Author Topic: Vampire Gestalt Character - Questions  (Read 2318 times)

gravilhammerstone

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Vampire Gestalt Character - Questions
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »
Greets!

We are starting up a level 20 gestalt campaign. I wanted to play something a little different this time around and it so happened I was looking to make a gnome vampire. My DM has allowed the vampire to be good and has allowed him to take an artifact that will allow him to walk around in daylight without any penalties. The problem that I'm running into is that with a +8 LA, I am worried I will not be as effective as a normal level 20 character.

That said, I was looking to play a warlock/scout combination. Seeing as how I will not be benefiting from a high BAB, will the class combination not be worth it? And should I drop it for something that will allow me to be more useful in combat? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Edit: Hrm, perhaps a buffing class would be more useful to the party...with such an extreme LA.

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
Re: Vampire Gestalt Character - Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »
you could skip the la by tanking the monster class(sort of)

or:

oyu need to find a prc that bestows that template on you since then you do not get the la
fortunatly something like this exists:

shadow sun ninja its 10th levle ability can turn you into a vampire without the sun problem
and no la!

the la thing can be looked up in the faq
where it says that when a prc or class gives you a template you dont get the la since oyu already paid for it by taking the class.

that should help^^
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
The only problem with that is that Shadow Sun Ninja specifies that if a player becomes a vampire, they become an NPC.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

gravilhammerstone

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:44 AM »
I think I found the solution. Taking 8 levels of the vampire spawn class in Libris Mortis along side my warlock class offsets the LA.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:51:51 AM »
Does your DM allow you to take LA on one side of the gestalt progression and class levels on the other or would you have to give up 8 full gestalt levels? 

Since your DM was accommodating on the sunlight issue, it may be worthwhile to ask if you can use at least part of the Pathfinder version of the undead type.  In Pathfinder, undead templates don't change your class HD to d12s and undead racial HD are d8s, but all undead get to use charisma in place of constitution for all purposes, including calculating HP. 

If you just want to play an undead character, necropolitan (Libris Mortis) is a 0 LA template that makes you undead and doesn't really change anything else.  Dread necromancer gives you the lich template for free at 20th level in addition to full spontaneous casting, but with a limited spell list.  Walker in the waste (Sandstorm) gives you the dry lich template at 10th level and advances your spellcasting 8 out of 10 levels. 

gravilhammerstone

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:52:21 AM »
1. Unfortunately, no. Would have been cool though taking levels beside it.

2. Pathfinder is currently not allowed so that is out.

3. Just looked at theh necropolitan and it really did not fit the character I had in mind. I think I'm going to end up scrapping the idea. Vampire LA is just too heavy.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »
I am not sure what sources you are allowed, but this is the best I can do.  First check out this, it lets you take the LA as class levels.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

Now remeber your good friend the Legacy Champion.  It progresses a class while still giving you HD.

Maybe go

Vampire Class 1
Warlock 12/ Scout 7//Scout 10/Legacy Champion 9

This should get you full vampire progression, the ability to make any item, and still almost max out the scout.  Of course you could reverse that and go for more warlock levels.  The only downside is you are stuck the legacy champion as your main PrC.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:02:45 AM »
How do you feel about half vampire, from Libris Mortis? 

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email