Author Topic: Looking for interest [ d20 future ]  (Read 30293 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Looking for interest [ d20 future ]
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2010, 02:35:55 AM »
Well, I've played Modern before, but not with a group of optimizers. So it's always been sort of low-key (though I did have a pretty kick-ass Rock Star Telepath in one game- Got the DM to OK adapting Practiced Manifester into d20 Modern :D).

I guess I'll try to figure something out, even if it doesn't involve my previous concept.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2010, 02:56:27 AM »
part of the problem is keeping everyone sort of balanced with arbitrarilly large amounts of money. The mutant idea would have worked if the wealth system wouldn't have been blown open and made cybernetics/gadgets so easy to pump stuff up.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

endgamecutter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2010, 02:58:37 AM »
@archangel am I allowed to take you up on that offer? I can optimize my killing well enough (seeing as in future it just comes down to an arms race from what I can tell) but the base skeleton I'm still having trouble with (especially with skills, I've never actually had much of a chance to play around with them to see how they perform, so they always get forgotten) I know I'm going to wind up as a mini-mecha of some sort (covered in guns); mainly because I feel that heavy armor and big guns lend themselves well to a narrow corridor. But I have no idea how to go about it.

Also, I've been thinking. Considering we're playing around with weapons that can probably kills our characters twice over, does anyone else think we're kinda pushing it? Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather not have every fight become a race to the first initiative at level 3.
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2010, 03:09:26 AM »
Also, I've been thinking. Considering we're playing around with weapons that can probably kills our characters twice over, does anyone else think we're kinda pushing it? Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather not have every fight become a race to the first initiative at level 3.
It's not initiative. it's having the longer range.  ;)

Sorry about killing the wealth system. If it doesn't screw with the others plans I could go back to the robot character I planned out. Not sure what roll I would fill for that though.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2010, 03:23:39 AM »
I'm fine with either way for the wealth system, I really don't want you to change the character that you want to play for something else because the D20 Wealth system is screwed up.

Endgame i'd be happy to help you with your character build. You just need to provide me with some information as to exactly what you want to do, and what gear you want that will require feats to use properly.

As for the arms race the issue is that we need to be able to deal with opposing mechs which will generally have a metric shit ton of HP along with their hardness. Our combat guys should have at least one weapon that deals a significant amount of damage or has some sort of disabling effect to deal with enemy mechs. We can always use the laser/plasma rifles on the infantry so perhaps the big guns should be something we won't have infinite ammo for so we won't feel so justified in using them as instagib weapons on the infantry types. Also don't forget grenades are a good choice for anyone who can throw stuff.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2010, 03:31:54 AM »
There's a point; we may want to rethink our strategy of build. I love the idea of piloting a mecha, but if we're gonna fight mecha, it could be huge, drawn out battles that either outright kill some players (our wallet  :lol) or whittle down others over the course of potentially a dozen or so turns.

So basically, why don't we hit mecha-class disruption later, when we unbalance the wealth system in good time, our wallet having entrepreneur'd his way to galactic wealth. I'll knock my juggernaught mecha down to a heavily armored biodroid, meant as a personal defense bot, who was programmed to take the personality of great killers/warriors, but got all the psycho difficulties of the guy they chose for his shell. Yes, I'm thinking more ghost in the shell, less gundam.

I mean, alternatively we can do this route, and continue it unless we get TPK'ed, but I think then Stormcrow might start slapping our mechs with colossal starships.  :p
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:34:12 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2010, 03:40:41 AM »
well in his other PbP game Stormcrow said he wouldn't be able to post this weekend so we probably won't hear from him until Monday. Though i think that he would be ok with a gentlemen's agreement with the party to avoid Mechs until we get a few more levels on us and we avoid the weapons that have double digit dice counts. Though i think the group could wear down a single mech with guerrilla tactics or multiple if we had prior knowledge and advantage, like an ambush.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2010, 04:27:39 AM »
Also don't forget grenades are a good choice for anyone who can throw stuff.
Throwing. So last century. I'm getting a grenade launcher built into my leg.

Though i think that he would be ok with a gentlemen's agreement with the party to avoid Mechs until we get a few more levels on us and we avoid the weapons that have double digit dice counts.
What about single uses stuff in the double digit dice count? I want to have a singularity grenade.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
Well i won't put words in his mouth you should be able to ask him when he gets back on after this weekend.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
Haha, I could reconfigure my guy into a demolitions expert, and between two grenade launchers we could whittle anything down into scrap. :P

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
That may work well actually. with grenades for everyone anything big and scary would fall pretty quick while the limited ammo and whole cause a hull breach and kill us all would discourage over use of them.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »
That's why you use small burst explosives while on a ship. :D

Man, one character in a d20 game took down a Big Bad by taking everyone's grenades, stringing them together, throwing them into the room with the BB, and setting off a chain explosion. The GM was surprised by our ingenuity, but displeased that the fight was over so fast. :P

If Storm still finds some way to allow mutations, ie: allowing me to have some before going into Evolutionary (and honestly, they're not any worse than implants/cybernetics and the like, besides not having a currency-cost), I could probably find some way to do both, making myself useful in close-quarters and in larger-scale combat. :)

:edit:
And if jojo and I both do demolitions, we can be the Super Explosion Bros. :lmao
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:01:05 PM by VennDygrem »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »
:edit:
And if jojo and I both do demolitions, we can be the Super Explosion Bros. :lmao
Where's the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering ka-boom!  :)
Variable ammo (added multiple times), expanded mags(at least 5 times), Grenade launcher. Then add an auto-fire module.  :D
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

endgamecutter

• Email
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
Sorry about killing the wealth system. If it doesn't screw with the others plans I could go back to the robot character I planned out. Not sure what roll I would fill for that though.
I'm not objecting to you being rich moron, I'm just saying it might be better to keep our weapons somewhat plausible for our levels (single digits only for dicecount is a good rule of thumb). We could probably get away with having double digit dicecount (now refered to as DDD, or DoomsDay Device, or something to that effect) but calling them our individual superweapon or something like that, and only having 1-3 shots for it so we can only use them on big threats, or something. Besides, I like rich moron in the group, its better than worrying about what I can actually afford.

And the character I have in mind was pretty much a human mobile weapons platform, but since you guys were more agreeable to the prospect of toning down our weapons than I expected, I might stick with a tactical assault soldier. Either way he's gonna have decent armor (platform moreso than tactical). Platform would probably be less mobile on foot and use a jetpack or something to move around and a pasasble rate; making up for his lack of speed with way too many guns. Tactics guy would have less armor, and use long ranged weapons (generally with some form of debilitating effect) to take out foes without worrying about taking hits himself. Since demolitions expert with dual grenade launchers implies being heavy, I guess he can be heavy weapons guy and I'll use a bunch of crowd control. Think there would be any problem buying stuff from older tech ages? I saw a sound dart in I think tech level 6 that would be awesome for sneaking around and positioning guards where I want them, but I'd probably need a lower tier gun to shoot them.
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »
ok how about everyone chime in with a 1 or 2 line description of what their character will do.

For me I'm a skills guy. Lots of Repair and Craft Elec & Mech to maintain our gear and build new stuff if needed, also computer expert to use countermeasures vs enemy and steal their data. Combat is lots of me hiding and shooting when i feel like it won't get me killed but infinite ammo to spray and pray.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
Out of Combat I'll be paying for everything, medic (or back-up medic), and will be the party face.
In combat Emergency healing, and artillery support I mean explosions.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
Though i think the group could wear down a single mech with guerrilla tactics or multiple if we had prior knowledge and advantage, like an ambush.
Immediate Thought. Course, he did use a friggin cannon to finish the fight, but you gotta give her credit for the attempted grapple check (even if she rolled a nat 1).

I'm thinking a bit of a guerilla soldier, still as a melee-capable guy (though to find nice melee weapons...), and possibly a biodroid, though that no-con thing kinda sucks. I'll have the nicest armor money can buy.  :D Possibly powersuits, though three of my feats to armor use might be intense if I'm gonna go mecha later on...

God, I should have read through the feats in future. The X Plus feats are amazingly useful for someone going into a prc that needs two talents from a less-nice class.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:06:49 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
My character will likely be a mix of genetically modified (mutations) and cybernetically-enhanced super-soldier (a la Master Chief). For larger foes in open environments, he'll focus on demolitions expertise, while being quite capable at melee/close combat and heavy weapons, if possible.

Honestly, I haven't been able to figure out how to make any of that work, but we'll see.

endgamecutter

• Email
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
Immediate Thought. Course, he did use a friggin cannon to finish the fight, but you gotta give her credit for the attempted grapple check (even if she rolled a nat 1).
um, did she just rip her own ARMS off trying to grapple that thing? please tell me she's a robot, and not just suicidal.

Anyway, since we sincerely seem to lack it, I'm gonna focus on ranged combat, either in heavy armor with heavy weapons integrated on my shoulders, or as a sniper using dual railguns (I have NO IDEA how he's gonna use the scopes, so don't ask). It doesn't really matter to me which I use, someone just give me a pitch based on how you think our party is gonna do combat (as in if we're more cautious, sneak around kill them quickly and quietly, say sniper. If we're basicly Leeroy Jenkins with guns, then the heavy dude)

Semi Final group listing:
Archangel: tech expert, coward
Flay: guerilla fighter with a pointy stick. My guess is the scout from TF2 (what? TF2 is great for generalizing)
Jojo: party wallet/medic/face, guy with explosives.
Venn: Supersoldier with a preference towards explosives, melee skills as well.
Me: either the heavy or the sniper, place your votes now! (yes, I'm this indecisive)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »
Guess that makes me the Demoman. Should I complete the persona with a scottish accent? XD
It's even more appropriate with the melee kit in the update. XD