Author Topic: Anyone interested in some Pirates? [3.5]  (Read 33330 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Anyone interested in some Pirates? [3.5]
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
How much cash do we get? You said WBL, but the DMG lacks WBL for level 1.

The PHB has WBL for level 1.   :P
I'd still need to know if we roll, average, or max for it.

also
# 14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
# 16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Start at 150gp

Background of about 2 paragraphs, each character should have a notable event that might mark you as an adventurer in your past.

3.0 and 3.5 WotC books only.

Think I might take you up on this, what can you offer me in a jade phoenix mage & abjurant champion direction?
Strait swap arcane > psionic
Abjurant Champion:
[spoiler]
Combat Casting > Combat Manifestation
1st level spell > 1st level powers.
Abjuration > Psycokinisis

Abjurant Armour, Extend Abjuration, Swift Abjuration:
Spell > power

Arcane Boost
Swap spell slots for PP equal to a power of that level. Treat as manifesting a power for limits to PP spent.
1PP=I. / 3PP=II. / 5PP=III

Martial Arcarnist:
Caster level > manifester level
[/spoiler]

Jade pheonix mage:
[spoiler]Knowledge (Arcana) > Knowledge (Psionics)
Ability to cast 2nd level spells > Ability to manifest 2nd level powers.

Arcane Wrath > Mental Wrath:
Swap spell slots for PP equal to a power of that level. Treat as manifesting a power for limits to PP spent.

Mystic Pheonix stance:
Slots to PP as above. Bonus to manifester level rather than caster level.
1PP=I. / 3PP=II. / 5PP=III...

Empowering Strike:
Swap Spell to Power in text.

Firebird Stance:
Same as Mystic Pheonix stance changes

Quickening Strike
works on powers of 5th level or lower. [/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
If it's not to late:
 :love

Generalist Wizard. Figured since I've never played one before, I can't mess things up too much. Realized that the first build I had in mind wouldn't get interesting gaming-wise for a while.

Assuming 32pts buy, average wealth for a wizard (75) gp.

[spoiler]Arathiel Amastacia
Neutral Good Grey Elf Wizard 1

Strenght:8
Dexterity:16
Constitution:12
Intelligence:20
Wisdom:10
Charisma:8

HP:5
Initative: +3
Armor Class: 13, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-1
Saves: 1/3/2

Skills:
Concentration 5
Knowledge (Arcana) 11
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 9
Knowledge (Religion) 9
Knowledge (The Planes) 9
Search 11
Spellcraft 9
Spot 2

Feats:
1: Collegiate Wizard, Scribble Scroll

Spells Per Day:
0:3
1:4

Spellbook:
0: All
1:
Benign Transposition
Grease
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Charm Person
Power Word: Pain
Sleep
Color Spray
Silent Image
Ray of Enfeeblement
Enlarge Person
Magic weapon

Equipment & Money:
[spoiler]
Light crossbow
10 bolts
dagger
3 days of trail rations
Flint&Steel
Backpack
Spell component pouch
10 pieces of chalk
Bedroll
50 ft silk rope
1lb soap
Traveler's Outfit
15 gp
8 sp
9 cp[/spoiler]
Carried: 25lb
Light load: 26

ACF's:
Elven Generalist Wizard

Fluff:
[spoiler]
Arathiel Amastacia was trained at Arcanix in Aundair for participating in the Great War. The war ended before his training were done, so the world he expected to meet after graduation was not the one he was prepared for.
Having been taught that as a wizard, you're supposed to have all the solutions, he now travels the lands trying to find a place were his talents can be put to good use.

Having helped a band of adventures in need for a spellslinger to clear out some freebooters in the northen part of Q'barra, Arathiel now finds himself without a job, some nasty bruising and a few pieces of gold in his pocket, but with a sense of purpose. Currently unemployed, he's now on the lookout for any possibility that may come his way, eventhough Q'barras less than friendly attitude towards him makes the chances of a lucky break slim.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:48:58 AM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »
Abjurant Champion:
[spoiler]

Spell > power

Arcane Boost

Martial Arcarnist:
[/spoiler]

Jade pheonix mage:

Mystic Pheonix stance:

Empowering Strike:

Firebird Stance:

Quickening Strike
Hmm...psionic as the main casting it is.

I am really liking the poison dusk lizardfolk after reading their location in eberron, right next to the island chain. Given their hatred of warm-blooded does make for a small hick-up, but easily enough explained by being raised on said ship.

Littha, any chance of dropping some racials from the poison dusk lizardfolk to allow him played at first?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
I am really liking the poison dusk lizardfolk after reading their location in eberron, right next to the island chain. Given their hatred of warm-blooded does make for a small hick-up, but easily enough explained by being raised on said ship.

Littha, any chance of dropping some racials from the poison dusk lizardfolk to allow him played at first?
You could use the playing LA at first level rules. Basically you start with a negative level that doesn't kill you, but you can't get rid of. At second level you don't level up and the negative level goes a way. Remember a negative level has -1 on all rolls and you lose one spell slot of the highest level you can use. That is also equal to losing PP=ML.
Works as a decent way for Playing LA at first level.
Also warforged aren't warm-blooded.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

endgamecutter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2010, 01:08:47 AM »
two paragraphs of background? I was just bloody BORN! Am I supposed to describe how the mad scientist lovingly shoved chunks of mithral up my ass? /end fakerant

Also, how long ago should I assume its been since the pirates "claimed" me? Should I have already been active, or should they have somehow activated me (and no, I don't know the specifics of warforged creation)? I guess the background could be I'm some prototype for a new generation of warforged (it WOULD explain the possible psionics) but that seems to me that a new generation of warforged would be a major point in Eberron's history, which probably isn't a good thing since that in itself could constitute a campaign (or at least a sidequest) and that we're level 1.
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2010, 01:10:17 AM »
Abjurant Champion:
[spoiler]

Spell > power

Arcane Boost

Martial Arcarnist:
[/spoiler]

Jade pheonix mage:

Mystic Pheonix stance:

Empowering Strike:

Firebird Stance:

Quickening Strike
Hmm...psionic as the main casting it is.

Only thing worth a +1 in their traits is the positive stat mods, drop either the Dex or Con bonus and take them at +0

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2010, 01:16:07 AM »
two paragraphs of background? I was just bloody BORN! Am I supposed to describe how the mad scientist lovingly shoved chunks of mithral up my ass? /end fakerant

Also, how long ago should I assume its been since the pirates "claimed" me? Should I have already been active, or should they have somehow activated me (and no, I don't know the specifics of warforged creation)? I guess the background could be I'm some prototype for a new generation of warforged (it WOULD explain the possible psionics) but that seems to me that a new generation of warforged would be a major point in Eberron's history, which probably isn't a good thing since that in itself could constitute a campaign (or at least a sidequest) and that we're level 1.

There are already psionic warforged, they are called psiforged. You will have to figure out a backstory because characters with no background at all are not interesting and have no motivations.

Example Backstories (from other games i play in)[spoiler]
Battle Dragon
[spoiler]Augheraeth is a tiny little dragon, however her short life hasn't been so pleasant so far. Her mother Verenth was summoned to toril with a gate by what she thought was a group of warriors asking for her help in battle, however her summoners were actually the cult of the dragon under orders of her long time enemy Ineunth a black dragon. Her mother was killed by the rampant black dragon and Augheraeth only survived due to her size and ability to fly away faster than the great wyrm could chase her.

Unable to do even the most rudimentary magic as with all battle dragons, Augheraeth is stuck on toril though she seeks fights to strengthen herself enough to challenge her mothers killer in the years to come.
[/spoiler]

Succubus Artificer
[spoiler]Seline entered this world through a failed summoning several hundred years ago
She has since wandered the continent looking for difficult people to seduce as
to test her skills. Unfortunatly one such mark was a grey guard and she only
Just managed to escape with her life, losing much of her power along the way.

Since then she has tried to make up for her lost powers with magical items and
eventually she aims to build an army that loves her completely and devoutly and
thus bring the deaths of all servents of good who dare to turn down her advances.

The form she wares is that of a minor princess who fell to her advances and was
destroyed by her kiss, Seline fled the kingdom in this guise so as to hide the
murder and since she has come to like this form.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Oh also note i am willing to write monster classes if anyone wants to play something exotic.

endgamecutter

• Email
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2010, 01:38:23 AM »
don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the need and usefulness of a good backstory. It's just not the easiest thing in the world to write a believable backstory about a robot pirate who's fresh off the production line...Especially after saying it out loud.

I could crap out and change my character concept to something with more experience in the world, but that feels like I'm just being lazy. Someone who actually knows not to address the mayor of a town with "Salutations, meatsack!" would probably run a lot smoother though. Argh, I hate it when my brain gets into a loop like this.

Are warforged aware the second they're finished, or would it be impossible for him to be captured on a delivery or something to that effect? If he is, then I'm not too sure he can really work, since I doubt a level 1 pirate crew could successfully raid either of the remaining forges.
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »
Are warforged aware the second they're finished, or would it be impossible for him to be captured on a delivery or something to that effect? If he is, then I'm not too sure he can really work, since I doubt a level 1 pirate crew could successfully raid either of the remaining forges.
It is technically possible to wipe at least part of a warforged memory, otherwise merrix would be caught by now. If it was activated on delivery, they would probably need to send a cannith artificer to activate him.

Sending a new not-broken warforged could possibly be merrix replacing a warforged he made an error on (me!). If we both end up in this, you could be sent as my replacement.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

endgamecutter

• Email
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »
That means that either the pirates purchased (gasp!) you, your multiple personalities were seen as a flaw, resulting in me being sent and then you screwing up my memory, thereby making me trying to figure everything out, or the same scenario, but we manage to steal the same requisitions from the same people (thats a big coincidence...) and you still mess up my head...I think?

There IS the issue of us being different classes though (I don't think we need two factotums, plus I've never really liked the skill monkey role), seeing as if I was your replacement then I'd probably have the same capabilities as you. I suppose that could be lampshaded by saying you were also supposed to be whatever I am.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2010, 02:22:13 AM »
That means that either the pirates purchased (gasp!) you, your multiple personalities were seen as a flaw, resulting in me being sent and then you screwing up my memory, thereby making me trying to figure everything out, or the same scenario, but we manage to steal the same requisitions from the same people (thats a big coincidence...) and you still mess up my head...I think?

There IS the issue of us being different classes though (I don't think we need two factotums, plus I've never really liked the skill monkey role), seeing as if I was your replacement then I'd probably have the same capabilities as you. I suppose that could be lampshaded by saying you were also supposed to be whatever I am.
I Have know Idea what your talking about in the bolded part.
However at really high levels I can be what you are, kinda, for a few minutes... but still!

Also:
You: I'm the new one he's the original.
A: Ha! See I'm the original.
B: No, I'm the Original.
C: It's clearly me.
D: He was talking about us being the original warforged purchased.
ABC: Oh.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Jojo please remember this inst comedy like Bhu's campaign, if you are going to do multiple personalities do it seriously.

endgamecutter

• Email
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
Well, the main part of my character's motivation was that he basicly had no idea about what the world was like, how people acted etc. so he mainly stuck to the pirate crew to learn more about the world, since pirates tend to travel a lot. But since warforged probably already know all that from creation, I assumed you tinkered with my head and erased most (or all) of that knowledge.

The same scenario part was me suggesting the alternative background that we were both ordered by someone other than the pirates, but the pirates stole us both, since I doubt pirates would actually purchase a pair of warforged when they could steal them...pirates!

@ Littha: but everyone needs the comic relief character! Even Kotor had HK-47! :p

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
You really need to come up with a background other than just woke up, roleplaying where you need every little thing explained to you is going to be tedious.

Also, comedy characters are fine some times but have a tendency to start a downward spiral in D&D that leads to everything getting off track.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2010, 02:47:42 AM »
You really need to come up with a background other than just woke up, roleplaying where you need every little thing explained to you is going to be tedious.
We could say he woke up 2-8 weeks ago, and understands most basic stuff.
When are sheets due? I'm in a bit of a time crunch right now, but I'm pretty sure I can make all my deadlines.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:38 AM »
Soonishtm probably by the end of the week. Then we have to decide who of the 8 or 9 people we have looking to join gets a spot...

endgamecutter

• Email
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2010, 03:19:37 AM »
hm, I think I have a much easier to implement idea for this. The basic idea of him not knowing much about the world still exists, but now it gives him more personality and background material (I'm using Toan as a working name for this quick basebones background, if its good I'll apply details such as location to make it better) spoilers cause I feel like it
[spoiler]Toan was purchased by a wizard who needed someone to serve him and organize the library. The Wizard was a cruel taskmaster, but would allow Toan to read over books when there was nothing that needed doing. Toan gained a nearly unquenchable thirst for knowledge while reading over the books, seeing as he had nothing else to do. His hunt for knowledge mainly revolved around the planes and arcana, completely neglecting the world around him.

As time passed, Toan quickly became tired of his master's harsh work regime, and yearned to go out and explore everything he had read in the books. One day, a vessel (the PC's) docked, and Toan volunteered to work on that ship to get a chance to give his the worlds in his imagination a real form. He quickly realized how difficult this would be, and noticed that he barely knew anything about the world beyond his small library, and resolved to learn the secrets of his world as he had learned the secrets of the ones in the books.[/spoiler]
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:26:23 AM by endgamecutter »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
Soonishtm probably by the end of the week. Then we have to decide who of the 8 or 9 people we have looking to join gets a spot...
Level 1 char in a few days? I'll make it. Would you rather multiple personalities were a result of creation error, used trap the soul gems incorporated into me, or both (they were incorporated by accident).
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2010, 04:29:40 AM »
All I need now is an answer to the question: "Can I (easily/without a full alchemist lab) make my own gun powder?"

I know it's technically Craft (Alchemy), but being able to do so kind of makes or breaks my character and character concept. Seeing as Gun Powder is kind of like my ammo (aside from the actual bullets ofcourse) and it's possibly still quite new and not readily available in its finished form everywhere, especially in the middle of the jungle or some such, it would be very useful to be able to craft it. It'll probably still cost me quite a lot of money, but at least it's doable this way.

It's supposedly not that hard in RL...

Sorry if this comes around as nagging, but if this doesn't work I'll probably have to come up with a different character concept :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2010, 04:32:58 AM »
You shouldn't have to, the ship has cannons and gunpowder aboard. You can buy it from the ship at crafting cost.