Author Topic: Help me with a thought experiment on Archivist & Divine classes here...  (Read 5014 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Okay. So a thought experiment has been bugging me for some time now.  Lets say you have the following scenario, and are optimizing a party:

(NOTE: I have HEAVILY edited this post based on people's feedback)

"Two nature gods, one Neutral Good (Equivalent to Ehlonna/Meilikki/Arawai/Habakkuk) and one Neutral Evil (I haven't statted him yet, but Malar is a good start, What is Malar's equivalent in Greyhawk/Eberron/Dragonlance? Ah I'll just get an equivalent number of thematic domains and be done with it!), have devised a scenario of champions to settle their differences.  They both cooperate to create a world together, one that is full of nature's benevolence and nature's wrath.  They populate it with all sorts of plants and animals, as well as various sorts of minor fae and humanoid foes and challenges, and all sorts of places holy to their ideals.  They make sure that arcane magic will NOT work in this world at all, and the only planes that any non deity which travels or uses abilities to link to it are a special version of each deity's home plane.  They make sure that there are no magic items in the world, and none of the demihumans in the world have the ability to create any, and there is no actual 'civilization' anywhere on the world.  The two gods see they have created a world to their liking, and they further wager that, should one group of champions win, then the world they created jointly will continue to flourish in the image of the winner, and the losing deity would have to take an embarrassing position in charge of minor creatures and demihumans.  Both deities agree to this wager on the future of this world, as well as using this system to settle their differences.  They then each create seven human champions, imbue them with a limited amount of divine power (ie, they are all level 1 divine classes, they have some knowledge of what they have to do (ie, overcome challenges on this continent until they have the full measure of their power, and then seek out and destroy the other group as soon as the other group has amassed the same level of power), they have their spells, anything needed to cast their spells, they have skills appropriate to the setting, and they start with some simple wooden weapons and tools), and drop each group in their own continents.  The PC's are the Neutral Good group.  What scrolls they scribe (on paper they make...) and items they create and spells they cast will show what is going to become 'what is possible' in the future of this world, and they will at some point obtain some of the spells from certain options that they chose not to have, but only to scribe them for item creation and open them up for future generations, not to actually cast.  How is this group best built, and what should they do to prepare?  How should they try to survive and go up against appropriate threats with only self crafted items using spells they specifically have access to?  Also assume for the sake of the thought experiment that only one character (Presumably the Archivist) can get item creation feats beyond what is given automatically by classes or prestige classes.  Also the NG group will never be granted the ability to cast any obviously evil spells, nor will they have any spells with the Evil or related subtype where that type was obviously not a typo.  The available domains for the NG group are (based on combining several setting's NG nature domains, and a few other thematic ones): Animal, Celerity, Creation, Good, Life, Plant, Purification, Renewal, Sun, Travel, Water, and Weather, Storm, Air. Note any of these domains which happen to have two or more versions of the same spell list, allow a choice from ALL spells listed to be put in domain slots.  The NE group's deity has access to these domains: Animal, Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Moon, Strength, Bestial, Fire, Earth, Hatred, Retribution, Darkness, Shadow, and Hunger.  All outsiders linked to this realm are directly serving one of these two deities, in their home realm of this setting... so no Pazuzu cheese, cause he doesn't exist in this setting, and anything 'demonic' probably works directly for the NE deity."

Also by DM Fiat, you can't get access to spells that monsters, outsiders, angels or whatever have for actual on screen casting time, unless you are writing that as one of your "limited throughout the entire campaign, really planned out, this is a ritual thing" casting of one of the 'for posterity' spells on your list that you didn't choose and won't get access to.  I'm thinking perhaps that every major way of getting access to this can be used as an excuse for a ritual, ONCE, that lets you cast that obscure spell as part of that ritual? So collecting ways to get access to the spells you won't GET in your build itself is useful, each of those excuses can fuel one ritual throughout the game or so?  So the Chameleon / Extra Spell floating feat could help the Shugenja or Bard easily get their for posterity stuff written down early, OR someone get access to a spell *their compatriots could also cast*, BUT it would only be able to be used as a way to cast a "posterity only" spell ONCE in the game, as part of a ritual. Comprende?

NG Cloistered Cleric-- Celerity, Knowledge, Travel. Use Contemplative to pick up Creation or Renewal.

NG Druid (Shapeshifting Variant maybe, so that there is some capability to shapeshift at day one, cause they will probably need it...)

NG Gestalt-ish Good Domain Religious Adept / Sentinel (NG Paladin) (using one combined spell list, this seems to be a good way to get access to the Adept list, the Good list 1-5, and make the Paladin useful in a spellcasting focused world.  Miracle or one of the other 'it gets written down if they win' options would get that access to spells on the normal paladin list that happen to not be on the Sentinel or Good Religious Adept list.)

NG Savage Divine Bard -- pick up spells that are useful in early item creation that are not on anyone else's list. (Miracle will eventually get the rest of the Savage Bard spells that the character didn't choose, for later generations, as well as access to the un-chosen spells on the normal Divine Bard list, as divine spells)

NG Mystic Ranger (Wild Shape Variant, I wrote up a 'here is a bunch of medium dromeosaurid forms' for the wild shape ranger elsewhere, I might put up a link if folk ask for it.)

NG Shugenja -- I'm thinking an Air/Zephyr Shugenja, the Illusionist of the group?  Letting Color Spray exist in the setting is important!

NG Archivist -- focus on item creation, focus on Runes (Presumably written in Sylvan, which I would say is the language everyone speaks, which is the core language to Elven... hell, I'd give them all Druidic too, as that is a language that only THEY know, that no one else on the planet but the opfor group knows), going into Runecaster. Archivist 10/Runecaster 10 would be great.

I don't see any particular reason to get the Healer class.  Since the Archivist is the crafter, taking large numbers of very versatile item creation feats (see my possible list later), and liberally using the skill improvement spells to make masterwork mundane items... with the spells given *from* his companions, that they specifically have access to, and with Miracle (and similar things) only giving access to, beyond existing spells, "Spells the companions could have chosen to have but didn't," what would be possible to make? What *appropriate* ways to add spells to these character's lists are there, keeping in mind that there aren't actually any wizards anywhere to actually get spells from, and by divine fiat they can't get access to any spells from the Opposing Team?  I'm thinking of characters taking lots of Initiate feats, or other feats that add a small list of spells to the spell list...  What prestige classes that are thematically appropriate add specific spells known to their existing lists?  I'm thinking a prestige class that ADDS a domain that is not a deity's domain is the only way to get that domain in existence in the setting!  is there a useful and relevant base class I missed, by the way?

Note: If the druid goes Planar Shepherd, the only plane they would have access to is the specially made plane of their patron deity, with some useful but not overpowering planar traits (like extend and enlarge some of the spellcasting, for example), and they could go talk to the deity there, and presumably learn from the individual creatures that have specific spells they might not otherwise have chosen, but this would simply be another way for the party to get access to spells that are on their extended list(s), but that they didn't choose to have access to for some reason, for posterity.  Also if they manage to SUMMON these unique individuals somehow, they can learn the spells from them, but only if it is the type of summoning that gets them a unique individual, and that individual describes the spell to them for the Archivist's book.  Basically, any of these or other tricks simply trick that gets them access to their "expanded" lists, they are doing their duty to the later generations... but there will be a limited number of times in the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN when they might be able to CAST one of these spells for some purpose, and it would probably have to be done as a ritual or something, probably to enable item creation... if they take a feat that lets them have access to more spells on their list, that's another thing entirely, of course. But guys, PLEASE help me figure out their 'expanded' lists, that's what I am asking for, mostly!

And I tried to figure out what item creation feats the Archivist 10/Runecaster10 would HAVE... what do you guys think of this?

Scribe Scroll 1st
Legendary Artisan 1st
Extraordinary Artisan 1st
Craft Wondrous Item 3rd
Inscribe Rune 6th -- making lots of wondrous items totally not needed, especially with runecaster benefits!
Craft Magic Arms and Armor 9th -- I guess it's possible to get by without ANY magic weapons and armor, and just using Wondrous items until level 9, right? How well would that work? If they needed good armor, I would say, as soon as they get access to Wood Shape, after an early quest, everyone has access to Duskwood Breastplates (which act like Mithral Breastplates, but made of wood and not as hard or tough, but just as light as mithril breastplates), and if they later, with a quest, "Blue" it to get it to hardness 15 like true mithril, similar to the alchemically treated Bluewood, and then when they have access to the Ironwood spell, "Ironwood" it, which would give them basically the bonuses of Adamantine and Mithril together, letting it having hardness 30 and being just as light as Mithril...
Craft Scepter 10th -- these seem better than wands, right? Are any staffs worth it AT ALL over scepters? Scepters really do seem to be the best for this...
Craft Rod 12th -- Rods are good! Nightsticks are rods! Woohoo!
Sanctify Relics 15th --Gotta get those Raptor Arrows somehow!  Though I guess with this group they'd have to be Raptor Atlatl Javelins or something... but that would be totally awesome...
Forge Ring 18h -- Rings are good too!

Been thinking a lot... Here's a list of weapons that would be considered 'simple' and 'druid' for this setting... EVERYONE starts proficient with these weapons. What do you all think? If you'll notice, all of the simple weapons can be almost completely made out of normal wood with no problems.. Yes, basically all weapons that do slashing damage are Martial!  You need flintknapping (or exotic woods, or the ironwood spell and wood shape, or whatever) for those, at least! :)

Light Club 1d6, 20/x2, Bludgeoning, Light Weapon
Club 1d8 20/x2 Bludgeoning, 1 handed
Greatclub 1d10 20/x2 Bludgeoning, 2 handed
Shortstaff 1d6/1d6 20/x2 Bludgeoning, 2 Handed
Longstaff 1d6 20/x2 Bludgeoning 2 handed, 10' Reach
Throwing Spear 1d6 20/x2 30' Range Increment, Piercing, 1 Handed, Can be thrown with an Atlatl*
Longspear 1d8 20/x3 Piercing, 2 Handed, 10' Reach
Blowgun 1d3 20/x2, 10' range increment, maximum 5 range increments, piercing, fires blowgun needles, requires two hands to fire and reload, and a move action to reload.
Small Boomerang 1d4 damage, 20/x2, 20' range increment, Bludgeoning, 1 Handed, Ranged ONLY, returns on a miss
Large Boomerang 1d8 damage, 20/x2, 30' range increment, Bludgeoning, 1 Handed, Ranged ONLY, does not return on a miss

*Atlatl--improves thrown damage of a throwing spear to 1d8, 20/x3, increases range increment to 90', atlatl adds a +2 to the character's effective strength for throwing the spear, as the character can use their existing strength more effectively. Requires a Move action to Reload a new Throwing Spear.

Note:  Rapid Reload works just fine with an Atlatl and Blowgun.

So, I'm thinking of instead of giving them MONEY, just say, "the price of items is in order to determine how long and how difficult they are to cast.  Items are created using treasure that basically counts as experience for purposes of crafting, which should follow the wealth per level curve, based on an average of how much experience it takes a normal crafter to make that much money worth of magic items.  At any given moment, your group will have 1/8th the gp in expendible XP equivalent for item creation of your expected wealth per level, per character.  No actual loss of real honest XP is happening in this game by DM fiat.  Nonmagical crafting will be quite generous, but you have to actually find materials -- some stuff will be placed in the gameworld, and getting stuff will be part of the story, but if characters want to make specific nonmagical things, bring it up out of game and I'll see what I can do."  Of course, this particular group would end up with lots of items made of oak/densewood/darkwood/duskwood/bronzewood/ironwood/bluewood/serrenwood/livewood, those being pretty much all the useful woods in D&D for crafting (heh, only oak for Shillelagh!).

Of course, the two groups would only meet after they have maxxed out 20th level experience, and maxxed out their crafting reserve, at which point they would do some big long epic battle thing where if one character in either group is alive, and everyone else in the two groups is dead, THAT GROUP WINS.

Sorry, for some reason, this setting idea / thought experiment has been bugging me!  Although it would definitely be an INTERESTING way to figure out, ultimately, what an Archivist can do in a setting.. and what the group could do!  It's also interesting as the Archivist ONLY gets access to spells at precisely the same time his compatriots do... and for those who have to choose a few spells from a larger spell list, like the Divine Bard and the Shujenga would have to mostly choose spells from their lists that no one else has access to...  The party will need some interesting tricks to get access to extra spells that they can actually CAST, while they are simultaneously looking for ways to get extended lists down for posterity... getting access to as many of their god's domains would be important, for example, and as many extra domains as possible!  As well as spell adding feats and prestige classes and such... But could you all help me enumerate those, okay?  Oh, FYI, "Rapid access to a particular alternative spellcasting list" prestige classes, feats, and such do not exist, instead go for things that are appropriate for that deity that ADD divine spells to one of the group's characters' lists would be appropriate.  I can't stress this enough! I just don't know about things that do that other than initiate feats! But this rule says no Ur-Priests or Nentyar Hunters, a workable thing would be a prestige class that ADDS to spells known like Sandshaper does for Arcane spells.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:26:30 AM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
No Ur-Priest...?  :bigeye

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
You'll have to overcome the Ur-Priest that the bad guys have, maybe? Maybe the opposite group isn't quite as divine? Or should the opposing group be from an opposing deity? Not sure, having the bad guys have the FIRST Ur-Priest and a bunch of Arcanists might be interesting...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:07:27 PM by Gavinfoxx »

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
You could use the artificer(limited to only divine) to craft all of the objects, and you might want to make two of each class, to help. To me it seems to put a whole lot of pressure on each character just having one of each.... But that's just my opinion. I love the idea though. Good luck with it. I hope it works out well.

P.S. Runecaster from MoF(I think) is a really cool divine prc, you might want to check it out.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Huh, Runecaster looks really nice.  He'd have to give up say, Craft Construct, but I don't see how that's too big of a deal.  Really, with the massive spell list, you can come up with pretty much anything useful and put it in a Rune... of course, that would mean there are no golems in the setting, oh no! Unless there is some other way to create permanent servant types using the resources they have, that is appropriate for NG characters?  They would presumably have access to a TON of undead creation stuff (...divine casters...) but they probably wouldn't want to use them...  Sadly, Runestaves wouldn't be available in the setting thousands of years later (the idea is that these people would be coming up with the basic skeleton of what sorts of magic items were available), but at least knowstones for DIVINE BARDS might... no potions either, but lots of alchemical stuff, no doubt, and alchemical stuff can be made without XP cost anyway!  And scepters ARE pretty damn cool.  Level 1 scepter of cure light wounds and lesser vigor ftw! 1125 for the basic healing item for any campaign, useful inside or outside of combat, awesome!  How would you all stat eternal scepters based on the eternal wand rules, guys? And can you maybe consider helping answer any of my specific questions?

I'd think this particular group would end up with lots of items made of darkwood/duskwood/bronzewood/ironwood/bluewood/serrenwood/livewood.  I'd say if I were to ever RUN this game (hah! I doubt players would go for the amount of executive meddling the setting implies), I'd probably have to have more detailed rules on what COULD be made from natural materials, and change the weapon proficiencies around (simple and druid weapon proficiency would be "stuff that can be made out of wood without much expertise to start with", like club, greatclub, shortspear, spear, longspear, quarterstaff, longstaff, dart, javelin, atlatl, blowgun, boomerang, hunting boomerang) and I would probably want to take a close look at Frostburn for some of their stuff... martial weapons would be things like dagger, shortbow, longbow, handaxe, throwing axe, maquahitl, greataxe, attacking with shields, warslings, sap, truncheon, lasso, net, anything that works fine using wood + another matieral like obsidian, twine, rope, or leather, and exotic weapons would be anything that requires metal or special expertise to make, like composite longbow, composite shortbow, anything that has anything to do with, you know... FARMING (flails, scythes, sickles, kamas, nunchucku, all the stuff based on farming utensils)... and everyone would probably be speaking Sylvan as "common"...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:53:37 PM by Gavinfoxx »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
evil wins right?

assuming book of vile / taint / corruption / ur / undead / bastards..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Why does it have to be a nature god? If there is only one god for this world, wouldn't it embody all aspects?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Nature god ---> A druid adventures with you!

And no, I guess there would be multiple gods, but maybe one group per continent? One group per alignment?? I dunnnooooo....

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
evil wins right?

assuming book of vile / taint / corruption / ur / undead / bastards..

Well...  I'm presuming the good guys would be PC's, and the bad guys wouldn't have access to Druid?  And they would maybe have some trouble cooperating, depending on their alignment?  And they would maybe mostly have access to ONE of the "extra evil" subsystems, maybe a different one per evil group?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:54:41 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Hmm...so each continent would have a "themed" group...interesting.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Hmm...so each continent would have a "themed" group...interesting.

I don't knoowwww... the idea is they start interacting at high levels only, and they are all competing, even the ones with related alignments.  Of course there are demihumans that have minor magic and no magical items ALL OVER the place, but the real threat is the competitors... but it's a thought exercise, with a few specific questions asking for help, not a campaign setting yet...  I just want to know what sorts of things this group would be capable of, and some help with spells, and what items would and wouldn't be possible to make, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:54:14 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Well, just me thinking here, but couldn't the Archivist gain spells from summoning certain monsters?
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Well, just me thinking here, but couldn't the Archivist gain spells from summoning certain monsters?

Well I would say it would have to be the type of summon yanks a particular, actual individual of that monster from elsewhere, rather than a generic creature that only exists for the duration of the summon, like for the summon nature's ally sorts of summon.  And for the record, I'm trying to figure out what sorts of things are possible by relying ONLY on your party to provide spells, that's the whole point of the, uh, THOUGHT EXERCISE.  The whole idea is to be the progenitor for "what sorts of spells and items get passed down, because these are the people who actually had them first".

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Oh okay, thought spells learned from creatures from spells cast by the party would fall under it. Mainly just to see how far they could branch out, and thus what they could pass down, but as that is not the case, nevermind.

Skipping generic spellcaster (Unearthed)?
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Oh okay, thought spells learned from creatures from spells cast by the party would fall under it. Mainly just to see how far they could branch out, and thus what they could pass down, but as that is not the case, nevermind.

Skipping generic spellcaster (Unearthed)?

Ya, skipping generic spellcaster.  But presumably, if the group wanted to find a PARTICULAR creature that could teach the archivist a *particular* divine spell, and then go seek out or summon that creature, they could, and if there is, like, one or two specific spells that they would really need that they don't have, they could presumably do it.  But they have access to the majority of the divine list, don't they?  I am just trying to figure out what is possible with the basic concept of "an archivist only gets spells from his companions, how to optimize his companions to have the biggest list possible, and when he does get it, what is and isn't possible with that list."  But, again, I have a lot of specific questions in the first post, that I would like some help on...

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Oh...I was thinking of arcane spells that were being cast as divine.

I don't see any particular reason to get the Healer class, everything they can cast is on the Cleric's list, right?
If a character REALLY wanted to play a healer I wouldn't stop them, I don't see any spell that couldn't be cast by others, but I think they get a few noncleric spells.
and the Religious Adept *does* have at least one spell that they wouldn't otherwise get, right? Or am I mistaken?
If we are talking about the NPC class, then yes it looks like they get stuff not normally gained via divine.
Should I change domains around? What other nature deity -- from any of the D&D settings, really -- would work best for this concept?
I suggest custom gods, with your prefered domains for them. 
Which alternate paladin of equivalent alignment to a nature deity from wherever has a good unique spell list? Are there any spells on the Sentinel list that aren't being obtained elsewhere? What about the Shugenja? And let's say that the Archivist is the crafter, taking large numbers of very versatile item creation feats, and liberally using the skill improvement spells to make masterwork mundane items... with the spells given *from* his companions, that they specifically have access to, what would be possible to make? What *appropriate* ways to add spells to these character's lists are there, keeping in mind that there aren't actually any wizards anywhere to actually get spells from, even if they gain theoretical access to the wizard list?  What prestige classes that are thematically appropriate add specific spells known to the lists? is there a base class I missed?
Dunno.

[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Oh...I was thinking of arcane spells that were being cast as divine.

*snip in which Sohala actually helps by answering some of my questions

Thank you! As far as arcane spells cast as divine by that weird arbitrary and mostly unexplained mechanic that some monsters have, that seems kinda... yea, not what I'm looking for.  If the creatures have divine spells and have an arcane spell on their list, but they specifically only cast divine spells, MAYBE.  And yes, I was talking about the NPC Adept class, the Eberron version that actually gets a Domain though.  It would still be useful to the group, and isn't an incredibly underpowered class in this setting? Of course if this was actually being played, then the Adept and the Archivist would presumably be the main NPC's.  And, if I did do a custom nature god with those domains, which of them should the cleric use as his main two domains? What about for the contemplative domain? Any other ways to pick up an extra domain that will add spells that aren't otherwise found in anyone else's list? Which should the Religious Adept have?  If it sounds like I am asking the same questions over and over again, I kind of am, but I don't know which people will read which replies in this thread, so I want to make sure that whoever does reply understands what type of help I would like. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:41:35 AM by Gavinfoxx »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Sadly those answers fall under player's choice, and preferred flavor, imo.

But my choice, thinking long term here, cleric would get animal (shapechange), travel (teleport), renewal (PaO). That is looking at spells gained; some might go for certain devotions, or some other avenue.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Well of course they fall under player choice, that's why this is a thought and party optimization exercise and not a game I'm running.  Does anyone know much about item optimization when it is NOT a given that you will have the requisite spell you need to create the item in the first place?

Yes, I can DEFINITELY see that getting access to teleport is REALLY REALLY important in this game... they wouldn't otherwise have it, and many magic items require Teleport to function, don't they?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:13:43 AM by Gavinfoxx »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Miracle to get whatever spell you need? Just a thought. Ignoring that though, I would probaly do custom items, to avoid possibly not having the spell.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress