Author Topic: Partial gestalt, potential problems?  (Read 2269 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
Partial gestalt, potential problems?
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
I was looking at the racial paragon classes, and I got to thinking about something I might like to ask our DM to try the next time we start a new game.  He'll probably be worried about possible gamebreakers, and I really don't want to introduce any of those either.  Figured checking in here with folks that know the rules inside and out first would be best.

What are the potential pitfalls of this house rule?

All characters' (excluding characters that don't advance by class) first 3 levels are gestalt levels.  One "side" of each gestalt level must be either the character's racial paragon class if any, or their favored class (player's choice, mix and match if you like).  Characters with ECL up to 3 + class level can gestalt with their racial HD and/or LA instead, if desired.  4th character level and onward are gained as normal characters, and gestalt rules against hybrid prestige classes do not apply.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Partial gestalt, potential problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
Immediate issues I see involve people playing races with a tier 1 favored class, and getting extra oomph out of it. Like Dual spellcasting progression without any loss.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
Something like elf wizard 3|archivist 3/mystic theurge X/dual casting foo rest... that could get ugly.   Though I think it'd just get ugly a little quicker, it's not like you can't do dual 9s pre-epic without gestalt.  Still, something to be aware of and consider carefully.

Any other major issues come to mind?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »
I'd be worried more about wizard//ardent/ur-priest/multi-casting foo classes, personally. I'm sure Kell has a way to trip that off easily enough somewhere in his notes. If I wasn't at work I'd work up a build to see how bad it got without going Blackhat.

Other issues would be Tier 1 on the gestault, and three free levels of whatever high bab/high hp class on the other side you wanted.

Or Cleric//Crusader/Ruby Knight Windicator cheese earlier, or with extra shenanigans thrown in. I think restricting it to Paragon classes or racial HD for monstrous creatures would work better, imo.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:28:48 PM by McPoyo »
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
Well, hell.  Perhaps there's a better way.  What I'm really looking for is a (relatively) simple way to do 3 things.

• Get the group some experience with gestalt without jumping into the deep end immediately.
  • Make characters a little tougher and more resourceful in the low levels.
  • Give characters' races more mechanical importance, without pigeonholing them or leaving out races that have no paragons.

I'm not sure if there's a single solution, but the way I was considering is starting to seem uncomfortably open to abuse.

EDIT: I did consider restricting it to just paragons or racial HD/LA, but that leaves critters like goblins out in the cold.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:36:47 PM by weenog »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
Well, hell.  Perhaps there's a better way.  What I'm really looking for is a (relatively) simple way to do 3 things.

• Get the group some experience with gestalt without jumping into the deep end immediately.
  • Make characters a little tougher and more resourceful in the low levels.
  • Give characters' races more mechanical importance, without pigeonholing them or leaving out races that have no paragons.

I'm not sure if there's a single solution, but the way I was considering is starting to seem uncomfortably open to abuse.
Handing out extra HP or the like, or magic items earlier than they would normally get them would help with number 2. As for number three, I don't know many races without a paragon level that wouldn't qualify for racial HD. That said, is there a particular race without a paragon class that they'd be looking at, or normally desire, to play?
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
Goblin is a likely one, I've always liked the race, plus the group got together initially over all being fans of the Goblins webcomic.  Warforged is another likely candidate for at least two of us.  The DM's also got some weird homebrew races with no associated paragons that we might like to try.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
Google it. There's a paragon for goblin and 'Forged, both. Homebrew, but they exist.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
Get the group some experience with gestalt without jumping into the deep end immediately.
For this, I'd just ask players not to multiclass - that's where most of the confusion comes from.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 05:33:28 AM »
I don't really see any pitfalls beyond the usual gestalt rules.  Sure it might help them qualify for some things early, but if you use the gestalt rules you cannot take a dual progression PrC any way (I would say that applies even if you are just gestalting the first 3 levels).  Also the cheesy examples given are just slower cheese in a normal game.  If the DM okays an Ur-chord build in a normal game, then is he is pretty much the same place with the minor gestalt  :banghead  :lol 

Also if someone wants to play something lacking HD and a paragon, then they must have a reason why they think it is better.  You can always modify a paragon to fit another race if necessary if they select something out of RP reasons.

Oh and if you are going goblin, why not go with a blue goblin.  Ha, they are funny and that will eat up a +1 LA for the other side. 

I would suggest bloodlines as another option, but that actually does get really scary if you set out to build a uber class feature stacking build.  Although I ran a game with a Free +2 LA or Major bloodline for all the PC's, and only one character took bloodlines.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »
Well I really can't see the harm in this if you are going only PHB races. It gives people an icentitive to be an elf.

How will you handle favoured class: Any though?

I really like this idea since it also gives people who want to do a LA or Racial HD race some opportunity to do so.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:07 AM »
DM doesn't like psionic stuff, so blue goblin is out, though I suppose a templated goblin could work.  Don't know about bloodlines, will ask.

Favored Class: Any (assuming favored class levels remain an option) would be levels of any class, assuming you met the requirements of course.  For something like a human where your favored class switches around to match your highest-leveled base class, the first 3 levels would all have to include levels of the character's highest-leveled base class on one "side", and the others could be whatever, as usual.  As an aside, are there any Favored Class: Any races that don't have their mutable favored class decided by which class is the highest level?

I don't think races with a mutable favored class like that would really miss the point of giving their race more mechanical importance by gestalting with whichever class happens to be their favored class.  Those races do tend to be known for their versatility and adaptability, after all, being capable of surprising you with damned near anything is kind of the point.  A paladin with sneak attack and evasion may be weird, but it'd be pretty human. ;)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
Not really a getalt; I've played in a game where we all started at 1st level, but we all got racial paragon levels for free. We gained all the hd and usual benefits, but for purposes of feats/PrCs/etc only what we gained from our class levels counted. Any paragon classes that progressed casting just added to caster level instead. Overall, we found this didn't change the game much except for some extra meatiness at early levels, and allowed the DM a lot more leeway when crafting low level encounters.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
DM doesn't like psionic stuff, so blue goblin is out, though I suppose a templated goblin could work.  Don't know about bloodlines, will ask.

Favored Class: Any (assuming favored class levels remain an option) would be levels of any class, assuming you met the requirements of course.  For something like a human where your favored class switches around to match your highest-leveled base class, the first 3 levels would all have to include levels of the character's highest-leveled base class on one "side", and the others could be whatever, as usual.  As an aside, are there any Favored Class: Any races that don't have their mutable favored class decided by which class is the highest level?

I don't think races with a mutable favored class like that would really miss the point of giving their race more mechanical importance by gestalting with whichever class happens to be their favored class.  Those races do tend to be known for their versatility and adaptability, after all, being capable of surprising you with damned near anything is kind of the point.  A paladin with sneak attack and evasion may be weird, but it'd be pretty human. ;)

A shame the blue goblin is out, one of my favorites for flavor (although I keep hearing Will Ferrell from old school in my head).

Favored class any should not be a problem.  You can still multiclass alot on the other side, which would keep your high class the favorite.  Also human paragon is pretty good.  You could take your primary caster level at level 1, and then switch out for two other levels while the paragon progresses the caster class (unless you are going Dread necromancer or something where you actually want the base class levels).  Also if you need more races, races of destiny has a number of PC's with the human subtype.

For a melee build, a half-dragon/half-dragon paragon would be pretty cool and not cost you the usual HD loss from LA. 

Like wise a drow (+2) or deep gnome (+3) could be pretty good.

Drow LA 1/ Drow Paragon
Cleric  1  / Drow Paragon
Drow LA 1/ Drow Paragon

Maybe something like that to prevent caster level loss.  The deep gnome would be funny, but they have horrible Cha for their bard casting, ha.

Also don't forget they made a kobold paragon, not that we need more kobold love.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a