Author Topic: 3.5 Wealth Tool  (Read 2611 times)

Navigator

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
3.5 Wealth Tool
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
I've been working on a Wealth Manager, inspired by the Heroforge Tool.

This tool is best used for creating new (high level) characters that have more wealth than you know what to do with, or if you're a DM and want a quick way to assign NPC wealth. Overall, this tool will:
  • Allow you to spend your character's wealth very quickly and accurately.
  • Give you a printable sheet with every magic item you own on it.
  • Empowers DMs to gear up NPCs without a headache.
  • Includes all of the Magic Item Compendium items and a few things from other books.
  • Allows you to reduce the cost of items for crafting, and will tell you the amount of downtime you need and XP burned.
  • You get to see the page reference and short description of everything you buy.
  • Includes a comprehensive spellbook tool, which tracks number of pages and total spellbook cost.
  • Allows you to easily add custom items or items that aren't added yet.

Usability:
This tool is best used in MS Excel 2003 or later. Some have reported that this tool works fine in OpenOffice, but I tried playing with it in OO and my machine crashed... so try this at your own risk. However, eventually getting this functional in OO is important to me, so don't lose hope.

Why?
The reason I'm sharing this is because I've spent a lot of time creating this, and it would go to waste if I were the only one to take advantage of it. Please post any comments you have. If you think it sucks, we're all entitled to our opinion, but do your best to make it constructive.

Any comments, suggestions, or requests are welcome. I realize there is no support for mighty composite bows... which is lame, but it's just a matter of finding an aesthetic place to put another drop-down box. Other than that, it can handle virtually anything else you throw at it.

---------------------------

Download links can be found here.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: 3.5 Wealth Tool
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »
Nice work on this. I will test it out more later. Could you provide an ability to use the MIC item combination rules that let you put the effects of two magic items into the same slot? That would just be a cost increase added with a check indicating they are on item on your current two items per slot system.  Also your cost reduction for mundane item crafting is off, it is 1/3 the market price, not 1/2.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:42:18 PM by Havok4 »

Navigator

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
I fixed the forging costs, thanks for that.

As for the MIC multiple effects rules, I will work on that for v1.5. I could do something real quick to provide functionality, but I want to do it right. Honestly, I don't even know why I didn't think to add that in yet, thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I have a couple questions about the mechanical functionality of the Artisan feats from the ECS for you guys.

First, for the Exceptional Artisan feat, the one that reduces downtime for crafted items by 25%, how does that get resolved? I can think of two methods:
  • Reduce the effective cost of the item by 25% before calculating how long it takes
  • Multiply the amount of time an items takes to craft by 3/4 and round up to the nearest day

Second, does the gp cost reduction from Extraordinary Artisan count for mundane crafting? I've read the text, and it would seem to me by RAW, it would. However, I wanted input from the community before I implemented that.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

First, for the Exceptional Artisan feat, the one that reduces downtime for crafted items by 25%, how does that get resolved? I can think of two methods:
  • Reduce the effective cost of the item by 25% before calculating how long it takes
  • Multiply the amount of time an items takes to craft by 3/4 and round up to the nearest day

The second option seems like it would work best.
Second, does the gp cost reduction from Extraordinary Artisan count for mundane crafting? I've read the text, and it would seem to me by RAW, it would. However, I wanted input from the community before I implemented that.

It would reduce the cost for mundane crafting as well.

Also the custom item addition will not let me change the item type, it says that that cell is protected. The whole custom item functionality does not seem to work.

Navigator

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
Yeah, I got a little happy with the protection features on Excel, so it should work fine now. It did bring another bug to my attention though, so don't try adding any ranged weapon qualities.

Thanks for your diligence Havok!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:16:49 AM »
Yeah, I got a little happy with the protection features on Excel, so it should work fine now. It did bring another bug to my attention though, so don't try adding any ranged weapon qualities.

Thanks for your diligence Havok!
No thanks needed, I will need this thing should I ever get my factotum chameleon off the group, item crafting and utility gear choice can be exceedingly complex.

gravilhammerstone

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »
Wow. Very wonderful job on this. I will be using it for both DMing and my future characters. /bow

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
I just found another issue, you need to add a base weapon and melee weapon enchantment category to the custom item addition utility. Also you need armor spikes to be in either the weapon section or the armor modification section. Another thing that would be useful would be for the utility to automatically calculate the total weight of your gear. Also another error, certain low cost items like chalk will not register as having any cost at all, I think this is a rounding error.  Also could you include a means of monitoring an artificer's craft pool, that is the class that would gain the most benefit from this sheet.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:09:57 PM by Havok4 »

Navigator

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
Quote from: gravilhammerstone
Wow. Very wonderful job on this. I will be using it for both DMing and my future characters. /bow
Thanks!  :D

I just found another issue, you need to add a base weapon and melee weapon enchantment category to the custom item addition utility. Also you need armor spikes to be in either the weapon section or the armor modification section. Another thing that would be useful would be for the utility to automatically calculate the total weight of your gear. Also another error, certain low cost items like chalk will not register as having any cost at all, I think this is a rounding error.  Also could you include a means of monitoring an artificer's craft pool, that is the class that would gain the most benefit from this sheet.
I'm aware of the weapon enhancement thing, which will be fixed in 1.5. I also want to add in more weapons which may eliminate the need for a custom weapons page, but I will put this on my to-do list.

I've decided that calculating total weight would be an absolutely fantastic amount of grueling work. Adding in the functionality isn't too much trouble, its going in and checking every single item for its weight and typing it in. That's far down the road unless I get a volunteer for data entry. Another thing far down the road is what kind of action it takes to activate an item. I got lucky with price and description because its in a nice neat table in the back if the MIC that can be copy/pasted if in a pdf.  :p

As for the very low priced items, it does calculate into the total, but unless you get up to at least a silver piece, you won't see it. For example, try buying 100 pieces of chalk. This aspect is working as intended, just because of the amount of room four decimal places consume. Though, I will consider adding in some formatting options that will show your total down to the copper.

I'm willing to put the artificer's crafting reserve in because it's simple, and only requires adding in an extra dropdown. However, I officially want to stay away from character creation mechanics, but this particular thing is innocent enough.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
I can see the issue with the weight, but once items are selected for cost calculating weight should be less of an issue. You definitely should keep the custom item utility if only for DM defined custom items and anything you leave out from the huge number of 3.5 books.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:54:26 PM »
I can help with some of the data entry for weight if you want it done. Just send me some instructions on how you want it done.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren