Author Topic: I'm planning a deific assassin  (Read 3659 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
I'm planning a deific assassin
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
As in, by level 20 he's killing demigods and divesting them of their divine rank.

The plan is as follows:
1. Use that trick where you are completely undetectable by anyone (it involves Vecna-Blooded, and I can't remember the rest.)
2. Boost SA to outlandish degrees. I'm thinking something approximating PBMC's record SA build, along with some items with spells like Hunter's Eye at CL 20th inside them. Craven and Deadly Precision are nifty too.
3. Invest in Thinaun daggers so that those pesky demigods can't be resurrected and/or reform from that SDA. I want them dead, damn it!
4. Invest in an item of Ice Assassin. You know the drill from there.
5. Once I have a Divine Rank, I'll go ahead and grab Divine Sneak Attack and the SDA that makes you always win Initiative. So I can SA those demigod bastards more efficiently.

Some drawbacks I must consider:
1. Some deities have Battlesense, and so cannot be flanked. I will not deal with these, instead waiting until my Divine Rank is higher than their's, so I can either use Hand of Death, Life and Death, or Mass Life and Death on them. Either that or just SA them.
2. Deities have a lot of health. I will remedy this by playing as a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold (If and only if this doesn't interfere with Vecna-Blooded), acquiring a familiar, and performing the old Embrace/Shun those temporary Alertness into that epic feat that boosts SA damage trick. NI SA dice should kill just about anything.
3. Higher ranked deities will not be happy about this. I don't know about how to avoid this, other than dumping 5d6 SA dice for 5 levels of Exemplar, and then using my outrageously buffed Hide Check to make deities not want to kill me. That sounds pretty nice to me.

Other than the cosmic imbalance caused by mass deific murder, can you spot any other problems? Basically, when I'm done harvesting demigods, I should have a high enough Divine Rank to destroy any gods that go against me.

<Sarcasm>This will show them. Imagine, they actually were calling me OP and a powergamer.<Sarcasm>

Note: This is all a theoretical exercise until I find a DM stupid/forgiving enough to allow me to play this kind of character. I hope I never get to.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Re: I'm planning a deific assassin
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »
Does anyone have a list of deities of rank 5 or lower that I could target? Theoretically, of course

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:40:17 AM »
Does anyone have a list of deities of rank 5 or lower that I could target? Theoretically, of course
Imhotep from Deities and Demigods. He's a level 20 Expert with a single divine rank, less than 300 hitpoints too. My favourite target.

Edit: Found an excerpt of him, enjoy.

Handy Links

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »
Wow, an easy kill. I mean, seriously, beyond being a divinity, he has nothing for combat. Nothing.

29d6+20 damage should do it, especially since I'm getting iteratives.

That's about 139.5 damage a hit, before factoring in the pain caused by, you know, getting 3 or so attacks.

And he only has 26 AC? With an Initiative modifier of +7? Damn this guy is weaksauce.

Quarterstaff will make nice trophy, though.

Any ideas after that? Any gods that you, ya know, have a grudge against?

A pair of notes:
I don't actually have a formal build yet, so what I can do is a bit mutable.

I might post the combats between me and the gods at some point. Might be good for a PbP...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:27 AM »
Divinity and epic level challenges (even if only epic in name) are not my areas of specialty, so that's the only idea I have to offer without browsing through a few books. Imhotep is basically a joke of a challenge for an optimized character, other deities, far as I know, tend to be far more dangerous even if they only have a couple of divine ranks.

Any particular reason you are relying on SA damage to kill the deities? There are ways to be immune to it and you might not be able to detect the immunity before it's too late. If melee is the ways you want to do it, I would suggest some kind of a Wraithstrike-abusing Power attack combo. And you want spells, you really do want spells.

But as said, I tend to leave epic and divinity to others, so I'll probably withdraw from the thread for the time being...

Handy Links

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
I find it a little far-fetched that a diety wouldn't have heavy fortification.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
If we ignore initiative for the moment, I don't think Imhotep is that trivial to destroy - he does have Prismatic sphere and Foresight.
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
Watch out for Kord, though.  He has Intuit Direction +41!
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
Imhotep isnt the issue... its the other gods coming to woop your butt when you show up. They dont want thier Librarian dieing. You know how hard it would be to find another expert 20 to come keep your card cataloge in order. :P

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »
Imhotep isnt the issue... its the other gods coming to woop your butt when you show up. They dont want thier Librarian dieing. You know how hard it would be to find another expert 20 to come keep your card cataloge in order. :P
So you should beat him in a librarian-off instead.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:59:09 AM »
Alright, I'll rethink SA. I just like SA, so that's why I was going for it, but in retrospect, I wasn't being devious enough.

I seem to remember that Psibond Agent's Psibond ability isn't mind-effecting...

Damn, to get the Psibond on him for sure, I'd need a charisma modifier of 24. A 14 would be about a 50% chance for him to worm out of it.

Once he's Psibound to me, though, I could Dominate him to give me his Divine Rank.  :smirk

Then I could murderfy him easily.

Vecna Blooded makes me immune to divinations, so deities without the right portfolio couldn't sense me.

Any ways to make me immune to Portfolio sense? The thing is, Any deity that could sense my planning would be too high up on the deity food-chain to come and hunt me down/will me dead.

So basically, if I can stop myself from being sensed, I can massacre any demigod with a low(er) will save.

Any thoughts?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

grautry

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »

Well, for all you know other gods will go - "thanks for getting rid of that abysmally embarrassing weaksauce failure of a god; we've been thinking of an excuse to get rid of him for ages - welcome to the family!".

Anyway, as far as deities go, we fall into two camps: one, is that they're so embarrassingly under-optimized that they're actually beatable challenges - like the canon statted out deities(though they still tend to have at least a few I-Win abilities, take Alter Reality). Two, gods who are actually built properly. In the second case, gods are just like you, have twenty or forty levels more and get divine ranks, in which case you're boned unless you resort to outrageous cheese(and then, they can just resort to more cheese).

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »
So?

That just means I only go after the weaklings.

Yep, the character now has a name: Charles Darwin.

Still no definite build, though.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]