Author Topic: Savage Tides  (Read 1012 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Savage Tides
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »
I am pondering running this adventure path, given the opportunity.
It seems nice and one can't deny the Pirates-vibes, right? ;)

So for those who have run it, or just read it and still have any thoughts, is it a good module?
Can it handle moderate optimization without having to be re-tailored?
I'm not really in the mood for re-writing stuff unless I have to.

Any classes that shine?
Apart from the obvious ones that always shine.

Any classes that shouldn't be used?
I'm thinking like the Artificer in Red Hand of Doom. On the clock, so precious little time to craft = no fun.
I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but I haven't read through all scenarios yet.

I really like that it is enough material to go from 1 to 20, which is something I never have had earlier, always running out of inspiration too soon.

So, what are your experiences running/running around in the Savage Tides?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Savage Tides
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
IIRC the Adventure Paths had decently optimised enemies (including long tactics blocks for dragons), though I've never played or run them myself. Should be able to handle it.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Savage Tides
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
Currently playing through this using Pathfinder as a system. Lots of fun, nice and tough. If you're running it, encourage players to stay away from low-tier classes (like 5, maybe 4) unless they're really gifted players. If you want to give your players any helpful hints, those with weak Fort saves may want to invest in Great Fortitude.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:13:35 PM by winter_soldier »