Author Topic: Undead Lycanthropy  (Read 2073 times)

Skismz

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Undead Lycanthropy
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
(Brought over from a different board for more opinions)
So my group and I have been playing a campaign for over a year now and we decided it was time for a small change of scenery and have adapted some of the mini and big bosses we've fought over time into PC's to re-tell the story of our current world. (Basic backstory: Eberron, a very powerful lich has taken a permanent foothold in the world, creating a working undead metropolis, and is bent on world domination. Random smattering of heroes come together to drive back the forces of doom one black-ops-esqe surgical strike at a time, undead are literally everywhere, there is much explosions, swordplay, roleplaying ensues, everyone has fun, etc.)

The specifics are really in-depth and complex, and i would be hard-pressed to type all of the specifics down here but think Karrnath, only instead of humans, you have Necropilitans everywhere, open trade agreements with surrounding countries, political repercussions for our current heroes' actions, etc.

But thats enough about the past, back to the mini campaign we want to start up. We're taking the Lich (pre-lichification) and his lieutenants and starting our conquest from day 1.

I picked a particularly nasty Undead Werewolf our DM used in the original campaign as my PC. Gave him a nifty backstory. (Natural Lycanthrope beta male, damned by pack's spiritual leader during combat for cannibalizing what little remains of their pack, turns into a ghast -> meets pre-lich lich, sees potential for power and leadership he couldn't have in life in the un-life, becomes a devout follower/bodyguard/general eventually leads undead forces in battle to appease his master and bolster their ever-growing forces)

Then i got stuck...

Natural Lycanthrope + Undead = something like 12 ECL for not 1 class level (Using Libris Mortis Ghoul/Ghast Monster Class with Lycanthrope Template) if my math is correct... or ECL 7 if i use grave-touched ghoul. I've also considered making him a Death Knight, but thats just silly, even though it fits the concept.

We get to start at level 10, have access to pretty much any 3.5 book out there (subject to DM approval). As of now, the party is a little caster heavy, (3/5), so melee ability is important to me.

My eyes are bleeding from trying to make this PC as fun and min/max'ed as possible, but i just cant seem to get it right. I'd love to incorporate some type of necromantic casting or ability to raise followers, but Casting levels will be horrendous.

I was originally thinking (using Gravetouched Ghoul) of a Cleric/Bone Knight to gain access to the ability to command a small Undead force of my own, but I seem to lose a lot, (see: BAB, CL's), just because of the LA =/

Im open to changing race, classes etc. but the basic formula is Natural Lycanthrope + Undead Army General + Unholy Melee Combatant = win

So i turn to the forums for guidance, How would you craft this Undead Lycanthrope Monstrosity 1 - 20?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Undead Lycanthropy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
Which type of lycanthrope is it? wolf/bear/tiger?

Also the Ghoul/Ghast class from Libris Mortis has its own race, you cant just take levels in it to be a ghast.

Skismz

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »
Which type of lycanthrope is it? wolf/bear/tiger?

Wolf, as per previous campaign, but i'd be open to bribing my DM with cookies to change that... if we can make a reasonable argument against the awesomeness that is an undead werewolf  ;)

Also the Ghoul/Ghast class from Libris Mortis has its own race, you cant just take levels in it to be a ghast.

Well, the way I understood it, i'd create my base race (let's say Human) Natural Lycanthrope, then enter the Ghoul/Ghast monster class/Gravetouched ghoul template, then continue with class levels as normal.

Is that more clear?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:36:43 PM »
Ask the DM to bend the rules a bit and add necropolitan to a divine minion shifter using a wolf as the alternate form, for +1 LA, then buy it off. Then take 4+ levels in bard, mix in some Evil crusader and warblade with Song of the White Raven and some inspire courage optimization (using Perform: Oratory for threats and instructions on the field of battle).

This would be a very flavorful, mechanically powerful powerhouse, and would do what you want pretty much exactly.

Alternately, forgo shifter and use changeling instead, taking a dip into warshaper for a few natural attack options.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:39:45 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »

Well, the way I understood it, i'd create my base race (let's say Human) Natural Lycanthrope, then enter the Ghoul/Ghast monster class/Gravetouched ghoul template, then continue with class levels as normal.

Is that more clear?

Its was clear from the outset, however that is not how monster classes work, the template will work but the monster class requires you to be a (special weakened) ghoul to take levels in it.

Skismz

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
Its was clear from the outset, however that is not how monster classes work, the template will work but the monster class requires you to be a (special weakened) ghoul to take levels in it.

I'm looking at LM now and I fail to see where it states the (weakened ghoul) race. As it reads: Pick a race (human), and take your first level in ghoul/ghast.news this errata'd somewhere?

Ask the DM to bend the rules a bit and add necropolitan to a divine minion shifter using a wolf as the alternate form, for +1 LA, then buy it off. Then take 4+ levels in bard, mix in some Evil crusader and warblade with Song of the White Raven and some inspire courage optimization (using Perform: Oratory for threats and instructions on the field of battle).

Ran this by the DM, no web material, only books >.< And he's up in the air about +LA buy off.

Changeling could work, can work around the fluff to make it fit. Maybe gravetouched changeling cleric/bone knight/warshaper? Would it work?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:45:10 AM »
Set up your base race as Worghest (dragon 350).  Normally LA+2, but making it a lesser worgest (from the player's guide to faerun lesser planetouched rules), you get wolf form with LA+1.  You'll also be humanoid, so you qualify for necropolitan.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

fencediddy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »
Consider using this ghoul template. Note the explanation of the subtypes at the top - you still have a Con score and you're not immune to mind-affecting effects.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:30:34 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]