Author Topic: How bad are the optional material components?  (Read 2985 times)

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
How bad are the optional material components?
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »
How bad are the optional material components in the Complete Mage book(or other books if there are more)?  ???
And can a factotum make use of them, since factotums use material components for their SLA's ???

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Re: How bad are the optional material components?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
I would assume that because the factotum uses material components that they could use optional components, but that is just my interpretation....

I have used the components a few times, and as long as they are relatively hard to get, they work great. If they are easy to get a hold of, they can cause problems. tjmot....
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
Bah, those components? They won't cause any problems, even if you can buy them from a street vendor. You need one dose per level of the spell you cast and all they really do is make the spell bigger/longer/slightly harder to resist/in one case a move action faster. Hell, primal essence is worthless if you actually buy it--it costs 150 gp for enough essence to substitute for 100 gp worth of components, which means that the only reason to use it is that you found the stuff somewhere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »
Hell, primal essence is worthless if you actually buy it--it costs 150 gp for enough essence to substitute for 100 gp worth of components, which means that the only reason to use it is that you found the stuff somewhere.
Well, theoretically you could craft it, and it does give a bit of versitality for people who have a lot of expensive material component spells to cast
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
Hell, primal essence is worthless if you actually buy it--it costs 150 gp for enough essence to substitute for 100 gp worth of components, which means that the only reason to use it is that you found the stuff somewhere.
Well, theoretically you could craft it, and it does give a bit of versitality for people who have a lot of expensive material component spells to cast
I don't know about crafting it...maybe harvesting the stuff from the Ethereal Plane.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 01:27:14 AM »
Bit too unreliable for my taste, since they don't always work either.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 03:44:17 AM »
Bit too unreliable for my taste, since they don't always work either.

You're thinking of the UA optional components.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
Quite a few of the optional components from BoED and the like have an X% chance of working.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:12:52 PM »
Quite a few of the optional components from BoED and the like have an X% chance of working.
Yes, but the Complete Mage components don't have that chance of failure. Unless, of course, you use too little of them, in which case they're expended without effect.