Author Topic: ...there is only war  (Read 7586 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
...there is only war
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Never played the game myself, but I thought I'd try statting some WH40K stuff based on the fluff. If there are any players around here who have requests...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:15:45 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: ...there is only war
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
The following stats do not include the effects of magic items. A Space Marine's typical gear would include, at the least, a suit of +1 full plate and gauntlets of ogre power +4.

Space Marine
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Human, Space Marine)
Hit Dice: 8d8+40 (80 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40ft
Armour Class: 18 (+6 natural, +2 Dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Attack: Slam +10 melee (1d6+4) or spittle +8 ranged touch (3d8 acid plus blinding) or bite +5 melee (1d3 plus 1d3 acid) or Large masterwork heavy repeating crossbow +9 ranged (2d6)
Full attack: Large heavy repeating crossbow +9/+4 ranged (2d6)
Special Attacks: Consume, Spittle
Special Qualities: Amphibious, Damage reduction 3/-, Darkvision 60ft, Light fortification, Low-light vision, Powerful build, Resistance to fire and cold 5
Saves: Fort +11* Ref +4 Will +9 (Fort good, Ref poor, Will good)
Abilities: Str 19 Dex 15 Con 20 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 14
Skills:
Feats: DiehardB, EnduranceB, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (repeating crossbow), Iron Will, Track
Challenge Rating: 7
Advancement: By character class
Equipment: Large masterwork heavy repeating crossbow

Skills: Space Marines have a +4 racial bonus on Concentration, Listen, Spot and Survival checks

* Space Marines receive a +4 bonus on saving throws against poison.

Space Marines are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and heavy armour.

Amphibious (Ex): A Space Marine can breathe water as easily as air.

Consume (Ex): A Space Marine can consume the flesh of a fallen foe as a full-round action. Doing so allows him to gain the benefits of a speak with dead spell (caster level = HD/2) which is not based on language (thus allowing even creatures of animal intelligence to be interrogated), and prevents any form of resurrection which requires an intact corpse. Only a single marine may consume a Small creature, but two may feed from a Medium creature, four a Large creature, etc. A Space Marine cannot consume the same creature multiple times.

Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a Space Marine, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

Powerful Build (Ex):Spittle (Ex): Once per 2d4 rounds, a Space Marine may spit a glob of acid as a ranged touch attack against a target within 30ft, dealing 1d8 damage per two levels. Struck creatures must make a DC 19 Fort save or be blinded for 1 minute. The save DC is Constitution-based.

New Feats
(Insert 1st-level-only feats for various chapters here)

New Weapon
Power Fist
Exotic one-handed weapon
Base damage: 1d10 bludgeoning
A power fist lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a power fist is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. You take a -1 penalty on attack rolls with a Power Fist. A power fist cannot be disarmed. You may wield a weapon in your hand wearing a power fist, but it takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls and you cannot attack with both in the same round unless you drop the weapon.

Since most Power Fists are crafted for Space Marines, they are Large weapons to accomodate their Powerful Build (dealing 2d6 damage).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:15:10 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
This is madness.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
This is madness.
I believe that's pretty much the point of 40K, so I guess I'm doing well so far.
(what did you expect? Sparta?)
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »
I've seen the like, if not in a d20 system.
Exalted WH40K.

Solars - Space Marines
Lunars - Tyranids
Sidereals - Eldar
Abyssals - Necrons
Infernals - Chaos Marines
Dragonblooded - Tau/Ork, can't recall.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
In the grimdark of the grimdark, there is only grimdark.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »
You missed a few grimdarks there.
Also, you should stat this.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
Heard of Brighthammer?
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
Or...What the Hell?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »
Ork
Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Ork, Psionic)
Hit Dice:
Initiative:
Speed:
Armour Class:
Base Attack Bonus:
Attack:
Full attack:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Fast healing 1, Low-light vision, Orkcraft, Naturally psionic, Plant traits, WAAGH!
Saves: Fort +? Ref +? Will +?
Abilities: Str ? Dex ? Con ? Int 6 Wis ? Cha ?
Skills:
Feats: Power Attack, Steadfast DeterminationB
Challenge Rating: ?-? HD (Medium), ?-? HD (Large)
Advancement:

Skills: Orks have a +4 bonus on Use Magic/Psionic Device checks made to use items crafted with the Orkcraft ability, and can make checks in untrained skills as if they were trained.

Orks are proficient in all simple, martial, and exotic weapons.

Naturally Psionic: Orks gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level.

Orkcraft (Su): An ork may apply a +10 bonus to any checks made to craft an item, but such an item relies partially on psionic energies to function and thus can only be used by orks. An orkcraft item takes double damage from attacks if there are no orks within 30ft.

Plant traits: An ork has immunity to all mind-affecting effects (except those created by orks), as well as poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. An ork is not subject to critical hits.

WAAGH! (Su): An ork gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls for every other ork within 30ft (max +5). If he is capable of manifesting psionic powers, he also gains a +1 bonus to manifester level while there are at least five orks within 30ft.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:56:36 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
So what do you think of the Space Marine stats so far? I'm guessing he could use a few extra HD to fit his challenge rating? Bumped HD up to 8.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:13:51 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
Depending on wether you want to represent the fluff accurately or the miniatures accurately they may need a serious boost to some of their stats.

Also space marines are like 9-12 ft tall so they may be large or at least have powerful build, this makes sence because the weapons they use are noted several times as being too big for normal humans to use.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
They do have Powerful Build. I've seen discussions on this, and at times Space Marines are depicted passing through tunnels sized for normal soldiers. Certain types of marine would be Large though.

Equipment plays a big part in the marines' power (including boosting their ability scores). I wasn't sure whether to include it or not (since that would boost their CR) - currently they only have full plate and a crossbow.

CR 7 makes them equal to 10 normal men in a fight, assuming a "normal man" is a 1st-level warrior (there's one D&D book which says that large portions of armies are composed of 1st-level commoners). What kinds of boosts did you have in mind?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:11:42 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
I have read stories (Official ones) where a single space marine kills several hundred opponents.

Might not be typical but if you use a comparative stat base from Dark heresy:
Dark heresy humans have 30 STR average
Dark heresy marines have 110 STR average

which would lead to a marine having a STR of 35 or so in D&D. Obviously needs to be scaled down a bit from there but still going to be higher than 19

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
Why no use of Clockwork Armor?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
I have read stories (Official ones) where a single space marine kills several hundred opponents.
Were those just random marines or would you say they had class levels on top of the base stats? I've heard in one of the videogames a Tau grunt kills several gods in a setting where that's not even supposed to be possible.

Might not be typical but if you use a comparative stat base from Dark heresy:
Dark heresy humans have 30 STR average
Dark heresy marines have 110 STR average

which would lead to a marine having a STR of 35 or so in D&D. Obviously needs to be scaled down a bit from there but still going to be higher than 19
+5 Str equals a doubling. If that system follows a linear scale then Marines have 3.66 times the Str of humans in that system, which would mean +8 Str. I currently have +4 but I'm not including the effects of their powered armour, which those stats presumably do (it would be +8 but I'm using the elite array since only people who have high stats already can become Space Marines).

As a side-note, dragonborn water orcs are quite similar to SMs in both crunch and fluff (as long as you don't choose wings).

Why no use of Clockwork Armor?
First because I didn't want to include equipment. Second because Space Marines' armour does slow them down (which is why Scout Armour exists).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:28:53 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
Those were just random marines, though how much a standard marines training counts as class levels or racial is up to you.

Why is +5 a doubling? Surely +10 is doubled (assuming a STR 10 human).

Marines armour actually makes them faster, scout armour exists because power armour is rare and hard to make.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:57 PM »
Check the carrying capacity tables. Doubling 10 doesn't mean much, since you use "+0" more than "10".

Marines armour actually makes them faster, scout armour exists because power armour is rare and hard to make.
There are multiple contradictory sources. It's not even consistent whether or not they can take off their armour. (if that was the case, I was considering making them warforged-like)

Some sources say they fuse with their Power Armour and scouts are "juveniles" who haven't reached the stage where they can do that yet. Others say that Space Marines will take off their Power Armour and wear Scout Armour if they need speed or are away from the frontlines.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:34:26 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 01:32:16 PM »
First because I didn't want to include equipment. Second because Space Marines' armour does slow them down (which is why Scout Armour exists).
Regular power armor enhances speed. Terminator armor decreases speed.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
Check the carrying capacity tables. Doubling 10 doesn't mean much, since you use "+0" more than "10".

There are multiple contradictory sources. It's not even consistent whether or not they can take off their armour. (if that was the case, I was considering making them warforged-like)

+8 might work in that case but you would want to build your marine using elite array stats
at the minute assuming you have 11 11 11 10 10 10 as your stats you have...
Str +8 Dex +4 Con +10 Wis +2 Cha +4

Marines can remove their armour, chaos marines cant.