Author Topic: Anyone interested in some Pirates? [3.5]  (Read 33467 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Anyone interested in some Pirates? [3.5]
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »
No, I don't. Over the course of the Rainbow Servant, I get access to domains and their spells, added to my spell list. And no, they're added to my spell list, and I cast them the same as all my other spells, but if they're not on my spell list as Warmage spells, I cast them as divine, not arcane. So yay! And domain benefits. So YAY!
Just some friendly advice to keep in mind: PbPs tend to be (really) slow, so it'll take a while before you get those benefits.

That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to frontload my character, I don't want to wait a year to get my main schtick available :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
No, I don't. Over the course of the Rainbow Servant, I get access to domains and their spells, added to my spell list. And no, they're added to my spell list, and I cast them the same as all my other spells, but if they're not on my spell list as Warmage spells, I cast them as divine, not arcane. So yay! And domain benefits. So YAY!

I know you get domains, thing is those domains are not going to add all that much to your casting (Good gets you Magic circle and a couple of pants spells, Law Likewise (though Dictum is nice) and Air gets you some low level battlefield control).

I know Warmage/Rainbow Servant is appealing for the spontaneous casting but this campaign doesn't need that sort of optimised caster. Having any spell you want off the cleric list the moment you need it will take all the challenge out of lots of the encounters and i imagine the original idea to put the two together was more theoretical rather than practical optimisation.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »
Plus, we start at level 1, and this a PbP game. Sure, when you get to 16th level you're awesome, but that's 5 years from now.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Plus, we start at level 1, and this a PbP game. Sure, when you get to 16th level you're awesome, but that's 5 years from now.
Optimist.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
Optimist.
:lol

Stop bitching, you guys are almost level 6 in my campaign :P just need to get of my lazy butt and calculate xp
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »
Optimist.

Stop bitching, you guys are almost level 6 in my campaign :P just need to get of my lazy butt and calculate xp

Please do. We will be very happy  :D

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
Optimist.

Please do. We will be very happy  :D
I'll do so in about 9-10 hours (tomorrow morning) ;)
I'm guessing/eyeballing it's one encounter away

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
Optimist.
I've played a 5 year long PbP once.

I leveled twice in that whole time.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
Optimist.
I've played a 5 year long PbP once.

I leveled twice in that whole time.
Wow, just wow...

One of the big things I've done to try and avert that is remove 'random'/non-plot-central encounters and just eyeballing some extra XP to keep the PCs at the level they should be at whatever point in the adventure they are.

Krika

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
Well, I might change my mind later. Who knows. It's not set in stone.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Homebrew Chameleon:
 if you wanted masks you could always take master of masks (suboptimal but flavourful) as Bowen said
I'll never qualify for master of masks. Also, The homebrew things masks aren't real masks you wear

Homebrew Chameleon:
I would rather not use that class
What's wrong with the Homebrew?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
Substitute Powers ACF allowed before I start messing with the mantles?

Also, would you allow a psi version of arcane strike?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

endgamecutter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:12 AM »
I guess I'm gonna roll with either a shaper going into constructor (minions are fun, and using them as fodder can cater to what I know best: beatsticking) or a kineticist (blasting is easier to to wrap my head around, plus I feel like me as myself is actually contributing, also I'm only in shaper for astral construct). Is there anything specific to read about for psiforged? Or are they just special-sounding warforged?
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2010, 04:11:09 AM »
I guess I'm gonna roll with either a shaper going into constructor (minions are fun, and using them as fodder can cater to what I know best: beatsticking) or a kineticist (blasting is easier to to wrap my head around, plus I feel like me as myself is actually contributing, also I'm only in shaper for astral construct). Is there anything specific to read about for psiforged? Or are they just special-sounding warforged?
Aside from the fluff, there's a feat you can take with Warforged (forgot the name, same book as the Psiforged though) that lets you store unused PP IIRC.

Personally I'm still not entirely sure. I'm starting to think a blaster (Kineticist) (assuming endgamecutter goes Shaper and not Kineticist as well) or a Duskblade could be fun as well...

I'll try to get a working gunman first though :)

endgamecutter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2010, 04:20:19 AM »
to be honest I'm leaning more towards the kineticist. While I feel it would be rather underwhelming (especially early on, which is gonna be a long while) I REALLY hate the feeling of being a summoner, just because I tend to be just a random guy who happens to be around some powerful brute of some kind. Who knows, maybe I'll roll a duskblade (what? I don't get many chances to play D&D, so I have a bunch of classes I wanna try) or something instead, since nobody seems to want to take to the front lines
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2010, 08:17:47 AM »
I have a suggestion for the caster:
http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dragonmarked_Sorcerer

Could possibly be adapted for warmage.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2010, 10:03:17 AM »
Littha, would you be okay with allowing Iron Kingdoms materials?
Risada just pointed out the Gun Mage class to me and it's pretty cool and close to what I want to do.

In case you don't have it and want to give it a look, you can find it at 4shared.com by searching for 'Iron Kingdoms gun mage'.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »
Homebrew Chameleon:
 if you wanted masks you could always take master of masks (suboptimal but flavourful) as Bowen said
I'll never qualify for master of masks. Also, The homebrew things masks aren't real masks you wear

Homebrew Chameleon:
I would rather not use that class
What's wrong with the Homebrew?
Master of masks isn't too bad to qualify for.... 3 skills at 8 and 4 languages is a bit skill point intense but its not impossible. Assuming starting at 14 Int that's 26 skillpoints, preform (act) would be a pain but assuming you were in a class with 2 points a level you have 32 by level 5.

I don't like the homebrew class because it doesn't do anything unique, it seems just to steal factotum and chameleon abilities.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
Here's a list of everyone who has posted a :love smiley to date, in no particular order:
Skydragonknight
Shadowhunter
endgamecutter
jojolagger
Garryl
Krika
BowenSilverclaw
Risada
Sohala
(Note: I did a search, I didn't actually go through the thread and count the smileys, so if I left someone out, that's why.)

That's enough for one five-man and one four-man party, so I might bow out even though I just learned I haven't been accepted. You see, there's this interest check for a MnM game, and I'm only in one of those right now... :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Littha, would you be okay with allowing Iron Kingdoms materials?
Risada just pointed out the Gun Mage class to me and it's pretty cool and close to what I want to do.

In case you don't have it and want to give it a look, you can find it at 4shared.com by searching for 'Iron Kingdoms gun mage'.

If you like, I am familiar with them (have one in another game).

Plus they look awesome:
[spoiler][/spoiler]