Author Topic: Azrael  (Read 39645 times)

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Azrael
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2010, 12:46:03 AM »
Also, please explain how he can fuse over 2,000 people when fusion says:

"You cannot use fission on a fused being."

Unless there is some way to get around that piece of text then the build simply doesn't work.
Master Transmographist Guide (In Progress): http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9277.20

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »
Can't use fission, not fusion.

That said, I think multifusion could easily fall under "same effect in different strengths"
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2010, 01:09:42 AM »
Right-o.

Though, why bother wasting your time with Thrallherd, or even killing opponents for that matter. Any Psion could pull this crap with the time he is taking.

Indeed Azrael would be an idiot to kill anyone. Just fuse with them and become a singularity. That way no revival tricks will work.

All that said, couldn't H.I.V.E. kill him with its massively overwhelming numbers?
Master Transmographist Guide (In Progress): http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9277.20

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »
Oh good an argument, I love these.

You are right about the antimagic field, Artificer will have to come under the cover of Evil Weather. That will solve that problem.

However, lets take issue with your VERY liberal interpretation of the COP spell.

You appear to be treating COP as a form of absolute knowledge to answer any question perfectly. That is CLEARLY not what COP does. Contact Other Plane puts you in touch with a powerful supernatural being who answers your questions with one word answers to the best of his ability. This means that, too find out everything you'd have to question every single possible threat. You'd have to ask multiple times at that, and even then they still might not say "yes" or "no". Questions they cannot answer (yes, that is right, it says in the spell that there are questions that cannot be answered) are given uncertain responses.

Now to make this matter worse, you have also taken an interpretation that the spell doesn't answer perfectly questions about Azrael (You claim he is immune to divination, and no one can learn his name. Problem is, by your use of COP, ANY question appears to be answerable with a yes or no.) So either your divination defense is meaningless in the face of COP OR COP is not effective against creatures who are defended against divination.

Of those two, the second interpretation seems more reasonable. After all, the supernatural creature would have to use divination to answer your questions in the first place. Therefore, Azrael is one of two things:
-Completely subject to his very own trick of asking divine beings for answers to his every weakness.
or
-Unable to perfectly research every threat, every day.

You clearly don't understand how COP works or bothered to read my char. There are certain methods (Phaedrus' idea, not mine) to ensure you get a correct response. And since I have an unlimited amount of castings I can do so until I am 99.9999999999999999999999% positive all the responses were correct...

First of all I conceded quite a few posts ago that he is no longer Vecna Blooded; and not for the reasons you specified. If you are referring to the mind blank he can simply dismiss it before casting his CoP...all done safely within his own time stream and recast before anything could possibly effect him...So I get the best of both, I am able to perfectly research every threat, and I'm not subject to my own trick :D

Now, on to killing him:

1. Holding him works, assuming you have caught him away from evil weather and you have your antimagic field you can keep a hold on him quite nicely. Not a means to an end though.

2. He is a lich, polymorph effects don't work on him. If needs be he could also gain the shape-changer subtype, that'd be a way to escape such a spell.

3. Crystal shards kill him good and well, assuming he forgot to bring Evil Weather with him and you locked him in an antimagic field. He's a lich though, so he'll come back in a couple of days.

4. Polymorph again, Lich is immune (did you even bother to read?)

5. Mind affect, once again the lich is immune. This one is obvious, or perhaps you assumed he was an idiot an unprepared for your attacks?

6. His soul is not present to trap. This is why he decided to be a lich in the first place.

Supernatural Spell is a problems, yes. Could kill him repeatedly. But as he is immune to death effects, polymorphy, ability damage, actual damage, mind effects, and anything that would seal his soul...most spells won't really do anything.

I guess I missed the Lich part...oh well, I cant turn you into a flea or turtle or something...

Guess what? Flesh to Ice isn't a polymorph effect, its transmutation, Which means you're lich is still an ice penguin :D

and since I'm assuming you mean "gain the shapechanger subtype" by using shapechange...not gonna work since I'm doing it while you're in my AMF. Not that it states anywhere in the back of the MM that shapechanger subtype makes you immune to such effects.

Because Azrael just looooves penguins.

He is very reliant on the Initiate of Mystra trick. Which can be twarted through several means. How's this for a fun one!

Wizard Shapechange's into a Zodar. Giving him one free wish. He uses said wish to wish for an item in Azrael's possession. Given that Azrael would never allow such a thing to happen Wish will do the next best thing, it takes him to Azrael (this is supported as a consequence in Wish's text, read it before you rebutt). He doesn't need to know where Azrael is, or have means of penetrating dimention locks, nothing. Wish just does.

Wow, what a completely biased and ridiculous interpretation of what wish does...if you're the DM then, yeah, you can make wish work that way...does it work that way by RAW...Nope :D The spell would simply fail...they can do that you know...

Arriving Azrael the wizard immediately begins to cast timestop. Azrael responds with his own immediate response (lets say a contingency). The wizard's contingent timestop also fires. Azrael has to celerity. The wizard casts celerity. Casts timestop, uses Uncanny Forethought to cast Evil Weather, and the remaining time to put an antimagic field and shaped stone dome over Azrael. Time starts, Initiate of Mystra stops, Azrael is trapped. Wizard has his hulking hurler friend hit Azrael for 100,000 damage.

Remember. If COP allows Azrael to predict all of this, the wizard can also use COP to predict that Azrael will predict, and also when Azrael will go hunting someone. Then execute his plan the moment Azrael's burst of actions ends. If COP doesn't break divination immunity, Azrael cannot predict any of this, because the wizard cast Mind Blank.

You're move, please try to be civil. No matter how powerful Azrael might seem he is still a pathetic wart compared to Pun Pun. There is always something stronger.

As for the rest of it, ill try and make this simple.

1. Even if you were teleported to my location you would have to deal with my greater anticipate teleportation (active for about 2 whole miles around azrael at ALL TIMES). So immediately Azrael will know all about you (since he will just stop time and do another series of CoP), as well as you being delayed 3 whole rounds. He can then decide to either A: run away or B: place himself so that you will teleport directly into his AMF 3 rounds later and thus be completely and utterly helpless against him...its Ice Penguin time!

2. Since I am immune to divination and subject to the effects of a superior invisibility spell at all times you'll never know where I am, and even if you have true seeing youll have to be within 120 feet of me and in order to do that you either need to A: teleport (which means you get delayed 3 rounds and basically scream "Azrael, come and get me") or B: have to start over 10,000 ft away from me...oh but wait, I forgot to mention, I have an irresistible supernatural repulsion effect for 2 miles around me as well...so as soon as you move into that effect you will be able to move no further (I don't think even freedom of movement can save you from this one..but I could be wrong).

3. Since Azrael did CoP you he is fully aware of all your capabilities and knows the exact second you will face him, which means all he has to do is go into his temporal acceleration a second earlier and gain infinite actions. And no, you cant use your CoP to predict anything about Azrael, because as soon as you do use CoP on him you will have to contend with his prestidigitation contingency...which will alert him to someone CoPing him, which will just quicken your demise. Oh yeah...one more thing...Mind Blank doesn't work against CoP because it doesn't target you.

4. Your antimagic field would never work on me for 2 reasons

1. You cannot cast any spell (unless you beat my CL, which you already claimed you can not) within 40ft of me due to my suppression fields.

2. I have both indigo and violet veils active on myself 24/7, which blocks AMF.

5. I have actions you haven't even accounted for...first of all I have the readied standard action from eyes of the oracle to use, secondly I always have a readied standard action from my schismed mind casting synchronicity every round, thirdly I can use reacitve couterspell to counter any spell (due to my divine countermagic), fourthly, since I maxed out my magic domain affiliation I can counter another spell as a free action once per day, fifthly, my 'greater celerity' actually gives me two actions since my schismed mind should get an action as well, and finally, I have two contingencies for time stop :D...so even if it did come down to actions I still beat you.

And not so much on the Pun-Pun...we have already established on an earlier post that that only way for Pun-Pun to beat me was to use his manipulate form to give him an ability called "Kill Azrael."

2 problems with this...

1. That ability is questionably TO since its giving him an ability that doesn't exist in any book source

2. Since Azrael can effectively gain manipulate form, same as Pun-Pun (if he desired) it becomes a contest of who existed first (thus, who will create the "kill other" ability first), and since there is no way to prove such a thing (unless you're the omniscifer). Therefore, you must either concede that they have a gentleman's agreement to leave each other alone, or that the manipulate form ability cannot grant abilities that do not exist.

Right-o.

Though, why bother wasting your time with Thrallherd, or even killing opponents for that matter. Any Psion could pull this crap with the time he is taking.

Indeed Azrael would be an idiot to kill anyone. Just fuse with them and become a singularity. That way no revival tricks will work.

All that said, couldn't H.I.V.E. kill him with its massively overwhelming numbers?

Reheheeaaaaallly...please do explain how? "Any psion" cannot possibly come close to doing everything Azrael is doing...especially since most of it relies on having a continuous (not pp recharge) flow of pp, and the ability to have everything he buffs himself with be essentially permanent.

And if you read fusion, it clearly states "willing creature."

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:49:27 AM by Azrael »

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2010, 01:50:06 AM »
Sorry, maybe I missed it, but how is your CL so high?

I didn't see anything in your notes or on your sheet that would justify such a high CL.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2010, 01:51:52 AM »

I didn't see anything in your notes or on your sheet that would justify such a high CL.

Then you didn't look hard enough, I have a specific note for it...

3.   Azrael could theoretically cast additional greater consumptive fields thus giving him a CL of a googolplex; however, this would take actual time since he would have to exit his temporal acceleration to affect creatures. Therefore, he voluntarily keeps his CL at 2053.

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2010, 01:57:35 AM »
gather information using a divination spell, Mind Blank see's that there is a spell being used to gather information about the subject and stops it. It doesn't matter that you are targeting yourself, the spell is still gathering information and Mind Blank protects its subject from it. This one-ups WISH and MIRACLE. COP doesn't work.

That said, can Azrael:
A) Get around the effects of Evil Weather, which deactivates all his divine abilities.
B) Attack into the demiplane explicitly created to stop him?
C) (Unrelated to the Artificer) Avoid the focused assault of brilliantly powerful and prepared Sorcerers that H.I.V.E. Could produce?

Also, how would he get around a god of death using its divine "Kill a mortal" ability. Not that it has anything to do with the argument.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2010, 01:59:52 AM »
Why is this thread still going?  Isn't everyone satisfied yet that Azrael is just some guy that uses the same kinda crap every other Wizard 20 does, except that the crap he pulls is backed up by amusing-but-ultimately-useless 2k modifiers to saving throws, etc?

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2010, 02:05:44 AM »
Why is this thread still going?  Isn't everyone satisfied yet that Azrael is just some guy that uses the same kinda crap every other Wizard 20 does, except that the crap he pulls is backed up by amusing-but-ultimately-useless 2k modifiers to saving throws, etc?

Because people love to argue? I know I do.

It should probably be moved to the "You Break It, You Buy It" sub-forum though. As this build and the surrounding discussion are blatantly beyond playability.

Lunaramblings

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2010, 02:08:42 AM »

Then you didn't look hard enough, I have a specific note for it...

3.   Azrael could theoretically cast additional greater consumptive fields thus giving him a CL of a googolplex; however, this would take actual time since he would have to exit his temporal acceleration to affect creatures. Therefore, he voluntarily keeps his CL at 2053.

So you are using consumptive field to get it this high? Sorry, it is implied you are not using consumptive, field, but yet you are now implying you are. Also, not sure how you are getting that to be constant, since you would need to kill 2033 creatures at a time for this to work and they have to be at 0 or fewer hit points when you cast it, and they have to be within 30ft of you. Just trying to wrap my head around how you managed to pull it off to that level?

Lunaramblings

« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2010, 02:22:58 AM »

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »
gather information using a divination spell, Mind Blank see's that there is a spell being used to gather information about the subject and stops it. It doesn't matter that you are targeting yourself, the spell is still gathering information and Mind Blank protects its subject from it. This one-ups WISH and MIRACLE. COP doesn't work.

That's what I would have said about Mind Blank before, but that's not how it works in terms of CoP; this has been debated well before this thread...anyone else care to take this one, I'm tired of explaining it...Kell perhaps...

That said, can Azrael:
A) Get around the effects of Evil Weather, which deactivates all his divine abilities.
B) Attack into the demiplane explicitly created to stop him?
C) (Unrelated to the Artificer) Avoid the focused assault of brilliantly powerful and prepared Sorcerers that H.I.V.E. Could produce?

Also, how would he get around a god of death using its divine "Kill a mortal" ability. Not that it has anything to do with the argument.

A. Doesn't really need his divine abilities to accomplish most things...so he can be in the storm. Or he can simply teleport outside its radius, simple as that. Also, I would think that even the rain needs LoE to take away his divine powers, which it doesn't get to him, not to mention its suppressed within a 40ft radius around him.

B. You can specifically prepare things to "stop" me, it doesn't mean they have any effect on me. Worst case, if he cannot, then its a stalemate...you stay in your plane and I get to go wherever I damn well please because I'm not afraid of coming out of my plane...so congrats, if that's the case then you just did what Kell proved you could do like 20 posts ago...

C. I honestly don't know what they can do but the same CoP, and Anticipate Teleportation, and Repulsion, etc applies to them as well...no matter how brilliantly planned they still need to get around my defenses -which is pretty much impossible no matter how many people or actions you have- and attack me before I can get my temporal acceleration off, thus gaining infinite actions.

D. I explained this before the "Life and Death" divine salient ability states that it works "as destruction," which is a death effect...which hes immune to.

1. Not what fusion states at all, I think you need to re-read it.

2. each time fusion is used the already fused being counts as the base creature, so lets say 2 creatures fuse, one has a 20 dex one has a 20 int, and lets say the rest of the scores are 10. The new being has 10, 20, 10, 20, 10, 10. If he fuses with a second being with a Wis of 20 (everything else 10) the new being will have 10, 20, 10, 20, 20, 10. It also states pp gets pooled, etc...as for the feats, they are different at the time of fusion, then once fused Azrael changes them with Psychic Reformation, that's how he gets so many.

3. He has the extra rings feat, and they are gloves of storing (casting gloves), they only take up one hand each. Pathfinder changed this to "it takes up both hand slots" but it says no such thing with 3.5.

Oh he can do much more than a 20th level wizard...you obviously didn't read the whole char; there's much beyond the "useless" saves and AC...we are talking about Azrael because hes on a whole other level...similar to Omniscifer, or Pun-Pun.

Anyway, I'm done for the night.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:40:19 AM by Azrael »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2010, 02:42:04 AM »

Oh he can do much more than a 20th level wizard...you obviously didn't read the whole char; there's much beyond the "useless" saves and AC...we are talking about Azrael because hes on a whole other level...similar to Omniscifer, or Pun-Pun.

Anyway, I'm done for the night.
Spells noted in his tactics:
Genesis
MMM
Greater Consumptive Field
COP
Time Stop
Contingency...

Yeah, sure, he can use a few TO Psi tricks, too.  That's not special, it just saves him a few castings of COP.

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2010, 02:48:39 AM »
C. I honestly don't know what they can do but the same CoP, and Anticipate Teleportation, and Repulsion, etc applies to them as well...no matter how brilliantly planned they still need to get around my defenses -which is pretty much impossible no matter how many people or actions you have- and attack me before I can get my temporal acceleration off, thus gaining infinite actions.

H.I.V.E. Is a colossal hivemind that consists of tens of thousands of people with a preposterous pool of sorcerer spell and an even higher CL than Azrael normally sports.

Unless Azrael can somehow take more immediate actions than the whole army of Sorcerers (which would require him to have over 1,000 swift actions per turn) they will be able to move in and dismantle his defenses piece by piece. Clerical parts of the hive take away the veils, Disjunction is pounded down 100 times, and then a massive storm of irresistible spells and compulsions come after.

Azrael's problem is that he is one person.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2010, 03:57:46 AM »
H.I.V.E. Is a colossal hivemind that consists of tens of thousands of people with a preposterous pool of sorcerer spell and an even higher CL than Azrael normally sports.

Unless Azrael can somehow take more immediate actions than the whole army of Sorcerers (which would require him to have over 1,000 swift actions per turn) they will be able to move in and dismantle his defenses piece by piece. Clerical parts of the hive take away the veils, Disjunction is pounded down 100 times, and then a massive storm of irresistible spells and compulsions come after.

Azrael's problem is that he is one person.

Spells noted in his tactics:
Genesis
MMM
Greater Consumptive Field
COP
Time Stop
Contingency...

Yeah, sure, he can use a few TO Psi tricks, too.  That's not special, it just saves him a few castings of COP.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
H.I.V.E. is a collective of an arbitrarily high number of creatures, and as a result has an arbitrarily high Caster Level for Sorcerer spells and an arbitrarily high Charisma granting bonus spells.  Each creature that is a member of H.I.V.E. has their own set of actions (and, as such, has an arbitrarily high number of actions by default) and is aware of everything that at least one other member of the Hive is aware of.  What would actually happen in a battle between Azrael and H.I.V.E. is that H.I.V.E. would trigger each of your defenses with one member (sacrificing it if need be) and then proceed to the next level with the rest.  Your infinite actions are utterly meaningless, because no matter what you *can* do, H.I.V.E. goes first because it has more Celerities than you do, and more than enough actions to dismantle you piece-by-piece and destroy you utterly.

As for returning to life, all someone has to do is be prepared to fight you 25 hours in advance of when they intend to fight you, and your precognition of your own death allowing you the opportunity to strike pre-emptively will simply result in the guy that kills you killing you 24 hours earlier.  As soon as you die, any manner of soul-trapping ability will negate your clones, auto-Resurrections, etc.

Also, Azrael has no weaknesses because the basis of EVERYTHING he does are either the 6 spells I noted or their Psionic equivalents.  A standard Wizard 20 can use those exact same spells to achieve the exact same seemingly-immortal status that Azrael has, but, as it turns out, Azrael has one weakness a standard Wizard 20 doesn't have:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicArtifacts.htm#annulus

Once a Wizard 20 amasses the resources to go infinite actions and out-Celerity you to go first (probably by exploiting infinite Wish loops on his own flowing time Demiplane), he casts enough Time Stops to get 10 free rounds to charge the Annulus and destroys your body, captures your soul, and then uses it as a spell component to empower a casting of Prestidigitation to send you into oblivion, beyond the reach of every spell/power/DSA means of Revival ever printed except maybe Alter Reality.  Since you're basically an overbuffed Wizard 20 yourself, this doesn't even break the Annulus.

Seriously, Azrael is *not* that hot of shit.  He's about on par with a Cheater of Mystra, but not nearly on the same level as H.I.V.E. nor even in the ballpark of Pun-Pun.  Seriously, Pun-Pun has more power in his little toenail than Azrael does.

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2010, 07:13:51 AM »
H.I.V.E. is a collective of an arbitrarily high number of creatures, and as a result has an arbitrarily high Caster Level for Sorcerer spells and an arbitrarily high Charisma granting bonus spells.  Each creature that is a member of H.I.V.E. has their own set of actions (and, as such, has an arbitrarily high number of actions by default) and is aware of everything that at least one other member of the Hive is aware of.  What would actually happen in a battle between Azrael and H.I.V.E. is that H.I.V.E. would trigger each of your defenses with one member (sacrificing it if need be) and then proceed to the next level with the rest.  Your infinite actions are utterly meaningless, because no matter what you *can* do, H.I.V.E. goes first because it has more Celerities than you do, and more than enough actions to dismantle you piece-by-piece and destroy you utterly.

As for returning to life, all someone has to do is be prepared to fight you 25 hours in advance of when they intend to fight you, and your precognition of your own death allowing you the opportunity to strike pre-emptively will simply result in the guy that kills you killing you 24 hours earlier.  As soon as you die, any manner of soul-trapping ability will negate your clones, auto-Resurrections, etc.

Also, Azrael has no weaknesses because the basis of EVERYTHING he does are either the 6 spells I noted or their Psionic equivalents.  A standard Wizard 20 can use those exact same spells to achieve the exact same seemingly-immortal status that Azrael has, but, as it turns out, Azrael has one weakness a standard Wizard 20 doesn't have:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicArtifacts.htm#annulus

Once a Wizard 20 amasses the resources to go infinite actions and out-Celerity you to go first (probably by exploiting infinite Wish loops on his own flowing time Demiplane), he casts enough Time Stops to get 10 free rounds to charge the Annulus and destroys your body, captures your soul, and then uses it as a spell component to empower a casting of Prestidigitation to send you into oblivion, beyond the reach of every spell/power/DSA means of Revival ever printed except maybe Alter Reality.  Since you're basically an overbuffed Wizard 20 yourself, this doesn't even break the Annulus.

Seriously, Azrael is *not* that hot of shit.  He's about on par with a Cheater of Mystra, but not nearly on the same level as H.I.V.E. nor even in the ballpark of Pun-Pun.  Seriously, Pun-Pun has more power in his little toenail than Azrael does.

Thank you. I can't wait to see someone try to explain how they protect against an item that includes in its description "regardless of any protection it may possess"

You forgot the time traveling psi-crystal though. Not that it is a problem to use COP to discover the precise location where it will emerge and destroy it before it can activate.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2010, 07:18:41 AM »
Thank you. I can't wait to see someone try to explain how they protect against an item that includes in its description "regardless of any protection it may possess"

You forgot the time traveling psi-crystal though. Not that it is a problem to use COP to discover the precise location where it will emerge and destroy it before it can activate.
Time-traveling Psicrystal is moot.  It can only go so far into the future, so make your preparations before it goes in the first place and simply wait for the pre-emptive strike.

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »

Time-traveling Psicrystal is moot.  It can only go so far into the future, so make your preparations before it goes in the first place and simply wait for the pre-emptive strike.

Time is meaningless when you are crafting demiplanes with alternative timeflows. I was just pointing out that it was easy to find and break, so it didn't become some "perfect" fallback plan.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »
Even my lowly Red Wizard from Hell can destroy the Annilus.  Just sayin'.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!