Author Topic: New martial discipline: Dancing Serpent  (Read 2341 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
New martial discipline: Dancing Serpent
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
So, another idea has fallen out of my head. While I see about getting the hole plugged, I'll try to write it down.

Basically the idea of this class is to take advantage of the properties of flexible weapons to attack in unpredictable ways. Variable Length Chain is also in effect.

Some of my inspiration:
Signum
Lyserg
Ivy
Zero Suit Samus

Needs filling out with levels, etc. but you can get a general idea.

Concepts
[spoiler]Strikes
Attack in a cone (length=reach)
Attack in a line (length=reach x2)
Attack in a burst centred on you (length=reach x2/3)
Attack multiple squares within reach
Crushing Coils: Constrict damage
Grapple a creature or object and pull it towards you

Boosts
Trip as swift action
Feint as swift action
Disarm as swift action
Gain improved grab
Double your reach, give up remaining AoOs
Triple your reach, give up remaining AoOs
Draw opponent struck by next attack 5ft towards you

Stances
Double reach on your turn, half reach outside your turn (round down)
Threaten with a whip
Give up AoOs to treat area as difficult terrain
Give up AoOs to add sonic damage to attacks

Counters
Shielding Coils: Gain shield bonus to AC, give up remaining AoOs.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:40:46 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: New martial discipline: Dancing Serpent
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
The associated weapons of Dancing Serpent are any weapons containing flexible components - whips, flails, even tail slaps. The associated skill is Use Rope.

Level 1
[spoiler]
Crushing Coils
Dancing Serpent (Strike)
Level: 1
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: One creature

The coils of your weapon tighten around your opponent.

As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack against an opponent you are grappling. This attack deals an extra +2d6 damage and ignores the penalty for attacking in a grapple. You may use this maneuver even if your weapon is not a light weapon.
[/spoiler]

Level 2
[spoiler]
Maze of Fangs
Dancing Serpent (Strike)
Level: 2
Prerequisite:
Range: Reach
Target: Cone
Saving throw: Reflex half

When you use this strike, you make a single melee attack. Each creature in the attacks area take damage equal to your normal melee damage, with a Reflex save for half damage (DC = 12 + your Dex modifier). You give up your attacks of opportunity for the rest of the round.
Nest of Fangs
Dancing Serpent (Strike)
Prerequisite:
Range: Reach x 2/3
Area: Burst centred on you

As maze of fangs, except as above
River of Fangs
Dancing Serpent (Strike)
Prerequisite:
Range: Reach x 2
Area: Line

As maze of fangs, except as above
[/spoiler]

Level 3
[spoiler]
Shielding Coils
Dancing Serpent (Counter)
Level: 3
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You

You gain a +4 shield bonus to AC againt one attack. In addition, you may choose to give up one or more attacks of opportunity for the round - for each one, the AC bonus increases by +1. You can initiate this maneuver after an opponent makes his attack roll, but you must do so before you know whether the attack was a success or failure.
[/spoiler]

Level 6
[spoiler]
Whirling Fang
Dancing Serpent (Stance) [Sonic]
Level: 6
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Duration: Stance

You spin your weapon with great speed, building up power.

While you are in this stance, every melee attack you make deals an extra 1d4 points of sonic damage.
[/spoiler]

Unsorted
Dancing Serpent Stance
Dancing Serpent (Stance)
Level: ?
Prerequisite:
Duration: Stance

While you are in this stance, your attacks affect your target's square rather than your target itself. Rather than making a normal attack roll, your opponent can make a Reflex save (DC = 10 + level of stance + your Dex modifier) for half damage.
Endless Coils
Dancing Serpent (Boost)
Prerequisite:
Duration: End of round

For 1 round, your reach is doubled but you cannot make attacks of opportunity.
?
Dancing Serpent (Strike)
Prerequisite:
Range: Melee attack
Target: Two creatures

As part of this maneuver, make a single melee attack roll at a -2 penalty against any two creatures within reach. You may not apply precision-based damage to this strike, but it otherwise deals full damage to both creatures.
?
Dancing Serpent (Counter)
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action

You may substitute the result of a Use Rope check for your AC against one attack.
?
Dancing Serpent (Boost)
Prerequisite:
Duration: End of round

For 1 round you may make Use Rope checks in place of grapple checks, as long as you use Dancing Serpent weapons to grapple.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:38:39 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
Whip Focus [General]
Prerequisites: Proficiency with whip
Benefit: When you attack with a whip or whip-dagger, you do not provoke an attack of opportunity and its damage is not negated by armour.
Special: This feat counts as Weapon Focus (whip) for the purposes of prerequisites. You may have both this feat and Weapon Focus (whip).

Serpent Fang [Tactical]
Prerequisites: Whip Focus, BAB +6, two Dancing Serpent maneuvers
Benefit: The Serpent Fang feat enables the use of two tactical options.
  • Lurking Cobra: To use this option, you must use a Dancing Serpent strike, then use a Dancing Serpent maneuver to give up your attacks of opportunity in the same round. You may still make attacks of opportunity against targets in squares which were affected by your strike, as long as you have not moved since then.
  • ???: ???
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:29:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »
For some reason it seems to me that Steel Serpent may be a better name for this.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

rydi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
I think polearms would also fit nicely into this discipline, and add a bit more flexibility to it.

Here's a couple of counters (names suck, change them):
[The Serpent's Coils]
Level: 3
Prereq: 1 Dancing Serpent Maneuvers
Action: Immediate
Range: Melee
Target: Single Creature
When you would be entitled to make an attack of opportunity, you may instead make a Trip attack against the opponent that triggered the attack of opportunity.  You cannot be tripped as a result of using this maneuver.

[The Serpent's Bite]
Level: 7
Prereq: 3 Dancing Serpent Maneuvers
Action: Immediate
Range: Melee
Target: Single Creature
When you would be entitled to make an attack of opportunity, you may instead make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus as an immediate action.  If this attack hits, you may make a free Trip attack against the opponent that triggered the attack of opportunity.  You cannot be tripped as a result of using this maneuver.

plaguewraith

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
on the GitP forums they have the chthonic serpent, a disciplined based around flexible weaponry like chains and whips.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
on the GitP forums they have the chthonic serpent, a disciplined based around flexible weaponry like chains and whips.
Interesting. Stole some names from Ivy I see. :p I'll have to incorporate rules on grappling with weapons into this at some point. As for having Use Rope as the associated skill... *steals*

I didn't want to boost AoO builds too much - they have plenty going for them already.

What do you think of the maneuvers I've put up so far? And would a swift-action trip be a Strike or a Boost? Also, coming up with so many snake-themed names is hard. :p
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:39:29 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
Hmm, a Counter would be good for the swift trip actually.
Get back to you after reading the maneuvers.

You need a finishing maneuver that references Jormungandr and another that references Ouroboros. :D
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
Counters are immediate actions.

You need a finishing maneuver that references Jormungandr and another that references Ouroboros. :D
:grave
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 08:41:33 PM »
How about something that keeps dealing recursive damage (with diminishing returns), kind of like Aura of Chaos, and call it Snake Bites Its Tail or something?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
So there was this one time when a demiplane was invaded by a group of Yuanti and we had to go in and take them out.

[spoiler]The adventure was called "Snakes on a Plane"[/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 01:26:32 AM »
Counters are immediate actions.
I meant make it a counter that trips.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]