Author Topic: An actual build. For an actual Campaign. Not Food for Thought.  (Read 3451 times)

A_Shadow_of_Life

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Okay! Here's the deal.
Stats: 19, 18, 16, 16, 15, 14
Free LA +4
No spellcasting of levels 6+ (Yes, this campaign is making me grind my teeth! :P)
Pretty any material allowed.
Level 3, no flaws or traits
Looking to use Psychic Warrior, but I will settle for whatever will get the job done.

Debated Psy War 3, Feral and Voidmind.. but I am open to other possibilities.

I have to either be a tough tank OR good at infiltration, as the goal is to hunt down a group of individuals.

Go Nuts.
:lovefirefox

[spoiler][/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: An actual build. For an actual Campaign. Not Food for Thought.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »
How do you get a 19 before racial adjustments?

If you're getting a free LA +4 and can have spellcasting but nothing too high-level, I'd consider making a warrior type lich.  Maybe a duskblade or something, though psychic warrior could also work.  Something heavy on Cha (paladin of tyranny?) would be good if you want to pimp out your paralysis attack.  If anyone asks, you used to be a much more powerful spellcaster, but after you achieved lichdom, you used one of those fake-being-alive spells and had a wight buddy drain off those levels -- being a full caster was only a means to quasi-immortality, not something you wanted to spend eternity doing.

Getting the cost of the phylactery past the DM might be really tricky, though.  Maybe you don't HAVE your phylactery, and that's why you're out adventuring -- it's gone missing and you're trying to find it before it's destroyed, or possibly you know who has it and they're holding it as a blackmail threat over you to control you, for now.

Lich is pretty damned tough, you get a host of immunities plus pretty big damage reduction.  None too shabby at sneaky-type infiltration either, you get a racial bonus of +8 on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:08:49 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
Cancer Mage. Do it.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:14:03 AM »
Cancer Mage. Do it.
Out of curiosity, would a cancer mage lose the Str boosts from Festering Anger if he became undead and immune to disease, or would that stay?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:16:38 AM »
I suspect they would lose it due to the immunity.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:22 AM »
Awww, that sucks.  No running around as Herculich.

A_Shadow_of_Life

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »
19: is from the DM. He's a little weird.

No Cancer Mage Abuse. Too OP for this game >.> They want kind of low key, so I want semi low key but tough enough to live :3

Lich is iffy.

Thought about Mulhorandi Divine Minion and taking Aberrant Blood + Aberrant Wild Shape, is this legal? If so.. Assume Supernatural Ability.. and to find yummy aberrations ;)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:52 AM »
Ghost.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 02:06:26 AM »
You might want to look through this thread for ideas for the LA.  You're already considering feral.  Mineral warrior gives +2 str, +4 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha, DR 8/adamantine, and +3 natural armor for 1 LA.  Lolth touched (MMIV) gives +6 str and +6 con for 1 LA.  Draconic creature (Races of the Dragon) gives +2 str, +2 con, +2 cha, and +1 natural armor for 1 LA. 

Altogether, those give +14 str, -2 dex, +14 con, -6 int, +10 natural armor, DR 8/adamantine, and fast healing 2 for 4 LA.  That seems pretty good for the tough guy idea. 

the_shadowmind

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:11:02 AM »
How about a sneaky tank? 
Dark Draconic [Whisper Gnome]. for a total stat bonus of +0 STR +2 DEX +4 CON +2 INT +2 WIS  +4 CHA. with a +2 LA template of choice( or switch out whisper gnome for a +2 creature.)

Or an anti-spell tank?

Dark Spellwarped Whisper Gnome +2 STR +6 CON +4 DEX +4 INT -2 CHA SR 11+HD, use better if has, the benefit of a spell failing on you are decent for the Spellwarped template. [MMIII] Your CON and DEX will be good for the Fort. and Reflex saves, you have a base speed of 40ft, low light vision, cold resistance 10, to one of your choice a base hide modifier of +16 and a +10 Move silently modifier, and +2 NA armor, and a (Ex) Hide in plain sight.
If it is possible to willingly fail an caster level to to by pass SR, then anyone with a at will SLA could zap you and fail for you to get a bonus.

Dragonamedrake

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »
Race: Divine Minion (Nephthys) (+1) Spellwarped (+3)
Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +4
+2 NA
SR 11+ lvl - And you get some major buffs for any spells that dont make it past your SR
Fast Wild Shape (Wildshape as a lvl 11 druid AT WILL, Wildshape is a FREE action, Stay Wildshape indefinatly)
Immune to Fear

Class: Mystic Wildshape Ranger
Full Base Attack
Wildshape as druid. Fast movement as Barb.
Cast up to 5th lvl spells

Get Sword of the Arcane Order : nets you the Wizard spell list as long as you have a spell book with the spell.
At 3rd lvl your Wildshaping as a 14th lvl druid(assuming they stack which I dont see why not)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:53:25 AM by Dragonamedrake »

AngellusMortus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:20:56 AM »
How do you get a 19 before racial adjustments?

If you're getting a free LA +4 and can have spellcasting but nothing too high-level, I'd consider making a warrior type lich.  Maybe a duskblade or something, though psychic warrior could also work.  Something heavy on Cha (paladin of tyranny?) would be good if you want to pimp out your paralysis attack.  If anyone asks, you used to be a much more powerful spellcaster, but after you achieved lichdom, you used one of those fake-being-alive spells and had a wight buddy drain off those levels -- being a full caster was only a means to quasi-immortality, not something you wanted to spend eternity doing.

Getting the cost of the phylactery past the DM might be really tricky, though.  Maybe you don't HAVE your phylactery, and that's why you're out adventuring -- it's gone missing and you're trying to find it before it's destroyed, or possibly you know who has it and they're holding it as a blackmail threat over you to control you, for now.

Lich is pretty damned tough, you get a host of immunities plus pretty big damage reduction.  None too shabby at sneaky-type infiltration either, you get a racial bonus of +8 on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.

Shameless replug of a build I'm using right now, copy pasted from another thread:

The Shadowbane Inquisitor PrC from Complete Adventurer is amazing for the Fallen Paladin route, because A) the class is very interesting (zealots who believe it's okay to sacrifice the innocent to prevent evil) and has the potential to be TERRIFYING if Fallen, and B) Shadowbane levels stack with Paladin levels to determine what Blackguard bonuses you get for Falling, but you don't actually lose any of your Shadowbane abilities for turning evil, as the first level ability Conviction lets you keep them no matter what. This can get you a pretty crazy Sneak Attack, 4th level Blackguard spells, and a high BAB. Build would be something like...

Rogue 2/Paladin 4/Shadowbane Inquisitor 8, then at this point become a Blackguard and convert all of those paladin levels to Blackguard, ending as a
Rogue 2/Shadowbane Inquisitor 8/Blackguard 10. +19 BAB, 4th level Blackguard Spells  which can be DMMed (though you mentioned not wanting to do that,) a Smite that can be used on anyone, and 7d6 Sneak Attack.

If you wanted to do something really bizarre, the character I'm playing is actually a slight alternate of the above because I wanted to do something slightly different...He's actually a Rogue 2/Shadowbane Inquisitor 7/Blackguard 7/Lich +4 LA. This knocks you down to +15 BAB (though if you go epic one level, you'll get that last BAB), 4th Level Blackguard Spells, and 6d6s Sneak Attack, PLUS he's an undead, incorporating all the immunities and bonuses that includes. You can DMM the 3rd level Blackguard spell Fangs of the Vampire King (SpC) to get a free Natural Attack, which the Lich can channel his Paralyzing Touch ability through. A Full Attack would be 3 Power Attacked swings from some scary 2hander, Sneak Attack damage (this guy actually has great hide/move silently, and can summon things to flank) followed by a Negative Energy bite from the fangs that drain 1 Constitution and forces a DC 31 Fort Save or they're paralyzed. (10+ 1/2HD (8) + 13, assuming a 36 CHA). Throw a ring of Positive Energy Immunity on him to be really unpleasant.

Of course, with your LA +4 for free, you could go with the former route listed above and still get the lich goodies. Actually, if you take 2 levels of Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter instead of Blackguard 9-10, you gain your Cha to saves again, meaning x2 CHA to all saves, and only lose 1d6 Sneak Attack.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:23:33 AM by AngellusMortus »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
If ToB is allowed, how about a Warblade Ghost?

Or a Warblade Thri-Keen, focusing on that jumping and dual wielding style.

Also A gish don't need to go over spellcasting level 5 to be effective. Consider the Master Spellthief builds mixed with some abjurant champion goodyness.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

A_Shadow_of_Life

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
Ghost is +5, so notworking. And no incorporeal please. -Low Key- as in, good but not "omfg" :P

And I have decided.. something with Divine Minion (Set).. if it's legal for this idea.

Take Aberrant Blood, Aberration Shape (Or whatever it is called, Lords of Madness feat)

And Assume Supernatural Ability

Does this work? If so, how does Wild Shape work exactly? Could I, say.. turn into a Beholder at level 3 because I use Wild Shape as a lvl 11 Druid? If not, does at least the aberration shape work?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »
Ghost is +5, so notworking. And no incorporeal please. -Low Key- as in, good but not "omfg" :P

And I have decided.. something with Divine Minion (Set).. if it's legal for this idea.

Take Aberrant Blood, Aberration Shape (Or whatever it is called, Lords of Madness feat)

Does this work? If so, how does Wild Shape work exactly? Could I, say.. turn into a Beholder at level 3 because I use Wild Shape as a lvl 11 Druid? If not, does at least the aberration shape work?

LOW-KEY???

I'm going to ninja someone by suggesting a simple good-old Pixie Crusader :) or Pixie Factotum.

Or a half-fey phrenic human Factomaeleon.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »
Well, I was suggesting the savage progression (link in sig).

A couple of the lesser planetouched races might be good.  If you're allowed to use the stupidly literal interpretation and get lesser fey'ri as LA+0, they're good.  Otherwise, I'm really partial to a templated lesser mechantrix (heal from electricity), though a lesser aasimar/half-celestial transition is prett good too.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
Pixies are a LOT of fun to play. :D
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

idontmuchcareforit

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »
+1 for pixie.
My girlfriend played a pixie paladin in a campaign i was in.  She was super useful especially at low levels because she was entirely unkillable, and entirely unfindable.

If you had some spare time, a ride-by attack centaur using a lance sounds interesting.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »
To expand on my suggestion: Pixie Wildshape Mystic Ranger with trapfinding variant instead of track.

Result:
* All the pixie goodies.  
* Wildshape like you wanted.  
* Sword of the Arcane Order for Wiz/Sor spells up to 5th level (at Sorcerer speed!)
* Full BAB
* Good Skills
* Trapfinding
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:58:19 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

A_Shadow_of_Life

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »

Pixie drops Greater Invis in this game. Sorry guys but  alot of sstuff is basically nerfed in this campaign, thus why I came to the boards with it.

And it is why I am asking about the Divine Minion Wild Shape, some insight would be helpful!!!!!

[spoiler][/spoiler]