Author Topic: Advice on Recharge Magic / Archer Build  (Read 6189 times)

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Advice on Recharge Magic / Archer Build
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »

Alright so Ive posted about this character before but now that we have started the campain the DM has thrown some new stuff at us... mostly good stuff.

First lets go over his House Rules:

Pathfinder Rules: We are using all Pathfinder rules, classes, skills, feats, spells, items, ect unless there isnt an update at which point it defaults to 3.5.

Its a savage game so most of the classes have a savage flavour... No wizards, Savage Bards, Battle sorc, ect. The one exeption is a Paladin he allowed but he has a savage type of background... but anyways. Untill last game it was medium magic, low gold, ect. We have reached a mecha city and our gold and items are back on par with our lvl as of right now but who knows in the future.

So mostly spontanous caster classes, though we do have a druid. The only Metamagic's allows are a version of Sudden metamagic (3/day can use without an increased casting time).

And the coolest part: We are using the Recharge Magic mechanic. Now at first I wasnt too keen on the idea but after going over the rules and using it for a game or two now Im in love with it. Im playing a Battle Sorc/Abj Champion going Arcane Archer and the recharge magic is the best thing since Quickened, Twinned, Maximized Conjure Sliced Bread. But I will get to that later. On to my build...

One item to note. The requirements for Abj Champ where lowered to +4 BAB as of right now... the DM is mulling over it but because I screwed up and we have played 2 games he will more than likely take pitty on me and allow the mistake.

Current Character
[spoiler]

Arcane Archer

Class         Feats
(1) Ranger(1)       Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot (flaw), Rapid Shot(flaw) Farshot
(2) Battle Sorc(1)       
(3) Battle Sorc(2)      Combat casting
(4) Battle Sorc(3)      
(5) Battle Sorc(4)      Weapon Focus (Longbow)
(6) Abj Champ(1)      
(7) Abj Champ(2)       Manyshot

Human ( 2 Flaws)
Stats as rolled:

Str    16   
Dex   25   (18 + 2 Racial + 1 level + 4 Cats Grace)
Con   14   
Int   12   
Wis   14   
Cha   16   

AC: 28(32) = 10 + 6 (MageArmor) +6 (Shield) + 7 (Dex) + 4(Prot from bla)- 1 (Flaw)
Touch: 16(20)
Flat Footed: 22

Saves: Protection from Bla in ()

F   5(7)   
R   10(12)   
W   11(13)   

Init : +12 = 7(Dex) + 5(Nerveskitter)

BAB: +6

Attacks: +15 (+16 within 30 ft) = 6 (BAB) + 7 (Dex) + 1 (Weapon Focus) + 1 (Magic) (+1 (Point Blank))

+1 Splitting Composite Longbow (+3)

ATTACK   Point Blank in ()                                                           DAMAGE
Single Attack: Splitting
+15 /15(16/16)                                                                        1D10 + 4(5)

Full Attack: Manyshot, Rapid Shot, Splitting
+14/14/14/14/14/14/9/9 (+1 if within 30 ft)                                  1D10 + 4(5)

ITEMS OF NOTE

+1 Splitting Composite Longbow (+3 Str)
Runestaff
Quiver of Ehlonna
Broad Arrow X 200
Durable Arrows X 40
Truestrike Potion X 10
Cure Light Potion X 10

Runestaff
1st lvl spells
Ebon Eyes

2nd lvl spells
Glitterdust
Rope Trick
Darkness

3rd lvl spellsExtend and Persist became pretty much useless. Any Metamagic added to a spell doubles the Cool Down... wait so if Im a 6th lvl caster and I extend say Mage armor it goes from being a 6 hour buff with a 6 hour CD to a 12 hour buff and a 12 hour CD.... and I had to use a higher lvl spell slot.... hmmmm. Same goes for Persist. While it might have a nich most spells have a CD that is shorter then the duration after you reach 6th lvl. There are a few exeptions but most your buffs dont need either meta.

Some spells that are meh become the pwn with recharge magic. An example... I always thought that Invis was just an ok spell... I mean sure you can use it to sneak around but its one of those things you hesitate on using... or at least I do... that goes out the window with recharge. 5 minute CD with a 1min/caster lvl means your party doesnt ever see you.... ever .... untill you get into a fight. Fly... ok ok so its the pwn anyways... but with recharge! 1min/lvl and a 5 min CD means that at 5th lvl your fly all the time... did i mention your always invisible. Wraithstrike... its again situational and used when you need that one big attack to hit... with recharge... after you get 5th lvl spells you use it every round... who needs to persist it when you just use it whenever you want. Out of combat healing becomes a breaze. Detect thoughts ... all the time. The list just goes on and on.

Some spells really become limited. Teleport ... 4 hour recharge. ouch. Planar Binding 24 hours... double ouch. These are rare though. Most of the spells with large recharge timers are your divination spells that let you cheat at dnd.

[/spoiler]

Sources:
[spoiler]

Pathfinder rules: http://www.pathfindersrd.com/

Battle Sorc - UA
Abjurant Champion - Complet Mage
Arcane Archer - Pathfinder
Recharge Magic - UA
Runestaff - Magic item Comp
Flaws - UA
Spells - Players Handbook, Pathfinder, Spell Comp
Splitting enhancement- Champions of Ruin

[/spoiler]

Alright so here are some questions.

1. I have my feats pretty much nailed down for my current lvl but after that I got no clue what to take. Metamagic is almost a waste at this point between Recharge Magic and the House rule.

2. Are there easy ways to gain more swift actions in a round other than the Belt of Battle?

3. With recharge magic are there any spells anyone would suggest for my character. He is mainly going to be using spellcasting to augement his archer ability but anthing is open as of right now. I have access to pretty much all books with DM approval.

4. In general is there anything I can do to improve my build. Im pretty solid on the class breakdown. But other than that Im open to ideas. I have access to pretty much all books with DM approval.

Thanks for taking the time to review this post and thanks in advance for any advice.

*Updated AC... Thanks Matt_Mons for the heads up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:06:59 AM by Dragonamedrake »

Dragonamedrake

Re: Advice on Recharge Magic / Archer Build
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »
Nothing? No one has any advice?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:23:31 AM »
Is your DM also house-ruling that abjurant armor applies to mage armor? 

If you can use Dragon material, the targetteer fighter variant gives dex to damage with ranged weapons. 

The divine companion sorcerer variant from Complete Champion is great with recharge magic. 

Dragonamedrake

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
Is your DM also house-ruling that abjurant armor applies to mage armor? 

If you can use Dragon material, the targetteer fighter variant gives dex to damage with ranged weapons. 

The divine companion sorcerer variant from Complete Champion is great with recharge magic. 

No he didnt. I was dumb and didnt correctly read the school. I will update my AC and TY for the heads up.

I will need to take a look at both the Targetteer Fighter Variant. Originally I thought about a lvl of fighter instead of Ranger. Anyone got a # on the issue thats in?

Your right the Divine Companion is nice but Im not sure the DM would allow it with recharge magic... never hurts to ask though. On a side note I had looked at the Domain Access class feature and thought about getting Spell domain for Anyspell and Greater Anyspell but Im not sure how it all fits together or if Anyspell would even work for a Sorceror.

Anyspell

Ok so I dont have a spellbook but that can be obtained.
Its a 15 minute cast but it gives me any 2nd lvl spell in my 3rd lvl spell domain slot.
HOWEVER its cast at my cleric level which is zero and uses my Wisdom score for DC which is balls.
And I dont have a holy symbol but I suppose I could get one.

So if you ignore the Cleric and Wisdom part which was meant to help out the cleric casting the spell. If I used it woud I only gain the use of my Anyspell one time a day? Or with Recharge would that give me access to that spell pretty much the whole day as the spell slot recharges constantly. If its the second it would really add versatilty to my charactter as I could always keep a mage spell book handy and just spend 15 minutes to change out the spell when needed. But I am assuming that its not like that.

Dragonamedrake

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:07:08 PM »

I will need to take a look at both the Targetteer Fighter Variant. Originally I thought about a lvl of fighter instead of Ranger. Anyone got a # on the issue thats in?

I found it... DR310 p38. It looks stout. Vital Aim for dex to dmg and Arrow Swarm for 2 extra shots a round seems crazy good. Not sure if it would get approved but I can ask my DM and if so I might replace my Ranger lvl with this.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »
I gave the Recharge list in the SRD a short look,
after the Erudite Spell To Power variant came out.
And only because it was near some other stuff.

Anything that recharges within the time scope of normal combats,
is mega upgrading casters.

Anything that recharges outside of combat, is silly enough.
This gets above and beyond psi recharge set-ups, rather handily.
And that was considered really borkny.
Magic recharge is waayyy worse than psi recharge.

Your party wouldn't need frontliners anymore, with magic recharge.

Dragonamedrake

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:06:55 AM »
Right now our group has the following...

Paladin going straight paladin... It was improved in Pathfinder somewhat.

Druid who is swaping out to a Crusader... not sure why but he dislikes recharge... I told him he was silly.

Straight sorceror... she is a blaster. She spent most her money on wands of Evocation blasting spells... yeah

Rogue going straight rogue... again I tried to let him in on how brutal Wraithstrike was if he picked up some caster lvls but o well.

ANOTHER rogue type character.

So pretty much we got a bunch of melee with little to no BC or CC and a Paladin that can out of combat heal.

The party has had a TPK once before I joined and from what I know of the DM he doesnt mind killing players if they dont play smart. I plan to be very hard to kill and to have several O snap! spells to get out of dodge if needed.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:22 PM »
Druid doing it slightly wrong, is still OK.
Sorc doing it slightly wrong, is still almost OK.
Recharge easily should pick up the pieces.

Straight Rogue with recharge in the party, is good enough.
Paladin upgrade with recharge, doesn't change much, but personally I'd fine it enjoyable.

Too bad you get to be the secret power behind all their thrones (wink).