Author Topic: Eight Trigrams Sealing Spell Array - Ayu  (Read 4751 times)

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
Eight Trigrams Sealing Spell Array - Ayu
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:26 AM »
As the bright lights and haze clears, Ayu finds himself, as a kid, sitting before his father's desk.

His father, silent and stoic, sits and looks at Ayu, and is silent. He seems to be waiting for something.

Minutes pass and he asks again.

"You will be here, all this time, and guided strictly by me instructions. Do you understand?"
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Re: Eight Trigrams Sealing Spell Array - Ayu
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »
The haze of light cleared. Ayu was seated before a large wooden desk, the top of which came to just below his eyes while the tips of his toes managed to just barely brush the carpet beneath his seat. He brings his hands before his face, and notes how young they are. Somehow, the Gate had taken him back in time; whether it was a local effect, a global one, or just a clever illusion he couldn't tell. Removing his eyes from his hands, he looked up to meet the eyes of his father.

. . . his father? Ayu was too shocked by seeing a face he hadn't set eyes on in over a decade to comprehend his father's words when he said something. Ayu simply stared blankly back for minutes on end. With his gaze subtly shifting in what Ayu interpreted as annoyance, his father spoke again.

"You will be here, all this time, and guided strictly by me instructions. Do you understand?"

This time, the shock had worn off enough for Ayu to take in the message. He still wasn't sure what was going on, but he had learned better than to act without being aware of his situation. He bowed his head forward slightly, averting his gaze.

"I . . . yes, father. I understand."

Ayu waited tensely.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »
A tense moment continues for a few moments before that stoic face cracks and laughter erupts from his mouth.

"Ahahahaha!!! Why are you in a daze Ayu? I was just joking! Alright...hehehehe....ok....tell me, where do you want to go...the zoo or the carnival?"

The office...as Ayu takes a quick glance around, doesn't seem to belong particularly in any millitary base whatsoever. In fact...it looks like his father's study, the only room he's never allowed in.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
That's right . . . his dad would never have treated him so harshly. He'd been living under his Uncle for so long now that Ayu had forgotten adults could act in a way other than stone-cold seriousness. Spurred by this revelation, frayed memories came to mind of his childhood before the accident. A caring father and doting mother always there for him; every day his latest whimsy being entertained by a trip to the park or the arcade or the pool. Meals as a family, made by hand, filling the house with a delicious aroma. And hours upon hours on his father's lap watching television together. For a moment, Ayu allowed himself to reminisce freely.

More fragments of the past began to come back to Ayu, this time to his immediate surroundings. He recognized the intricate paneling on the desk in front of him, the ornate bronze-plated clock hanging on the west wall, the rows upon rows of books that he thought he could never finish, even if he spent his entire life reading. Or . . . was he remembering? He couldn't remember actually setting foot in his father's study before, so how could he remember these things? Ayu chalked the unsettling feeling up to memories long forgotten or repressed suddenly brought to the forefront of his mind somehow. He was so young, back then. He didn't have time to dwell on them, or this fantasy, anyways. He had to find a way out; a way back to the rest of the group.

Perhaps if I play to character, this charade will end sooner. Or at least let me know what's going on, Ayu thought to himself. He forced a smile, and looked up to meet his father's gaze.
"The carnival. We went to the zoo last week!"

I'd make a terrible actor, Ayu remarked in his head.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:08:44 AM »
"Oh? Alright then! I'll prepare the car." replies Ayu's father as he moves to the garage to start the car.

In moments later, Mom, Dad and Son were on a trip to the carnival. The long car ride filled with familiar sights and sounds, the candy store that Ayu used to go, the road leading genuinely to the carnival with its tall spires and beautifully colored tents and buildings.

Gradually, a familiar fog of childhood settles upon Ayu as genuine happiness and contentment creeps steadily into him. This is what he had missed.

"Where in the carnival would you like to visit first?" Ayu's dad asked.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
Ayu watched out the window of the sedan. "We don't need all that much car for just the three of us! Ayu's father had exclaimed when his mother had expressed her interest in a larger SUV. That was his father to a t -- nothing in excess, except when it came to Ayu. Nothing was ever enough when it came to him. Unlike his Uncle, to whom "nothing" was literally supposed to be enough despite all the money he was rolling around in. The skinflint.

"We'll see when we get there," Ayu absentmindedly replied to his father's question.

As nice as the scenario was, however, Ayu couldn't help but shake the feeling that something was wrong. Since he had gotten in the car he couldn't shake an ominous doubt in the back of his head; a foreboding fog that prevented him from sinking fully into the play which he was now an actor in. Maybe, he though to himself, there's some part of this world that is undeniably fake. I just have to find it. And if I can't . . . well, I'm sure I can stay a while longer until I do . . .
Ayu looked pointedly around him, taking note of as many things as he could. The drab interior of the car, the sprawling trees, the endless sky above, his loving parents sitting a couple feet in front of him. When his eyes fell upon them, they couldn't bear to move on rather than savor every moment they could.

[spoiler]Notice to find inconsistencies in the world: 1d20+12=21[/spoiler]
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39:36 AM »
One thing that might be an anomaly would be a bright star, in the middle of the day, in the sky where Ayu swept his glance about, and that star got bigger and bigger.

Until it was about the size of a water tower like those afixed to the top of buildings as it smashes down right on the carnival. Had Ayu not been daydreaming and replied to his father immediately, perhaps...

But there was no time to indulge in hindsight. The shockwave of the smash landing created a tsunami of dirt, rocks, concrete and tarmac as the car is flung backwards violently, sending the child Ayu tumbling about in the vehicle as the roar of the explosion carries with it another type of roar...something...alive...

Had Ayu been a child...he would not have remembered seeing that star nor distinguish the two types of roaring sound. But with a mind older than the body...this is the...accident that took his parents' lives!

----------------------------

Waking up after an unknown period of time, Ayu's bruised face could not afford him the luxury of opening his eyes fully. With blurred vision he feels himself pulled out of the vehicle by the warm familiar hands of his mother. Did this really happen? Didn't I wake up at the hospital in base and given the bad news personally by his Uncle? Ayu couldn't tell, but the long-haired face that dragged him out was undeniably his mother.

"Ayu! Ayu! Wake up!" begged the lady as she whips out a handgun that seemed to be at home in a sci-fi movie. As he turns his head, he finds his father pulling out a small...silver (!) briefcase from the boot and opens it up. But another shockwave unbalances the man and the box falls onto the broken ground with a thud and its contents spilled out.

The pins...its the pins that the older Ayu would wear... what the fuck?

"Anata! Ayu is unconscious!" shouts Ayu's mother as she raises her handgun and fires. Brilliant blue light issues almost soundlessly instead of bullets.

"This...this is impossible!" replies Ayu's father, staring at the giant beast that emerges from the carnival wreckage. A towering being wreathed in flames, yet Ayu's blurry vision could make out no more.

"We must get Ayu to safety, this is too much for the both of us to handle!" turns his father towards his loving wife, a face of panic and concern with eyes darting towards Ayu's position. "We cannot run from this beast either. Contact Toriya...just in case..." his father's voice lowers, almost breaking, as if he knows what will be going on later.

"Must we go my love? Ayu...Ayu would lose us both..." Ayu's mother responds, while the question has the right tone, the posture seems to indicate something else.

"You know that I love Ayu as much as you. As parents, sacrifices were always made. I am willing to lay down my life so that Ayu can live on. The ultimate freedom a parent can give, is unconditional love"

Ayu's mother nods as tears stream down her face. Ayu tries to get up, to stop his parents from leaving him again, yet his body would not move. So this was what happened. It wasn't an accident. His parents chose to face a monster head on so that he could live, and remain free. Darkness closes in on Ayu again.

-----------------------------------

When Ayu wakes up, he finds his parents, both slightly burnt, lay down infront of him as the beast rampages around the city. The pins that his father wore lay scattered near his slightly burnt hand. His mother's handgun lay shattered around her.

Now that his head is cleared a little, he has a closer look now.

A voice enters his mind, the voice of the door spirit back at the Mountain.

"You have offered me your freedom of choice. I have taken the liberty then of showing you what you choose not to know. Freedom, has a price. And now you can choose. Will you remain unconscious or will you do something else."
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:54:48 AM »
Ayu's mind reeled at what he had just learned. At what he had just . . . remembered. The memories, flooding back.

He had lain there, barely conscious, until a half dozen men in uniforms had arrived. The uniforms had had an emblem emblazoned boldly on their shoulders -- the emblem of the United Nations SMED. They had passed over Ayu with barely a second thought. The men were more interested in "collecting" his parents' corpses and "pacifying" the beast, they had said in their cold monotone voices. Ayu blacked out again for a while, then woke up again to the men (some rather badly singed) overturning rubble with the beast no where in sight. They searched for minutes on end, looking for something. For the pins. Unfortunately, Ayu had taken the only memento of his parents that he had left.

Ayu's cheeks were moistened by tears of rage as he slowly levered himself up on his arm.

Search and Rescue had arrived soon after the accident, forcing the suits to withdraw. They took him to a hospital nearby -- Ayu couldn't remember which. It didn't really matter. What did matter was that when he woke up from the drugs they had pumped into him, the silver case was nowhere in sight. His childish mind couldn't understand where the case, which had been in his hands what felt like just minutes ago, had disappeared to. Soon, his Uncle Toriya took him away to his estate.

Ayu rose to his knees, and grimaced harshly as he wiped the tears on his sleeve.

He didn't know anyone. He didn't know anyplace. He didn't know anything anymore. Life was a boring whirl of suits and doctors. Therapists. Psychologists. They had "helped" him. They had forced his memories down. They. Made. Him. FORGET. And he LET THEM.

No more.

Ayu REMEMBERED.

Ayu stood up. His teeth still set on edge, he opened his eyes to stare off into the distance at nothing in particular.

(Cue Leitmotif song)
"No, spirit. I will not lay here and wallow in my own pity.

I sought to forget my past, and leave it behind. To refuse to acknowledge the pain I experienced. And they tried to help me do just that, with their head-doctors and therapists and treatments. Being young, I didn't know how to refuse. But considering how young I was then, perhaps that was for the best. I couldn't have done anything.

But I have power now. I have my father's pins. And because of what you showed me here, I have a target. I might not manage it after this mission, or after the next, or the next, but eventually . . . I will find that beast, and I will slay it with these pins on my shoulder.

So release me, spirit! Send me back so I may AVENGE MY PARENTS' DEATHS!"
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 02:07:56 AM »
The voice, even in its monotone and deadpan pitch, seems to manage to sound satisfied.

"The arrogance of one who hides behind a facade of cockiness and confidence barely hides a ruined interior with holes nothing can fill is just that. Now you know the cost of freedom."

The beast, as if spotting Ayu, roars in challenge.

Ayu's pins now glow on the floor at his feet, floating upwards and settling on him.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 02:32:08 AM »
Ayu swallowed hard. The voice was right. His attitude was a facade, like the visions of his memories the gate had recreated. But now that he had a purpose, that facade was justified. The thing that stood before him may not be real either, but it sure as hell would feel good to trash the thing.

"Bring it on you monster. For father . . . for mother . . . for myself . . . I will reduce you to nothing. So let's have some fun."

Ayu smiled expectantly.

[spoiler]Combat?[/spoiler]
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:34:51 AM »
The beast waits with drool going down from one corner of his jaw.

"A kid...you're not even good for a snack hahahaha...."

[spoiler]Go.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
In a split second, Ayu is flying towards the fiery beast. When he is mere feet away from his target, Ayu is suddenly surrounded by a bullet-shaped vortex of swirling energy. Upon contact a powerful explosion of air is formed which throws dirt and debris several feet upward; the cloud quickly clears to reveal on the other side of the beast, his back now turned as he fights to overcome the inertia of his attack.

[spoiler]Startin' off easy, feeling out my opponent.

4 from defense transferred into attack for the round, then Velocity Tackle to slam through the monster and wind up 20 ft away on the other side. Also, I'm assuming during the couple posts of posturing Ayu had time to swap Long Live the Floe out for Velocity Tackle. (It would be a standard action with a 50/50 shot at working). I'll roll and possibly redo the turn if you want me to.

-4 defense
+4 attack
Movement through monster (via phasing limited to creatures)
Trail AoE to attack anything in the spaces Ayu moves through (i.e., the monster)
Strike at +8 vs defense, DC 23 toughness on hit
Previous three powers (movement, AoE, Strike) are all effectively linked on the same Unreliable counter which is now at 4/5
Velocity Tackle: (1d20+8=25) vs defense

[[Status]]
Combo: 1(?)

Current Deck:
Yoshimitsu (3/5)
Healing Whale
Velocity Tackle (4/5)
Fresh Line (3/5)
Sexy Beam
Player Pin

Defense: 18
F/R/W/T: +7/+12/+10/+8
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:17:38 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32:41 AM »
The flaming beast stumbles and is surprised by the resistance offered by a child.

"You..." comes the growl as the beast raises his hands together and fire gathers into the space between the palms. Splitting the fire into multiple balls of fire, the beast roars and leaps into the air and fires all the fire back onto the ground, saturating the already ruined carnival with a blazing inferno.

While the heat is oppressive, Ayu seems to have avoided the worst.

[spoiler] no damage, your go[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »
"Really? Getting a little hot under the collar already? I'm just getting warmed up."

A different pin on Ayu's shoulder lights up. Radiant light gathers around his hands as he draws them back before suddenly slamming them together in front of him. A cascade of shimmering lights in pastel colors burst forth from Ayu's hands, like a salvo of bright missiles. They splay outwards, slow, change direction towards the beast, then fly into it at incredible speeds.

Ayu hoped that the extra focus he gave to aiming the burst of lights would allow his glowing salvo to strike his target.

[spoiler]Move 3 points from toughness DC to attack bonus.
Fire off a Sexy Beam blast at the monster.
Blast power, Autofire at +1 for every point attack exceeds defense to a maximum of +5 damage, Unreliable 5 use flaw (down to 4/5), fades 1pp of effectiveness (i.e., -2 damage), and takes a full round. No descriptors.
1d20+13=22 vs Defense
Toughness DC 22, +1 for every point defense is exceeded to maximum DC of 27

Status
[spoiler][[Status]]
Combo: 2(?)

Current Deck:
Yoshimitsu (3/5)
Healing Whale
Velocity Tackle (4/5)
Fresh Line (3/5)
Sexy Beam (4/5)
Player Pin

Defense: 22
F/R/W/T: +7/+12/+10/+8[/spoiler]
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 12:16:39 AM »
The fiery beast roars in pain as the bolts slam into its body, leaving gashes and huge dents through that thick carapace.

Yet he remains standing as some of the wounds begin to close as flames lick at it.

"Warm...? Needs to be hotter!"

The beast roars as every flame in this area explodes into a bonfire.

[spoiler]Reflex save DC 25[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:23 AM »
Ayu tries his best to dodge the incoming inferno, but slips on a piece of loose rubble. As he falls face-first, he is buffeted forcefully backwards by the onrush of heated air. Only a bit of heroic luck allows him to wind up tumbling over just enough to wind up on his feet again.

[spoiler]1d20+12=13 vs DC 25 Reflex save (natural 1  :()

I assume there's a toughness save to be made too, yes? Assuming one is required:
1d20+8=14 (And . . . let's hero point that. I don't believe I've used one yet, and I don't want this to end here.)
1d20+8=15 +10 for rolling under 10 on a hero point reroll produces final result of 25

Anything else before Ayu retaliates?[/spoiler]
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:20 AM »
[spoiler]You passed the toughness. Your go.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
Ayu felt an incredible power building up inside him. He showed it, too; a corona of light was slowly building in intensity around his person. Fueled by his righteous fury and the heat of battle, Ayu could feel the power reaching a crescendo. One more solid hit would send it boiling over, unleashing a righteous blaze of radiance on his foe.

Like against the mist dragon, a spear formed of pure energy forms in Ayu's hand as one of his pins glows with power. He starts a dash forward, but disappears after just one step to reappear a split-second later above the beast's head. He slams down hard, piercing its tough carapace. The spear he had formed, however, was long and thin: good for landing a hit, but likely to be shrugged off rather easily. Good thing that wasn't his intent.

Ayu stood mere feet from the flaming monstrosity before him, dwarfed by its massive stature. Even still, he cracked a sly, expectant smile as the halo of light surrounding him reached its brightest point yet.

[spoiler]Transfer 5 from toughness DC to attack. Aiming to top off the combo counter and unleash a light puck on the sucker.
Use Fresh Line. Standard action, teleport to adjacent to the target, Strike at +17 vs defense for DC 18 toughness, critical on 17. Unreliable flaw of the 5-use variety, down to 2/5 uses left.
1d20+17=32 vs Defense
DC 18 Toughness

Status
[spoiler][[Status]]
Combo: 6 (Combo Finisher Ready, Set Up, Go!)

Current Deck:
Yoshimitsu (3/5)
Healing Whale
Velocity Tackle (4/5)
Fresh Line (2/5)
Sexy Beam (4/5)
Player Pin

Defense: 22[/spoiler]
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:35 AM »
Ayu's momentum and aim is great, too great perhaps, as the spear of energy breaks in half as the boy soars over the shoulder of the beast, the flaming body radiating so much heat that had Ayu's momentum been less and he landed on the shoulder instead of sailing clear over, he might have had the exact effect of a steak on a perfectly hot grill.

The broken lance of energy stays on the beast's shoulder as the latter roars in pain. His tail swings in reflex and catches the little boy right across the torso, flinging him away from him, to the edge of the pit of fire that the beast had created.

Meanwhile more bruises begin to fade slightly as the inferno licks at them.

[spoiler]I rolled your toughness and you passed goddammit. Your go.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
[spoiler]Was Ayu actually thrown back/away from the beast, or just descriptively?[/spoiler]
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]