Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115418 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
Q1
What's a singing tesla coil?

A1
See here!  It's also called a Zeusaphone.

Q2
Let's assume I take a minor bloodline.  As a human I go Psion9/Warblade1/Swordsage1/Bloodline1/Psion+1.  What's the highest level power I can know and manifest at ECL13?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »
What is this?! 21 posts early?!

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »
A1: The singing Tesla coil is a variation of a solid state Tesla coil, that has been modified to produce musical tones by modulating its spark output.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »
q3What is this?! 21 posts early?!
A3Endarire REALLY wanted to get the next topic's title. Which is a shame, because I was going to do it otherwise and make everyone lose the game.

Also, ftfy.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »
Q253 Q4 Does anyone know a decent way to give a preexisting building (ideally a castle) a slam attack or the like (preferably independently enduring rather than temporarily generated via a spell)?
*Porting.*  I'm looking for a way to make a moving castle that punches other moving castles.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:02:13 PM »
A 2 The highest you can take is that of a 10th level Psion; 5th. All the bloodlines do for you is give you an equivalent level of Practiced Spellcaster/Practiced Manifestor (to get past SR/PR), but for melee characters too. So if you're a Psion10/Warblade1/Swordsage1/Bloodline1, you count as Psion11/Warblade2/Swordsage2, but you don't get access to anything new. Well, maybe the Swordsage would if they had taken the unarmed progression, but that's about it (and the DM might argue that). And the Warblade would now count as Fighter 0 instead of Fighter -1 (since they count as Fighter -2 for access to feats). It's arguable for Initiator levels too.

Q 5 This was brought up by one of my players who wants to go see the movie this Friday, and we know it's been done with other systems before (not including d20 Modern), but has anyone ever tried to build a Predator before?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:04:04 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »
Q 5 This was brought up by one of my players who wants to go see the movie this Friday, and we know it's been done with other systems before (not including d20 Modern), but has anyone ever tried to build a Predator before?

Not me, but I was recently thinking about trying it after hearing Psionic Shot can be used to make Entangling Ectoplasm do damage...
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »

Not me, but I was recently thinking about trying it after hearing Psionic Shot can be used to make Entangling Ectoplasm do damage...
lol Really? Well that's an interesting thought.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »
Isn't a lot of damage, granted, but any damage makes for a potential delivery system for sneak attack, skirmish and the like, which could pretty easily lead to a launched net that cuts the captive into small cubes.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »

A 5: here's a decent homebrew for d20 Modern for Predator stuff.  They guy also has an Aliens pdf that's really good.

http://michael.tresca.net/

Click on "freebies" on the left-hand side.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
You'd have to Wayback it, but there was a thread on 339 involving stating out a predator that was really damned nasty, and pretty accurate.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »

A 5: here's a decent homebrew for d20 Modern for Predator stuff.  They guy also has an Aliens pdf that's really good.

http://michael.tresca.net/

Click on "freebies" on the left-hand side.
I love how it reads as "Medium-size" when they're 7-9 feet tall. That should probably read as a half-giant with them being medium-sized, but having a broad build, and counting as large. Their ECL is 5, but I guess in d20 Modern they don't have LAs? My guess though is 2 HD and LA +3.

SanjiWatsuki

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
Q6: Can you power attack a Dread Necromancer Charnel Touch?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
Q6: Can you power attack a Dread Necromancer Charnel Touch?
No, because you can't target a special ability with an attack. :P

Assuming you mean Power Attacking with Charnel Touch, then most likely no anyway, as it's not a weapon.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
Q253 Q4 Does anyone know a decent way to give a preexisting building (ideally a castle) a slam attack or the like (preferably independently enduring rather than temporarily generated via a spell)?
*Porting.*  I'm looking for a way to make a moving castle that punches other moving castles.

Animate Objects + Permanency. A castle would be a Colossal-sized object, so you'd need a minimum CL of 32. Without methods of increasing your CL to epic levels, your best bet is to break the castle down into smaller pieces, then direct the pieces to work together, a-la Voltron.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
You'd have to Wayback it, but there was a thread on 339 involving stating out a predator that was really damned nasty, and pretty accurate.
I did a search check, but the only thing mentioned were the creatures from Warhammer 40k having monsters that'd be the most accurate. The ones they mentioned for D&D are closer to the aliens that Ripley fought. They just need a tail added on.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
Well, maybe the Swordsage would if they had taken the unarmed progression, but that's about it (and the DM might argue that).
By RAW, or atleast my conservative interpretation of it, no. Though DMs are well within their right to allow it, since many of those by-chart things are nearly formulaic.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
Well, maybe the Swordsage would if they had taken the unarmed progression, but that's about it (and the DM might argue that).
By RAW, or atleast my conservative interpretation of it, no. Though DMs are well within their right to allow it, since many of those by-chart things are nearly formulaic.
Yeah, I think the problem is that they actually use the monk as an example, and I couldn't think for the life of me what the point of being a Monk 4/Bloodline 3 would be if you didn't get any benefit. If by RAW it doesn't count, then would good would being a Monk 7 do you?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
Yeah, I think the problem is that they actually use the monk as an example, and I couldn't think for the life of me what the point of being a Monk 4/Bloodline 3 would be if you didn't get any benefit. If by RAW it doesn't count, then would good would being a Monk 7 do you?
Per day uses of stunning fist.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
Q7Besides taking Arcane Disciple, any way to add Divine Power to a Wizard's spell list?
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]