Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115420 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »
Q171: Is there any way for a Duskblade to use his Arcane Channeling ability on ranged attacks? Feats, ACFs, Class Variants etc.?

Q172: What ways are there to channel a (damaging) spell through a ranged attack that are available at lower levels? (the lower, the better, obviously)

And thanks again :)
~Bowen

There is that prestige class in Tome of Battle that allows you to treat ranged attacks as melee attacks.
Actually, it's make melee attacks into ranged attacks that still count as melee attacks.
Ok... thanks for the greater level of detail but ultimately it still works the same way :P
Not with a ranged weapon, unfortunately.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #581 on: July 21, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
Q160  Is there a compiled list of ways for a melee character to gain miss chance, preferably through gear?  The only thing I could find is How to shove it to beatsticks but that focuses on spellcasting fairly exculsively.

Bumping since it fell three pages since last night.

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #582 on: July 21, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Q 173: Are there more classes that give a template at the end of a prc other than the ones I'm listing below? (Note: Haven't checked Eberron yet)

Here's a list of what I know so far:
Dragon Disciple -SRD- Become a Half-Dragon
Walker in the Waste -Sandstorm- Become a Dry Lich
Shadow Sun Ninja -Tome of Battle- Gain Vampire Template that doesn't have the vulnerability to Sunlight! You become a NPC but many DM's will overlook that.
The Disciple of Ashardolon -Draconomicon- Gain Half-Fiend Template, must be a dragon first
Dragon Devotee -Races of the Dragon- Gain Draconic Template, can't have dragon template beforehand

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #583 on: July 21, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
Q 173: Are there more classes that give a template at the end of a prc other than the ones I'm listing below? (Note: Haven't checked Eberron yet)

Shadow Sun Ninja -Tome of Battle- Gain Vampire Template that doesn't have the vulnerability to Sunlight! You become a NPC but many DM's will overlook that.
The Disciple of Ashardolon -Draconomicon- Gain Half-Fiend Template, must be a dragon first
Dragon Devotee -Races of the Dragon- Gain Draconic Template, can't have dragon template beforehand

Well, there's the template classes on the WotC website.
Other than that I got nothing, sorry.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #584 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »
Q171: Is there any way for a Duskblade to use his Arcane Channeling ability on ranged attacks? Feats, ACFs, Class Variants etc.?

Q172: What ways are there to channel a (damaging) spell through a ranged attack that are available at lower levels? (the lower, the better, obviously)

~Bowen

There is that prestige class in Tome of Battle that allows you to treat ranged attacks as melee attacks.
Actually, it's make melee attacks into ranged attacks that still count as melee attacks.
Ok... thanks for the greater level of detail but ultimately it still works the same way :P

*throws a crossbow at BowenSilverclaw*
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #585 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »

~Bowen

*throws a crossbow at BowenSilverclaw*
Proper use of the class :)
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #586 on: July 21, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »

Link to those template classes?

I only know the base class dread necromancer which turns you into a lich.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #587 on: July 21, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »

Not according to CustServ *eyeroll*
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #588 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »

So it really doesn't turn you into one?

Q 174 This was asked by someone else, but I didn't see an answer, and I'm curious about if it's true or not. Does Mage Slayer and Practiced Spellcaster cancel each other out with regards to the -4 penalty/+4 modifier?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #589 on: July 21, 2010, 02:54:54 PM »
A174 sure, why wouldn't they?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #590 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

So it really doesn't turn you into one?

Q 174 This was asked by someone else, but I didn't see an answer, and I'm curious about if it's true or not. Does Mage Slayer and Practiced Spellcaster cancel each other out with regards to the -4 penalty/+4 modifier?

I think the FAQ provides an example related to Wild Mage, and then goes on to state that Practiced always adds the +4 modifier in the most beneficial way to the PC. Thus, if your DM buys into FAQ answers, then yes.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #591 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
Never know. Could be a taboo thing or something like that.

Q 175 What PrCs are there that increase both arcane spellcasting and sneak attack, other than Arcane Trickster? The "trickster" variant of the Spellthief, which gives you spells as a bard, removes your trapfinding, sneak attack damage, 2 skill points, and a lot of skills. Wanting to put that back up to a decent number.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #592 on: July 21, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »

Q 175 What PrCs are there that increase both arcane spellcasting and sneak attack, other than Arcane Trickster? The "trickster" variant of the Spellthief, which gives you spells as a bard, removes your trapfinding, sneak attack damage, 2 skill points, and a lot of skills. Wanting to put that back up to a decent number.
Unseen Seer (Complete Mage IIRC), great way to add Hunter's Eye to your list as well (PHB2, Ranger lvl. 2 spell, grants 1d6 SA/3 caster levels) :)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #593 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »

Unseen Seer (Complete Mage IIRC), great way to add Hunter's Eye to your list as well (PHB2, Ranger lvl. 2 spell, grants 1d6 SA/3 caster levels) :)
Sadly it's only 1 round though. I guess that'd be all you need though.
And yes, it's in Comp Mage. :)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #594 on: July 21, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »

PERSISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #595 on: July 21, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »

PERSISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
Beat me to it :)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #596 on: July 21, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »
Q168: Is there a way to Hide after shooting someone ('sniping') as a Swift action?
Or Hiding as a Swift action at all, for that matter?

There is the sniping section on the SRD, which seems to require no action at all... does limit you to one shot a round though.
There was a feat that either negated that penalty or reduced it considerably. I can only find Able Sniper at the moment which just decreases it to -16.
I seem to remember one that grants -10...

Q169: Aside from Hustle and Lesser Celerity, are there any other low level (say, around level 4-5) ways to get an extra move action.
Note: Move action, not movement, so Travel Devotion isn't an option.

Thanks again,
~Bowen
Bamp for new page

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: July 21, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »

PERSISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
Um, that's a +6 adjustment. Maybe if you're epic level and can get those higher spell slots with feats, or have that kind of space with a full caster, but that doesn't really work for casters that only have 4th level slots.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #598 on: July 21, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »
PERSISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
Beat me to it :)[/quote]
Um, that's a +6 adjustment. Maybe if you're epic level and can get those higher spell slots with feats, or have that kind of space with a full caster, but that doesn't really work for casters that only have 4th level slots.
[/quote]
Nobody persists without some kind of slot mitigation.  That would be pointless.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #599 on: July 21, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »

PERSISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
Incantatrix 3 or Spelldancer 1, paired with Item Familiar (Incantatrix) should be easy enough to fit in. Especially if you consider the huge benefit.