Author Topic: Necropolitan LA with House Rules  (Read 1902 times)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Necropolitan LA with House Rules
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »
I'm considering running a game with a variety of house rules some of which would significantly effect necropolitans.  As in Pathfinder, all undead use charisma instead of constitution to determine bonus HP, fortitude saves, and every other thing normally based on constitution.  Also as in pathfinder, undead get d8 racial HD and undead templates do not change class HD.  Using a variant from unearthed arcana, each time a creature takes damage, an amount of damage equal to its armor bonus is converted to nonlethal damage. 

These rules make necropolitan a good choice for a charisma-focused character by increasing single attribute dependence.  They also make necropolitan a good choice for a heavily armored character, by effectively giving DR 15/- (assuming +5 Mechanus gear) on top of any other DR. 

So, if I were to give necropolitans a level adjustment, what would be fair?  Assume I get rid of the level loss normally required. 

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
Re: Necropolitan LA with House Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
LA +1 or LA +2.

1 LA seems a bit small. 2 LA seems a bit big. Perhaps 2 LA with LA buyoff would be a good compromise.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
LA+2 is way too big, and LA+1 is only acceptable if you have LA-buyoff.

Really, the only reason why people take it now is because it's a decent template with no Level Adjustment.

Keep it like it is, with the XP-loss, and it should be fine.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
Wait you don't take physical damage up to your armor bonus, for this is nonlethal damage, and undead are immune to nonlethal damage?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:55 PM »
That's the idea.  That's also why things with no Con score aren't allowed to have Regeneration.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."