Author Topic: WLD Tome Style Aim/IRC/Chat with Maps.  (Read 2545 times)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
WLD Tome Style Aim/IRC/Chat with Maps.
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:46:45 AM »
So I want to DM WLD, but using basically all the Tome houserules, including my own personal errata to that.

Any Tome or Tome level classes are fine, and whatever, roll with it. If you have a problem or want something, ask me about it.

Now, honestly, a lot of WLD is dumb as crap, but in some ways, Tome fixes it pretty well, so first off, you know all those stupid houserules for WLD? Ignore them all.

Try to stay towards the low end of Tome optimization, though starting at level 1 is a good limit to some degree. But basically, things that are not okay include anyone casting a level X spell at a level before X times 2 minus 1.

I'm going to basically provide you maps like this: Scroll down to Player versions. look at it.

And obviously it's easy to find lots of other info on the dungeons if you care to, so I trust you not to metagame in ways that make the game less fun or make me call bullshit.

Basically, nothing you do should have an XP cost, because XP costs are stupid, and you'll level when I say you level, and it will be roughly objective based, so you don't have to try to grind.

Items will be Book of Gears style, where they are magical, and I'll tell you what they do. I have my own info on how potions/scrolls/wands work for Book of Gears in my errata thread.

So all that said, what I need is 3-5 people willing to play through this till we give up, who have several hours free on Wednesday and/or Thursday (roughly, want to do 3-4 hours per session, any time between 7AM and 11PM Central US Time on those days).

We can use someone's IRC, or we can use AIM or whatever. Everyone will look at the Player maps, which don't show Secret Doors and monster names and stuff, and I'll tell you what you face.

Oh, and regarding the maps: every square, consider it a 10X10 square instead. May up this to 20X20, if I think that makes it better.

I'll figure out why you are in there and shit after I have a party to work with. Characters that I like get priority, and that's partially good motivations and goals, and partially classes and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:50:35 AM by Kaelik »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: WLD Tome Style Aim/IRC/Chat with Maps.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
I'd post an extreme interest in this (I've always wanted to take the Tome rules for a test drive), but I can't commit to anything other than PbP at this point.

Good luck finding players!  Are you planning on posting any kind of a diary of this there or at The Den?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
Maybe one of the other players will, maybe I will if I feel like it. We'll see.

Krika

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »
I'd like to play this, but I'm not really sure how many other people will play like that.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »
I'd be interested in this, depending on when it starts. Between now and the end of June, I have moderate free time (aka time when I should actually be doing something else), starting in July I'll be available pretty much 24/7. For now, on Wednesdays and Thursdays I have time roughly 2 pm-5:30 pm/8 pm-12 am and 5 pm-12 am, respectively. That's GMT+2, so in Central Standard Time it would be 7 am-12:30 pm/1 pm-5 pm and 10 am-5 pm.
For me, playing for a few hours every week actually sounds very good, since I usually get distracted when typing for PbP and take an hour or longer to write up short posts. I've also never actually played tabletop, so this would be a novel exercise in quick thinking for me, I think. Also, I want to try more Tome stuff, though I'm not yet sure what exactly.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
Well, at this point I have 7 interested parties not counting you two in this thread, so meh.

Trying to split this into two groups.

Stats have become 32 PB, and am hoping to start tomorrow, depending on when someone is available.

Will be getting the other game up in a week or so probably. If you want to make a character, just give me some idea or even a completed character, and if I can fit you into the schedule, that's great.

If anyone has a vent/IRC for use, that would be great, or we might do an AIM chatbox + skype.

Will see how it goes.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
Since I want to try some tome material, I was thinking perhaps a Fighter. I might go for a Horde Breaker/TWF BFC build similar to the various Molester builds. Fluff-wise, I might go for a "step aside kiddo, I do this for a living" theme, which might double as a reason to be exploring the WLD. I've seen the Tome Fighter described as actually being over the top, though. :P
I don't have an IRC (nor have I ever used one, for that matter...), but I do have AIM and Skype. How owuld rolling be handled? Invisible Castle, honor system, or someting else?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:29:39 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Odinson

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »
How familiar with all this would I have to be to give it a shot? I'd like to try WLD but I'm not familiar with the Tomes

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:20:34 PM »
They've actually been playing for a few weeks, Odinson.  I don't know how Kaelik feels about having someone new join the game.  If you want to ask him, you'll have better luck getting ahold of him at this thread over at The Gaming Den.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
More precisely, the game has been dead for weeks because Kaelik abandoned it. This won't be the first time, but he basically said that he hates GMing and doesn't wanna do it anymore.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
More precisely, the game has been dead for weeks because Kaelik abandoned it. This won't be the first time, but he basically said that he hates GMing and doesn't wanna do it anymore.

To be fair, I did find a replacement DM for the group. His computer just blew up.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 02:53:07 AM »

To be fair, I did find a replacement DM for the group. His computer just blew up.

True that.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!