Author Topic: Armour as Damage Reduction  (Read 4184 times)

Feyd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Armour as Damage Reduction
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 02:41:56 PM »
I think DR could be really helpful in low level campaigns.  Not sure it's that great as damage increases.

Jekolmy

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
DR can be handy in certian campaigns where minions try to nickle and dime you to death. Then again my players who had access to DR equipment (armor and force fields in my current game) pretty much ignored the fact that they had a decent amount of DR. They chose the offense option and can pretty much drop anything somewhat balanced I drop in front of them. I've also talked to them about this and they are willing to change their sheets a little to deal with that. DR systems can be abused pretty easily, especially the percentage DR drain. You could if you are playing with that say that you can't have DR above a certain percentage regardless of your actual score. That might solve the (im)mobile wall problem.

Then again there are plenty of attacks in both D&D and d20 Modern (the second is what my campaign is set in) that don't deal "normal" damage. "Ok you soaked my sword hit, my fireball, try my my ray of enfeeblement you silly hero! You can't even stand now!" I think it works for the most part if you are willing to write armor penetration stats for every single weapon you are going to use and watch for abuse.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
It's a running joke here. Turtles are laughable. It was intended to say that I expect a certain someone to post false information in support of 95% DR for the same reason.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »
Ah. I guess I was just not getting what you were saying, Sunic_Flames.

Feyd, Jekolmy: I'm firmly in the 'DR is fun to play' camp. Just making critical hits bypass it to some extent balances it a bit when it's too high, and if it's too low, beef it up. What I mean is that it's something that needs to be balanced out. I presented some ideas above, and I kinda like the total effect of a percentage; I just feel that it's 'too much math' if there is such a thing.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Jekolmy

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »
I'm not disagreeing that DR isn't fun to play with, I do find it fun and do a bit of work to be able to set up before a campaign. Then again like all things there is a needed balance and each group has their own balance... you like percentages, I don't (one of my players has some trouble with math... and I want to keep it as simple as possible).