Author Topic: Homebrewers? Beer Geeks?  (Read 7948 times)

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Homebrewers? Beer Geeks?
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:01:57 PM »
Just curious to see if there are any other beer aficionados (heh) on the forums here. I wouldn't call myself an avid homebrewer, but I've brewed 3 batches over the last 12 months. I would call myself an avid craft beer drinker though.

Am I alone?

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
Re: Homebrewers? Beer Geeks?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:32 AM »
I looked into it some years back.  A lot of my fraternity brothers dabbled in it but they all seemed to have a different take on it.  I bought some stuff to start, then found out I needed more stuff, and then kind of lost steam.  Most importantly, I lost a place to store the beer while brewing it...

Now that I have the space, I really don't drink all that much (Gen Con excepted) so I don't feel the need to get back into it (not that I was really "into it" before).  Someday, maybe.

Any good beer recipes to share?  Maybe you can rekindle the passion...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:34:37 AM »
I've never made nor drunk home brewed beer, but Alton Brown, that dude on Good Eats, made an episode about it. He mentioned different brewing types, such as ales, lagers and pilsners. However, his most important tip was cleanliness; non-preferred bugs (i.e. wild bacteria/yeast) can make the beer sour, or even a little dangerous.

Here is the link to the recipe for beer like the one he made on the show. Also, he recommended those bottles that have the metal frame holding a plastic top and rubber gasket. Kinda like these:

Now, I've never made that beer, but I trust his recipe pretty well; his show is fairly scientific and in-depth on each topic. Don't know what kinda beer you like though. Cheers and shit *clink*
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

lotofsnow

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not at the point of actually making my own recipes yet. The brewing I've done has been with kits from Nothern Brewer. I've made an American Pale Ale, a witbier, and a smoked porter which is currently waiting to be kegged.

I just bought a house, so no brewing until we get settled in. I'm looking forward to getting started back up again.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
I looked into it some years back.  A lot of my fraternity brothers dabbled in it but they all seemed to have a different take on it.  I bought some stuff to start, then found out I needed more stuff, and then kind of lost steam.  Most importantly, I lost a place to store the beer while brewing it...

Now that I have the space, I really don't drink all that much (Gen Con excepted) so I don't feel the need to get back into it (not that I was really "into it" before).  Someday, maybe.

Any good beer recipes to share?  Maybe you can rekindle the passion...

Peek at the lists of Drinks sites I posted in the Food Thread.  I think theres homebrewing stuff scattered through it.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:00:02 AM »
I like beer.  A lot.

And I hate going to places that aren't beer gardens where they say "Oh, we have a lot of beers".  Trust me, you don't.  When I ask you what you have, just freaking tell me.

lotofsnow

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »
I like beer.  A lot.

And I hate going to places that aren't beer gardens where they say "Oh, we have a lot of beers".  Trust me, you don't.  When I ask you what you have, just freaking tell me.

Ha! I know exactly what you mean. I went to a nicer restaurant recently. They are primarily a wine and cheese place, but I figured they must have something in the way of beer. So I asked the waiter about the selection.

"What beers do you have?"
"Oh, everything. What do you want?"
"What do you have?"
Sigh. "Bud, Blue, Blue light, Coors..."
"Thanks. I think I'll have the riesling."

Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to have some places nearby with very good selections. Can't say we have any beer gardens (well, not since the early 20th century), but a decent number of good beer bars.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:04:09 PM by lotofsnow »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:49:50 AM »
You know by astonishing coincidence I work in a beer/wine distribution center, and we occasionally get a discount. 

Too bad most of you arent in central Ohio.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
I like beer.  A lot.

I second this! All of it! It's so terribly annoying to go to a place and ask what do they have to offer and instead of just listing their 10 different brands or asking for a preference like "You want a lager or something else?" they say the exactly that, "Oh, we've got a lot of beers."

So I am very into beer and whiskey. Me and two of my friends actually have a little operation: We aim to taste each and every sort of tap beer in Finland. No idea how much we have to go, but it's a hobby just like anything else. Around two weeks ago I bought three bottles of beer costing 20.60 euros a piece (half a litre a bottle), which is around 32 US dollars. Only 111 of those in whole Finland.

Handy Links

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »
I've actually done it.  I was in Atlanta and they said "We have everything".  I said "Is that right?" and started naming as many smaller-name beers from the Northwest (where I currently reside) and the Northeast (where I have my roots) as I could.

I think I was on the 6th "No, we don't" before the waitress capitulated.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:23 AM »
Oh man, don't I love you! If I ever come around your neighbourhood (or GenCon some year) we can go annoy waitresses with our beer inquiries.

I am yet to do any beer myself, but I have done some wine and mead. Both actually were quite drinkable, even on our first attempts and considering the quality our equipment that is a small miracle right there.

Handy Links

lotofsnow

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:57 AM »
Haha... I'd hope, if you two met up, you'd go where good beer is abundant, not where it is scarce. While harassing waitresses seems fun, I don't imagine it's nearly as fun as drinking stout with a friend.  ;)

D&D night at my place is also tasty beer night. I actually think some people come more for the beer than the dice. Last session I picked up a 6-pack each of Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Southern Tier Phin & Mats Extraordinary Ale, and Saranac Imperial Stout. Not my first choice in each style, but they were readily available and relatively inexpensive. These beer price increases are killing me though.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
You're from Central NY?  I haven't had a Saranac since I left graduate school.

lotofsnow

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »
I'm in Buffalo, so Western NY.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
I'm in Buffalo, so Western NY.
Oh, lotsofsnow, I get it now.  Yeah, isn't the average annual snowfall in Buffalo like...36"?

lotofsnow

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:57 PM »
Heh, more like 50"-60".

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 03:29:38 AM »
Heh, more like 50"-60".

pfff this year quebec had 516cm of snow (156ish inches i think). THIS is a lot of snow :D

We also have great microbreweries over here and a lot of bars are starting to realize how bad Molson/Labatt are and start to sell real beers.

lotofsnow

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 03:49:21 AM »
Yeah, but that's like bragging about your colder average temperature when you live on the South Pole.

I really enjoy Unibroue from Quebec. I can't wait until Peche Mortel is available in the states (I've heard that it's coming in the next few years). I'd love to get my hands on some of that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:55:19 AM by lotofsnow »

yellowdingo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 12:14:02 AM »
Frankly anyone who isnt opposed to people who profit from the destruction of civilization deserves a kicking. Ban Beer Outlets. Want a Beer? Brew it yerself ya Prat!

Post Ferment Brandy

Get an Antibacterial Tupperware, and seal in it White Grapes on stem. Dust in fine white sugar. Sit it on the Dining table and Wait until they brandy to brown over a few weeks to a month at room temperature. Having brandied, they are going to give off the relevent brandy smell.

I dont press my brandied grapes for drink - I put the grapes on vinestem straight into a Damper bread mix and bake creating brandied Damper.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »
I'm a huge beer fan.  I want to go to Belgium because I've heard the beer is great.

My best beer experience was going to a place in San Fransisco that touted it had a good beer selection-- they had a book just like a wine list for beer, which excited me.  But I couldn't decide and so I went out on a limb and asked the waiter to make a recommendation based on the meal I ordered.

Huge success.  It paired perfectly.  It made the beer that much better.

I'd love to do a beer tasting.  I've done a wine tasting and a coffee tasting, but never a formal beer tasting. 

I would love to try brewing my own.  I'd need a house that could work for that though, but it's on my list. 

So those of us who are going to GenCon- going out for a beer is definitely on the list, yeah?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!