Author Topic: Grapple as a martial discipline?  (Read 3522 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Grapple as a martial discipline?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 02:44:21 AM »
Yes, but however, this is fantasy, and if you want a grappler to be any use he'd have to be able to successfully grab hold of epic sized enemies.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 08:15:37 AM »
Still, "make a [skill] check" would be quite a reasonable qualifier for more advanced grapple maneuvers. Isn't Setting Sun nearly precisely this, though? Although lacking in immobilization and stickyness - ability to stick to mobile enemies is something that's more or less missing from warrior's repertoire.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 10:04:53 AM »
Maybe there's a spectrum of maneuvers depending on the size difference

Two sizes above: Grab on - move with enemy, harder for enemy to attack. Can advance to ride (saddles and training makes it easier to perform on horses, etc).
Within one size category: Wrestle - penalise both participants. Can advance to pin.
Two sizes below: Hold - enemy cannot move, harder for enemy to attack, uses up one hand or other manipulator, which may be the only thing that can be used to attack it. Maybe you need two hands for larger enemies and one hand for smaller ones. Can advance to swallow whole.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:03:31 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Thats an interesting thought.
Inverted size bonus/penalties for foe-climbing techniques?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »
Thats an interesting thought.
Inverted size bonus/penalties for foe-climbing techniques?
Well, in many cases the enemy you're climbing can't see you (though it may be able to feel you climbing). It also may not be able to attack something on its back effectively unless it has tentacles or something.

Could this be represented as cover or concealment?

There's the risk of the enemy hurting itself when it tries to attack you. Maybe you can make Hide checks (or maneuvers based on Hide checks) to avoid its attacks?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:05:02 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 12:32:23 PM »
I think it would, your own body provides cover, and most such creatures have a significant size and dexterity bonus to avoid being hit, while when a small creature is on a larger, it retains freedom of movement while the larger does not, relatively speaking.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
Hey Prime would you be interested in a collaboration?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
Perhaps.
My work

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »
How May I convince you :D