Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115422 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #380 on: July 16, 2010, 06:01:47 PM »
Q 108 I'll reiterate my question with a number. For that Drow 1 spell, Cloak of Dark Power, if you were to make that into an item, what slot(s)/item(s) would that go under? Cloak? Robe? Goggles? Mask? Shoulders? Torso? Face?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: July 16, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
Q 108 I'll reiterate my question with a number. For that Drow 1 spell, Cloak of Dark Power, if you were to make that into an item, what slot(s)/item(s) would that go under? Cloak? Robe? Goggles? Mask? Shoulders? Torso? Face?

I would say cloak just to be thematic but I am not sure if there is a slot for that kind of item.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »

I would say cloak just to be thematic but I am not sure if there is a slot for that kind of item.
Cloaks are usually shoulders.

Follow up though... 108b When making an item out of a spell, how do you know what item it should be made into, and what slot it should take, if it's not blatantly apparent?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #383 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »

Follow up though... 108b When making an item out of a spell, how do you know what item it should be made into, and what slot it should take, if it's not blatantly apparent?
A 108

You don't. There's a reason they're only guidelines.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #384 on: July 16, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »

A 108

See where other stuff using similar spells is/does.  Cloak of dark power should obviously be a cloak.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
To clarify I didn't mean I don't know what slot a cloak goes in, rather I don't know what slot an item of protection like that would occupy

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »

A 108

See where other stuff using similar spells is/does.  Cloak of dark power should obviously be a cloak.
For thematics. But what about Divine Power, or Major Image, or Virtue? Just guess, or think about what you feel best fit?

@ Littha -- I've seen them as rings, scarves, and cloaks.

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Q109:

Is there a way to make a fourth level Cleric Spell with a casting time of 1 minute take a standard action or less to cast? Spell/item etc, as opposed to a Class ability?
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
I think the DMG and/or the MIC has guidelines for what sorts of effects generally go in what sorts of slots.  Probably in the same area as where the rules regarding changing the slot of a particular kind of item (or making it slotless - since there are cost differences for doing that).  I seem to recall that the idea was to tie the concept of the enchantment to the slot.  Sensory buffs go on face slot items, int buff on a head band, strength on gloves or belt, stuff like that.  Unfortunately, I don't remember precisely where that stuff is, and I'm AFB at the moment.

E.G. Divine power, as an attack type buff (IIRC), might work well as a gauntlet enchantment.  (I totally pulled that out of thin air, I have no idea how accurate it would be per the text I'm thinking of)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
I'd say divine power probably goes in the same category as True Strike: Not for item use.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #390 on: July 16, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
Q109:Is there a way to make a fourth level Cleric Spell with a casting time of 1 minute take a standard action or less to cast? Spell/item etc, as opposed to a Class ability?

Rapid spell (Complete Divine) allows a spell with a casting time measured in rounds to be cast in 1 round and a spell with a casting time measured in minutes to be cast in 1 minute.  You might be able to convince a DM that this should knock a spell with a casting time of 1 minute down to 1 round. 

Rapid spell also allows a spell with a casting time of 1 round be cast as a standard action.  I don't think you can normally apply the same metamagic feat to a spell twice, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. 

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #391 on: July 16, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
I'd say divine power probably goes in the same category as True Strike: Not for item use.
Well there is the toned-down version that goes on the weapon itself, iow Skillful.

One of these days I gotta get around to playing a war hulk with a skillful transmutation wrathful healing falchion.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #392 on: July 16, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »
a skillful transmutation wrathful healing falchion.
What's Transmutation?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #393 on: July 16, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
a skillful transmutation wrathful healing falchion.
What's Transmutation?

I might have got the name wrong, it's been a long time since I looked at the thing.  Weapon of transmutation was in minis hb, it was a longsword that, one round after striking a creature with DR, became able to beat that DR for the next 10 rounds while retaining its original properties.  (You could get through a lich's DR with an edged weapon, for example, or beat a werething's DR with an adamantine weapon.)  Working backwards on price it was either a +2 or +3 enhancement equivalent. Wrong, I must be thinking of wrathful healing.  Working backwards on price it's a +4 equivalent.  50,315 for the +1 longsword version.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:38:40 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Nameless Void

« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:13 PM »
Q109:Is there a way to make a fourth level Cleric Spell with a casting time of 1 minute take a standard action or less to cast? Spell/item etc, as opposed to a Class ability?

Rapid spell (Complete Divine) allows a spell with a casting time measured in rounds to be cast in 1 round and a spell with a casting time measured in minutes to be cast in 1 minute.  You might be able to convince a DM that this should knock a spell with a casting time of 1 minute down to 1 round. 

Rapid spell also allows a spell with a casting time of 1 round be cast as a standard action.  I don't think you can normally apply the same metamagic feat to a spell twice, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Thank you  :)

Q110:

Apart from becoming an abomination (who seem to get it as a common ability), is there a way to summon a Nightstalker? Summon Undead spell does not go to a high enough level.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:38:16 PM by Nameless Void »
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: July 16, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
Q111  I need to equip an awakened Conflagration Ooze, I'm trying to figure out how to do so without the equipment dissolving.  Ideas?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: July 16, 2010, 08:44:13 PM »
But True Strike is used. Just not quite the same. It usually changes into some other form of attack bonus, or you use charges of it. Divine Power seems alright. I know that we gave it to one player who had terrible BAB, and he's rocking now with it. It's not cheap to use though.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #397 on: July 16, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
Q112: What are the specifically 3.5 ways of improving critical threat range that stack with Keen OR Improved Crit?

Nameless Void

« Reply #398 on: July 16, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
A112:

Mythic Exemplar (Complete Champion) Class feature, though only for a certain length of time per day.

Disciple of Dispater (Book of Vile Darkness) though this might be 3.0?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #399 on: July 16, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
Disciple of Dispater (Book of Vile Darkness) though this might be 3.0?
It is. I'm pretty sure that's what he was thinking about when he said 3.5.

Does Kaorti Resin stack with Imp Crit?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation