Author Topic: 12th level Beguiler choices?  (Read 2065 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
12th level Beguiler choices?
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
Okay, I have a Beguiler 11/Shadow Adept 1.  Just hit 12th level and so I am looking into feat options as well as spells for Advanced Learning.

For Advanced Learning I'm probably going to just go with Freezing Glance from Frostburn.  It's a damn nice spell.

I am open to other suggestions however and the DM is allowing me the Eclectic Learning (warmage alternative class feature) so I really have a lot more flexibility in choice beyond Ench/Illusion.

For feats I have several that I am considering but looking for other ideas and even critics about the various options.

Feats Considering so far: Coercive Spell, Extra Spell, Arcane Disciple (Spell, Healing, or other domains), Extraordinary Concentration, Spell Focus (Enchantment or Illusion), Dual Spell (lets cast 2 spells but of half CL and level that half CL would allow so up to 2 3rd level spells in my case).

Of note, I have 17 Wisdom for Arcane Disciple.

Current Feats: Shadow Weave magic, Insidious Magic, Tenacious Magic, Pernicious Magic, Silent spell, Still spell, Dark Stalker, Leadership, Mask Signature, Extra Spell(Divine Power), Versatile Spellcaster

Thanks for any ideas and feedback.

Sources available: Most other than Dragon Magazine or campaign specific sources (FR, EB, DL, ect..)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:11:51 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: 12th level Beguiler choices?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
If you have that high of a wisdom already it would be a waste not to take arcane disciple, more spells known is always good. So then it comes down to what would be a good choice for a domain. The transformation domain is amazing if you can get it but it is from races of ebberon so that might not work out. Travel is nice for utility and mobility, the spell domain is also neat, mysticism domain would be neat for gishing, creation would have wonderful utility uses,the storm domain would be fun but not overly optimal.

For your new spell polymorph would be always useful.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:44:21 AM »
Also consider Draconic Polymorph (if allowed), but Freezing Glance is AWESOME. It's a Free Action Save-or-Die (Lite) EVERY ROUND, which is AWESOME.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
Penumbra Bloodline is indeed a very good feat. Teleport can be acquired as a Spell Known 2/day with a Belt in the MIC (Part of a Set).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »
@brainpiercing and CantripN: Penumbra Bloodline certainly does look good but as an aspect of Dragon Magazine content it is not allowed.

As far as travel I think for the purposes of this character Shadow Walk will be nearly as good as Teleport.  Plus, as mentioned can get Teleports from items (have 3 scrolls even now) and from my wizard/swiftblade minion (another PC).

@CantripN: Draconic Polymorph  could certainly be a candidate for both Eclectic Learning or Extraspell feat, especially since we may be basically sneaking into a Dragon Council before too long.

@havok4:  Regarding Domain choices I'm leaning towards Spell for the sheer breadth of options it allows including Teleport and many others via Greater Anyspell. 

The more I think of it the more I am led to choose between Arcane Disciple and Dual Spell. 
With CL boost it would be possible to cast up to two 4th level spells in a round which would bring me down to a Utility vs Action economy decision.

I can UMD for utility so the Action Economy is probably the way to go especially since often we find ourselves in tight spots without the chance to be prebuffed.  Hmmm....
Placeholder - T'tosc

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
Where is Dual Spell from anyway?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »
Where is Dual Spell from anyway?

The AEG FEATS book.

Hmm, Travel Domain for Find the Path among the other goodies.  That utility just might be worth not having the extra spells each round.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:35:07 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
I agree, the action economy is much better than a couple of extra spells known.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
LOL well I decided not to trivialize the DMs dungeon (and deny the rogue good use of trap skills) and went with Dual Spell instead of Arcane Disciple (for Find the Path).

Damn Find the Path would have been useful last session hehe.
Placeholder - T'tosc