Author Topic: Possible new game - Making it up as I go along (3.5 with extra stuff)  (Read 15356 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Anyone up for a light-hearted, moderately-high-powered campaign incorporating elements from a ton of fictional works?

You might have to fight your way into Hogwarts with lightsabers before a fight between Goku and Superman blows up the planet or something.

Starting level 3, no LA buyoff. If you are a 2nd-level barbarian with a +1 LA, the LA is removed but you have to play a barbarian 2/commoner 1. You can play an LA +3 race, but you have to be a commoner 3.

You get 15 character points from BESM d20. You can take defects as well, just don't get into purchase-loops like "Alternate Form with an Alternate Form".
(I have the Attributes and Defects sections of the SRD attached - open "index.html" in each file)

EDIT: Not as many people have looked at the defects, so let me say this: Adding defects gives you more character points to play with.

EDIT: Here are the rules on energy points:
[spoiler]
Energy Points
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:01:09 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email

Interesting. And interested, but I don't want to overcommit myself. What type of post count are you looking for - and can I be Raito  complete with DN?  :D
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Hmm...I'd totally play one of the hares from Redwall if I could figure out how to stat that.  Is there an eating equivalent to the Drunken Master PrC? :D

EDIT: Or a Badger Lord.  Or Skipper of the Otters.  Or...OOH!  GUOSIM WINDMILL!  There's gotta be a good way to use shrews + White Raven...

I can't believe how much of this stuff I remember.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:59:28 PM by Pan-Fried Hamster »

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
this looks awesome.
i'm soo in! :clap

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
I wholeheartedly encourage the play of existing characters. But I'm not giving Straw_Man a major artefact for free. :nonono (just play a truenamer)
It would be better, though, if you play something like "a ninja from the Naruto world" rather than Naruto himself - more hooks that way.

I also encourage anyone who is not playing to submit story suggestions to me (helpful if someone is playing a character from some obscure source I have never heard of).

Your characters can be as crazy as you want - if you want to use a sub-optimal feat like Monkey Grip, I can give it a boost. If you want to use a homebrew class to play a waterbender or whatever, show it to me and I'll probably allow it as long as it can't cast mass heal at will.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Are we using Defense Rolls? Basically like normal AC but instead of 10+bonuses it's d20+bonuses?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
I'll mock up a char soon.
Just wondering if you know
of a goblin that gets
a bonus to Int.
I was thinking a wizard from
the Izzit guild A la Ravnica.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Are we using Defense Rolls? Basically like normal AC but instead of 10+bonuses it's d20+bonuses?
I'll put that down to vote.

As for goblins that get Int bonuses, try a blue, or just play a grey elf and say it's a big goblin.
My work

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
I'm very tempted to try and make some sort of Shadow Master (not the undead ones). Grab Pocket Dimension (any shadows) 1, Sixth Sense (Ethereal/Incorporeal beings) 1, Force Field (Self-only, detectable, ghost touch) 1 and a couple others. Will post more soon.
I know gameology-fu.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder

I was just thinking of building a Shinigami and I'd like to be able to block with my sword(either as a power requiring an attack roll or like a shield bonus to AC and using a defense roll)

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Possible new game - Making it up as I go along (3.5 with extra stuff)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

I was just thinking of building a Shinigami and I'd like to be able to block with my sword(either as a power requiring an attack roll or like a shield bonus to AC and using a defense roll)

Can I play a Shinigami from a homebrew Bleach D20 ? LINK

And can anyone tell me what BESM is? I only played casual 3.5 and PVP matches until now...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:19:29 PM by bayar »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
Can I play a Shinigami from a homebrew Bleach D20 ? LINK

And can anyone tell me what BESM is? I only played casual 3.5 and PVP matches until now...

Very nice link. I'd like to play something similar. :)

BESM is an anime-roleplaying system and BESM d20 is the d20 version that is most compatable to standard D&D. In normal BESM d20 you build your character straight off character points and whatever your class gives you, using your character points to acquire abilities and defects(hinderances or limitations on abilities) from a wide range of options, reflavoring as desired--the abilities can look and act pretty much as desired so long as they mechanically function within the limitations.

Really great for flavor, though all I want is a warrior-type Shinigami with Shunpo and Shikai. :)

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »
All right, now I'm intrigued. I'm looking at attributes of Pocket Dimension (All shadows) 1, Special Attack (Linked (Pocket Dimension), Affects Incorporeal, No Damage) 1, Environmental Control (Darkness) 1 and Power Defence (Pocket Dimension) 1. Still not entirely sold on class, though I'm tempted to try a Cleric of Darkness and Trickery. Ninja is just too easy with this.
I know gameology-fu.

yellerSumner

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:10 PM »
What about using BESM classes and trading inappropriate abilities in for more points?

[spoiler]
  [/spoiler]
 :thought

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »
What about using BESM classes and trading inappropriate abilities in for more points?

[spoiler]
  [/spoiler]

How much XP do I get for killing the yellow rat?

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 06:34:34 AM »

[spoiler]
  [/spoiler]

How much XP do I get for killing the yellow rat?

Think it has plot armor...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »
The Shinigami class is fine, but yellerSummer, I'm worried that if you play Ash Ketchum, you will die very soon of natural causes (it is very natural to bleed to death after your head is removed by the other party members). I'll let you use the class, if you promise to play a different trainer and not use Pikachu.

As for "trading inappropriate abilities for more points", that's what the Adventurer class is for - the build-your-own class.
My work

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »
Also, I lied about the Goblin, i think this game needs Mega Man, Hello Warforged artificer!

Are you ok with crafting custom items for my power armor and Gun and RUSH?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »
This looks and sounds most interesting, I wish you all good luck with this and I look forward to reading your logs.

Handy Links

yellerSumner

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »
XD True, it is a rather natural cause.
However, I was thinking of Pikachu as a Magical Girl with a SSBB Pokemon Trainer-esque Ash as the Servant ("Didn't we just leave him in the last room? How'd he get here?").  I'll have to ponder for a bit to figure out what other Pokemon might work for that sort of adaptation if Pikachu remains an unaccptable 'mon.

[spoiler]Pikachu as Magical Girl
Servant - trainer
Special Attack - Attacks
Item of Power - swapped for additional special attacks. Could be made to work without swapping.
Jumping - Quick Attack a la SSBB
Rejuvenation - activates from a speech about friendship, getting along, whatnot
Flight - Balloon Pikachu a la Pokemon Snap[/spoiler]

Adventurer is built-your-own at the cost of 12 CP.  :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:01:10 PM by yellerSumner »