Author Topic: Quick Duskblade/WyrmWizard critique  (Read 1840 times)

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Quick Duskblade/WyrmWizard critique
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
I'm planning to use Wyrm Wizards free metamagic to add Twin Spell and Energy Admixture[Acid] onto Shocking Grasp.

lv1: Power Attack
human: Combat Expertise
flaw Versatile Spellcaster
flaw Maximize Spell
lv3: Knowledge Devotion
lv6: Arcane Preparation
lv9 Arcane Strike
lv12 Twin Spell
lv15 Energy Substitution [acid]
lv18 Energy Admixture

Feat Concerns: Arcane Disciple to add spells to the list, obtain familiar I'm not too fond of.

Using a 2handed weapon per the rules I can take one hand off it, can I use that free hand for the material component and after using it put my hands back on the weapon so I wouldn't require eschew material components?

Versatile Spellcaster vs. Improved Familiar, which is better?

Combat Expertise vs Versatile Spellcaster/obtain familiar?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:57:06 PM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Pīke

• Monkey bussiness
Re: Quick Duskblade/WyrmWizard critique
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »
Using a 2handed weapon per the rules I can take one hand off it, can I use that free hand for the material component and after using it put my hands back on the weapon so I wouldn't require eschew material components?

As removing/replacing a hand on a two-handed weapon is a free action, and so is retrieving a component from a spell component pouch, I don't think you'll have any problems here.  Maybe with foci (which don't fit in the pouch), but do any Duskblade spells even require foci?  Not that eschew materials helps you there anyway...

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »
I don't see the point of combat expertise without improved trip. Also I'm not a big fan of verisatile spellcaster for duskblades, the spell progression is too slow for any real abuse.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
on any non full arcane caster, im a fan of precocious to get that second level spell.

scorching ray, touch of idiocy, swift invis... so many to choose from.

maximize at lvl 1 seems poorly timed, i assume its a prereq.

sudden max would be nicer, if you had the other meta for its prereq.

1. power attack (cant forget that +1 to damage @first level)
human. eschew or relicgaurd (just for the +0 lvl mod / prereq)
flaw. preco : scorching ray
flaw. sudden max

two handed/strength + 25 (sudden max scroch) (ya, its just once a day, but you just dropped the boss w/ 30 - 40 dmg (3hd ish?) ) prep w/ true strike of course..

ya, i know none of this addressed the op question. just my 2c.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:07:06 AM »
I agree that Versatile Spellcaster isn't as good on a duskblade: You're not a list-caster, so you won't gain higher level spells. While you DO have a ton of low level spell slots to burn, you can also burn them for other things.

Obtain Familiar+IMproved familiar will increase versatility a good deal, so I would take that. OR something to a) add spells (a bloodline from Dragon Compendium), or b) increase number of attacks to get the max out of Arcane Strike.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:21:51 PM »
Doesn't Wyrm Wizard 2 give that research anything thingy ?
If so (hazy) the point would be some specific target spell combo, that Duskblades normally can't do.

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
that's what maximize, energy admixture, and energy substitution were for.  Grab some choice gish buffs and use the free metamagic to apply admixture and maximize for free and then go to town.

Well, that WAS the plan until a giant dragon broke through the ceiling and one shot(through a full attack of doom) my Duskblade.  I'm gonna need a dragon slayer now, I'm thinking a more traditional gish and just set it and forget it and take shivering touch or something finding  a way to make the AC's insane.
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »

Well, that WAS the plan until a giant dragon broke through the ceiling and one shot(through a full attack of doom) my Duskblade. 

That  just seems mean spirited.