Author Topic: Yet another epic thread  (Read 3739 times)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Yet another epic thread
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
10 levels of swiftblade is awesome for epic

black ethergaunt20/swiftblade10

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
I might be tempted to try:

Beguiler 5/Cleric 1/Dweomer Keeper 10/War Weaver 5/Eldrich Master 8/Cosmic Descryer 1

Eldrich Master is from Dragon #280 and adds another classes spell list to your list at levels 4 and 8.  Selecting Wizard and cleric will allow you to pretty much cast anything spontaneously.  You can also pick up extend spell, persistent spell, and alternative spell source to convert your arcane spells to divine to allow for divine metamagic.  Plus you still have supernatural spells.

Second Idea just because:

Dread Necromancer 21/1X/ Demi Lich 8LA

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:14:23 AM »
Dragon Magazine is, unfortunately, not allowed. Otherwise the idea would've been excellent. And the very point of Cosmic Descryer is to get Cosmic Connection and that requires seven levels and I am not exactly certain about us ever leveling six times during the life of that PbP.

The question regarding Disjunctions is a good one. The DM allowed me to craft epic spells prior to the game, but I would have to start at a lower level. I guess that is a relatively small price to pay, because I could just make the immunity spell a tiny emanation and use Permanent emanation epic feat to keep it going forever. It might be smart to pack a few other immunities to the same spell as well. Finally the Iron Siege threads are starting to help me as a player, too!

Didn't even think about the Black Ethergaunt to be honest. That would, however, mean no Spellguard of the Silverymoon to me. LA 4/Ethergaunt 16/Incantatrix 3/War Weaver 5/X 1 and then a level used to create that one custom epic spell. Lacks a means to pump the CL through the roof though, which isn't nice at all...

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 07:52:15 AM »
IMO spending 7 levels just to get Cosmic Connection is not worth it when you're "only" level 30. What do you want a huge CL for? Avoiding dispels? I don't think you intend to spam Holy Words, is it for Maw of Chaos and similarly uncapped spells?

If you go Ethergaunt, that's a more aggressive build and you should focus on boosting your save DCs: that's the whole point of the stratospheric Int and it likely means not going War Weaver at all.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
You could be right on both accounts. I am rather set on War Weaver though, I am really interested to try that. However, is it worth it assuming Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champion/bloodline trickery doesn't work? At level 30 5th level buffs are not quite as impressive as they are at level 15. Makes me wonder.

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »
IMO UT/LC doesn't work but I find it hard to argue against Bloodlines - and they have a fairly heavy cost associated with them so they're not even unbalanced.

The usefulness of WW depends on your party somewhat. Let's go for an example: one of the coolest move I used was Dimension Hop (PHB2, 2nd level) to teleport everyone in my party (assuming they're within Close range) CL/2 x 5ft. In Epic you'd do that with a move action at the beginning of combat or quickened in the middle of a fight.
That allows you to get them out of traps/forcecages/..., to target the most dangerous creatures, to set up flanks and the strike team can full-attack when their turn comes (it's great as part of your combat-opening combo).

The efficiency in terms of spell slots is also rather nice, and it shouldn't hurt even in epic where slots are less tight.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »
a fun way to avoid Disjunction on your Items in EPIC level play ..... make all your items Golems .... just shape them as the item you want exa:

Ring Shaped Golem
Shoe Shaped Golem
Hat Shaped Golem
etc....

golems are immune to Antimagic fields and immune to Disjunction ..... since they are Creatures  :p

:D

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 05:20:49 PM »
Carnivore is making awaken DM golem very uncomfortable ... hey now ?!
 ;)

Don't take this the wrong way, but epic allows enough craziness, that
Divine Mind 30 actually works. Throw in a recharge set-up.
You can just get to Epic Spells. You can use almost every other psi trick - even if slightly neutered (ouch).

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »
I'd like to add support to those suggesting some Dweomerkeeper levels.  The ability to cast a spell as a supernatural ability means not only free wishes, but avoiding the nasty, nasty drawbacks of epic spells that you should create.  No 50 k xp payment for me!

Cloistered Cleric 1 / Wizard 2 / Incantrix 10 / Initiate of the Seven-Fold Viels 7 / Dweomerkeeper 4 / War Weaver 5 / Hathran 1.  Using Skill Point Quickstep and Dark Chaos Shuffle as needed to meet feat requirements.  This gives you incantrix persist fun, War Weaver Buffing, great defense from Iot7FV, Supernatural spell, and spontaneous wizard casting via Acorn of Far Travel.

Use the quick step to put 100 ranks into spellcraft, get another +100 from an item familiar, and you might well manage a +300 spellcraft check, enabling some truly EPIC spells given that you can use Dweomerkeeper to avoid paying their full costs. 

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
Dragon Magazine is, unfortunately, not allowed. Otherwise the idea would've been excellent. And the very point of Cosmic Descryer is to get Cosmic Connection and that requires seven levels and I am not exactly certain about us ever leveling six times during the life of that PbP.

The +4HD cap is actually alot more useful unless you are not really all that interested in summoning, especially when paired with the Malenvocer.  The huge caster level increase is not all that impressive with only one spell a day, especially when the PrC puts you 4 caster levels behind to begin with (unless you are not taking any other dead levels and picking up practiced spell caster).  If you really have access to all the book sources, things like Suffer the Flesh persisent (Magic of Eberron +5 caster level), orange ioun stone (+1), ring of arcane might (+1), and Create Magic tatoo (Spell compendium +1) can really boost you up.  Not as much as the Cosmic Descyrer, but +8 on every spell all day is not bad.

You could be right on both accounts. I am rather set on War Weaver though, I am really interested to try that. However, is it worth it assuming Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champion/bloodline trickery doesn't work? At level 30 5th level buffs are not quite as impressive as they are at level 15. Makes me wonder.

Bloodlines works as Omen of Peace noted, the other PrCs are up to your DM and are cheesy.  But even with a major bloodline, that gets you to 8th level spells (assuming war weaver 5).  Sanctum spell metamagic lowers a spells level by 1 when cast outside your sanctum (not slot, but level).  If you use this feat in conjunction with War weaver you could get level 9 spells.  The key to your build then is to just find other classes that can benefit from the level boost.  Abjuration champion might work for example, but the AC boost is not really worth it at those levels.  I am sure there must be something that could benefit from the boost.

I'd like to add support to those suggesting some Dweomerkeeper levels.  The ability to cast a spell as a supernatural ability means not only free wishes, but avoiding the nasty, nasty drawbacks of epic spells that you should create.  No 50 k xp payment for me!

:clap I did not realize you could use that with epic spells.  I went back and looked, only metamagic and feats that modify spells do not work with epic spell casting.  I wonder what other fun class abilities can modify epic spells.

It is still too bad though that Eldrich Master is out.  I always thought Blackguard 22/Eldrich Master 8 would be fun.  Epic Blackguards can convert all the levels they want (assuming you fall once epic).  Eldrich Master would grant 5th and 6th level spells.  A few epic feats could grant 7th through 9th.  Plus you would end up with the cleric and wizard spells lists.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:28:42 PM by Widow »