ancient Ones aren't super-hard to beat.
You just need the proper equipment and set-up.
And burning 13 clue tokens in a turn with a shotgun, re-rolling failed dice does help...

Oh and the single most important advice:
Beware of the rats.
Seriously.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
Yup.  Were trying out the newest expansion nows.  It's beating the guys a new one but they aren't really optimizers.  The random devouring is kinda frustrating them too.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=113&efcid=1&efidt=354310

I has critters and some upcoming PC's for review if anyone wants to take a shot

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:51:45 AM »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
I think I just imploded from excessive amounts of sheer "Cuteness"
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »
The other characters Ive done are somewhat less cute.  I think I have Ed Gein somewhere...