Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115402 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #540 on: July 21, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
Q 162 Is there a druid variant that lets you summon only vermin (of any size, and/or monstrous)? You know, so you can cease and take power with a legion of ssspiders? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgkk4omTbxY
Maybe one of the Eberron Druid sect feats will do this.  Children of Winter, I think?  There's also a vermin-themed druid PrC from Underdark.  It lets you wildshape into vermin, but might let you summon them too.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #541 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »
Druids can summon vermin anyway, several of the summon natures ally spells have vermin on their list. Also summon Swarm.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonswarm.htm

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: July 21, 2010, 02:53:43 AM »
Q 162 Is there a druid variant that lets you summon only vermin (of any size, and/or monstrous)? You know, so you can cease and take power with a legion of ssspiders? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgkk4omTbxY
Maybe one of the Eberron Druid sect feats will do this.  Children of Winter, I think?  There's also a vermin-themed druid PrC from Underdark.  It lets you wildshape into vermin, but might let you summon them too.
Child of Winter lets you use Summon Nature's Ally to make vermin, and Vermin Shape. Ashbound and Swarm's Embrace wouldn't be bad either.

Druids can summon vermin anyway, several of the summon natures ally spells have vermin on their list. Also summon Swarm.

Do they? I only see animals, dinosaurs, sprites, and a few other things. No vermin though. Child of Winter basically allows you to cast Summon Swarm instead of Nature's Ally.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #543 on: July 21, 2010, 03:02:57 AM »
Cityscape has swarm wildshape, which is kinda sorta related.
Are you sure because I just went through it and can't find it.

It's in the web enhancement

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #544 on: July 21, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »
Child of Winter lets you use Summon Nature's Ally to make vermin, and Vermin Shape. Ashbound and Swarm's Embrace wouldn't be bad either.

Do they? I only see animals, dinosaurs, sprites, and a few other things. No vermin though. Child of Winter basically allows you to cast Summon Swarm instead of Nature's Ally.
Could have sworn i saw Giant Scorpions on there... must have been summon monster

In any case, insect related druid spells from the SRD

Sumon Swarm
Giant Vermin
Insect Plague
Creeping Doom

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:48 AM »
Cityscape has swarm wildshape, which is kinda sorta related.
Are you sure because I just went through it and can't find it.

It's in the web enhancement
Ah, City Shape. I see it. Yeah, not in the book.  :rollseyes Sometimes you have to wish that they would put everything in the book.

In any case, insect related druid spells from the SRD

Sumon Swarm
Giant Vermin
Insect Plague
Creeping Doom
The first two are good, but the second two don't work for me. Looking for ssspiders.  :smirk

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #546 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:29 AM »
Q 163 Is there a way for a druid to not get their animal companion, but still keep their wildshape ability?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #547 on: July 21, 2010, 03:46:45 AM »
Q 163 Is there a way for a druid to not get their animal companion, but still keep their wildshape ability?
A163
IIRC, Savage Druid, UA.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: July 21, 2010, 04:02:52 AM »
A163
IIRC, Savage Druid, UA.
There is no Savage Druid, only the Savage Bard. There's a Druidic Avenger, but you lose your spontaneous spellcasting to go up as a barbarian, and have a -4 penalty to Wild Empathy, and -8 against Magical Beasts. That still kind works though because there's a feat, Spontaneous Summoner, although you can only use it WIS modifier times per day.

If there's a better one to switch out just the animal companion, that'd be great.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #549 on: July 21, 2010, 04:30:38 AM »
A163
IIRC, Savage Druid, UA.
(...) There's a Druidic Avenger, (...)

If there's a better one to switch out just the animal companion, that'd be great.
That's the one I meant.  :blush

I have searched long and hard for this very thing for well over a year -- no dice. :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2010, 04:33:01 AM »
A163
IIRC, Savage Druid, UA.
(...) There's a Druidic Avenger, (...)

That's the one I meant.  :blush

I have searched long and hard for this very thing for well over a year -- no dice. :shrug
I know in Pathfinder you can either take an animal companion, or take one domain (and get an animal companion as per the ranger if you take that Animal domain). That same ability is in UA, but it's a house rule. Same domains though. I may have to go that route if nothing better comes along.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: July 21, 2010, 05:07:34 AM »
Q164: Assuming they were viable as a player race (livewood tree/quaterstaff?) what do you think the LA on a Dryad would be? +2/+3?

[spoiler]4 hd
Fey Type
Dex +8, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +8
3 natural armour
DR 5/Cold iron
Several SLAs of 4th level and lower.
[/spoiler]
For making a Monster Class with.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:12:21 AM by Littha »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
Q164: Assuming they were viable as a player race (livewood tree/quaterstaff?) what do you think the LA on a Dryad would be? +2/+3?

[spoiler]4 hd
Fey Type
3 natural armour
DR 5/Cold iron
[/spoiler]
Probably about the same as the one in Eberron which was +6. You've got 4 HD for an automatic 4, and then two levels of playing around. Somehow I don't think they get that much of an ability stat bonus though. Not when you're looking at NPC stats of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 or even 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8. If they're the former, I'd say Dex +4, Con -2, Int +2, Wis +6, Cha +4.

Their DR probably starts off as DR 2/cold iron and then becomes 5 after their 4th HD.

Don't forget that they're tree dependent.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: July 21, 2010, 05:46:03 AM »

[spoiler]4 hd
Fey Type
3 natural armour
DR 5/Cold iron
[/spoiler]
Probably about the same as the one in Eberron which was +6. You've got 4 HD for an automatic 4, and then two levels of playing around. Somehow I don't think they get that much of an ability stat bonus though. Not when you're looking at NPC stats of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 or even 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8. If they're the former, I'd say Dex +4, Con -2, Int +2, Wis +6, Cha +4.

Their DR probably starts off as DR 2/cold iron and then becomes 5 after their 4th HD.

NPCs from the monster manual use the stats 10 10 10 11 11 11 unless otherwise noted.

Also Livewood means they can take their tree with them as it can be cut down and turned into items without dying.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #554 on: July 21, 2010, 05:47:18 AM »

[spoiler]4 hd
Fey Type
3 natural armour
DR 5/Cold iron
[/spoiler]

NPCs from the monster manual use the stats 10 10 10 11 11 11 unless otherwise noted.

Also Livewood means they can take their tree with them as it can be cut down and turned into items without dying.
The second set of stats I got were from the lycanthrope templates.

BoB - Lord of Evil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #555 on: July 21, 2010, 06:39:28 AM »

[spoiler]4 hd
Fey Type
3 natural armour
DR 5/Cold iron
[/spoiler]

I had a friend adventure around with a Dryad character, DM assigned a +2LA and seemed to fit in powerwise to rest of party. They had craft bonzai tree to carry it around...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2010, 06:41:56 AM »

[spoiler]4 hd
Fey Type
3 natural armour
DR 5/Cold iron
[/spoiler]

The second set of stats I got were from the lycanthrope templates.
Hence "unless otherwise noted". Dryads don't have their stats noted and are thus 10 10 10 11 11 11

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: July 21, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
Q165: Where is the Entangling Exhalation feat? Is it still just as awesome at level 16 as at level 1?

Q166: Is the Draconic Template worth +1LA with no buy-off?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #558 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
Q165: Where is the Entangling Exhalation feat? Is it still just as awesome at level 16 as at level 1?
Races of the Dragon. Obviously, no it isn't, since Entangled is a much more potent debuff at level 1, but it's still a no strings attached, no save debuff that always applies unless your enemy outright negates your breathw eapon.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #559 on: July 21, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
A165: I'll disagree with Agita.  If your speed allows you to outmaneuver your opponent, this debuff can be good no matter what the level.  1/2 movement, cannot run or charge is not too shabby.  Toss in Slow Breath and your opponent is down to 1/4 movement.  It depends on the encounter... against ranged attackers, this isn't that big of a deal, but I can cripple a melee opponent.

The -2 to their attacks, and the -4 to dex to lower his AC (for ally's attacks) and Reflex saves (for subsequent breath attacks) doesn't have as much impact at higher levels.

A166: If your campaign allow for Dark Creature, Feral, Half-Minotaur, Mineral Warrior... then no.  Draconic Template is rather *meh* IMHO.  It's ok, but only mediocre compared to others.  YMMV, but I wouldn't consider it without LA buyoff.