Author Topic: Human NE Cleric of Oghma - Critique & Advise?  (Read 4114 times)

malignor

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Human NE Cleric of Oghma - Critique & Advise?
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Y'ello. Came here after realizing that WotC boards aren't what they used to be; everyone who's anyone moved here. This concludes my introductory arse-kissing.

Allright. In a month or so a new Faerun 3.5e campaign will be starting up and I'm about to take my first step into pure awesome, known as playing a Cleric. His name is Orwell Novash. The short story is that he's a Neutral Evil cleric of Oghma (Greater god of knowledge; Neutral). The long story is...[spoiler]Is the eldest of 4 siblings: 2 boys, 2 girls. Young Orwell worshiped his father, who was the hard-working descendant of a powerful and heroic warlord of Amn. Orwell was so fascinated by his glorious heritage that his parents even gave him the signet ring of his great great grandfather (the warlord). He never let that ring out of his sight, and was convinced that he was destined to be a great hero himself one day.

As a pre-teen, Orwell and his younger sister was kidnapped by a cult. Horrid things happened which he has never spoken about (and his sister was too young to remember), but later escaped with his sister. His father helped authorities turn in the kidnappers, and one year later was himself kidnapped by the same cult, and mailed back to the family in individual little pieces. Orwell was traumatized to the point where he later (from the stressor of defending the older sister against a gang) became a classic vigilante serial killer, complete with rituals reenacting his childhood traumas, and his victims of choice were anyone resembling his tormentors... those who willingly harmed or tainted society (violent people, corrupt people, etc.). This is effectively his evil alignment, and also the source for his self-loathing.

Despite this nasty little secret, he was accepted into Candlekeep, and became a Namer; a priest of Oghma. These priests of knowledge found great use for Orwell's murderous ways by "aiming" him at the people who spread ignorance and misinformation. Orwell's brother, Alukar (played by my buddy) became a wizard and earned his place as an apprentice of K. Blackstaff. Orwell's self-hatred forced him to transfer his grand delusions of heroic destiny onto Alukar. Thus, Orwell explains away his evil aura as a side effect from doing Oghma's less palatable work, while murdering and manipulating every badguy he can, and pushing Alukar into the limelight of heroism and greatness; Orwell became the murderous, manipulative shadow behind his glorious (and untainted by evil) brother. These things define his life.[/spoiler]

As of now, I have a pretty basic build idea where he becomes a Loremaster as his 8th character level [spoiler]FEATS
Human: Skill Focus - Knowledge (local, maybe) --> for Loremaster feat prerequisite
1HD: Scribe Scroll --> #1 of the 3 "craft or metamagic" for Loremaster feat prerequisite
3HD: Still Spell --> #2 of the 3 "craft or metamagic" for Loremaster feat prerequisite
6HD: Craft Wand --> #3 of the 3 "craft or metamagic" for Loremaster feat prerequisite

SKILLS
Cleric7: 10 ranks in Knowledge - Arcana --> #1 of the 2 "knowledge at 10 ranks" for Loremaster skill prerequisite
Cleric7: 10 ranks in Knowledge - Religion --> #2 of the 2 "knowledge at 10 ranks" for Loremaster skill prerequisite[/spoiler]

I tend to justify my choices in a humble and happy medium between concept and mechanics [spoiler]DOMAINS
Knowledge - Divination caster level boost and decent spell list. For finding victims and making informed choices.
Trickery - For keeping his nasty secrets, literally getting away with murder.

STATS (32 point buy)
Str12, Dex12, Con12, Int14, Wis14, Cha14
 - The STR shows he's able to fight a bit, but he's ultimately going to be a spellcaster with skill monkey features.
 - The DEX is for... okay, okay! I'll admit I can't stand having a character with flaws... geez, get off my back.
 - That INT score is for taking advantage of all those skills provided by the domains.
 - I know a WIS of 14 is sub-par on these boards, since at levels 16-19 his WIS will be stuck at 18 without a Wish or appropriate tome. PLUS there's the whole crappy-save-DC problem. But I can't help myself.
 - CHA of 14 to reflect how he got away with his lies and murder in his youth. Plus it's nice for turn checks and social skills.

SKILLS
Max ranks until level 7 will go into Bluff, Concentration, Know Arcana, Know Religion, and Spellcraft.
 - Bluff, Know Arcana and Know Religion provide useful synergy bonuses and fit both theme and background.
 - Concentration and Spellcraft are must-haves for any primary caster.

Once I hit Loremaster, my thought process on skill ranks goes like this:
 - Synergy-via-Class skills is win; Local Knowledge for +2 Gather Info, Handle Animal for +2 Ride, Know Nature & Planar & Geography & Dungeoneering for assorted +2 Survival, Architecture for +2 conditional search checks, Nobility for +2 Diplomacy
 - Orwell is a priest of Knowledge, and he is Oghma's bitch, right down to his very soul! Hoarding knowledge (Knowledge skill ranks) should make Orwell salivate and be a high priority.
 - Bluff is always a class skill (thanks to Trickery domain), and needs to be maintained, so he can keep his secrets.

FEATS
Human: Skill Focus - Knowledge (local) --> As part of his "kill thy neighbor" youth, he learned alot about the local area, to hunt victims.
1HD: Scribe Scroll --> Every spell which is a "one day I'll need it" spell should be on a scroll. Period.
3HD: Still Spell --> Casting in a grapple, or while bound, or while holding something in 2 hands. When I pick my metamagic, I pick it based on what spells I can use it on today, as in level 0-1 spells (which become level 1-2 spells).
6HD: Craft Wand --> Every level 0-4 spell you'll want to spam, and don't need alot of caster levels to make useful, should be in a wand. Spells which you'll likely use between 10-50 times in a long time period should also be in a wand. Cure light wounds, Lesser Restoration, Endure Elements, Obscuring Mist, Remove Paralysis, Make Whole, Gentle Repose, etc.
9HD: Quickdraw --> For quick access to wands or scrolls, for full-attack throws (magic stone or javelins). Mixed with a quiver of elhonna and a fist full of wands, this feat explodes your low level spell options at any given time.
12HD: Quicken Spell --> Once again, the economy of actions is priority #1. With 6th level slots, can Quicken any level 0-2 spell... and there aren't many level 1 spells worth using Quicken on anyway, so I think this is good timing.
15HD: Silent Spell --> From ambush, or while in a self-inflicted Silence spell which I would use for stealth (or to screw over an enemy caster)
18HD: Eschew Materials --> This is mostly to complete the VSM disposal trinity, and add the "I'm deadly when I'm naked" concept. If you notice, there are actually a decent number of spells that don't require a holy symbol (such as all Cure and Inflict spells, for a start).

LOREMASTER SECRETS
Level 8 (Clr7/Lrm1) = Instant Mastery (4 ranks in either Diplomacy or Hide) --> Depending on how the game flows (intrigue or dungeonCrawl)
Level 10 (Clr7/Lrm3) = Stamina (+2 Fort) --> Makes up somewhat for Losing Fortitude from the Loremaster class.
Level 12 (Clr7/Lrm5) = Avoidance (+2 Reflex) --> Helps soften the glaring weakness of both the Cleric and Loremaster class.
Level 14 (Clr7/Lrm7) = Applicable Knowledge (feat: Combat Expertise) --> Touch attacks are usually easy to make. Why not get +5 to AC while doing so?
Level 16 (Clr7/Lrm9) = More Newfound Arcana (level 2 slot) --> This needs no justification[/spoiler]

The following things are static, non-moving parts of this character:Oh! One last note. The DM is giving a big hearty stamp of approval that, even though I'm playing an evil alignment, my spontaneous casting is still Cure spells (not Inflict spells). Groovy, no?

So, given what you now know (or cared to read), I'd like to prompt your brain with a few questions:
  • Am I being a putz for trying a Cleric Loremaster build?
  • What are your thoughts on Domain choices for this happy little fellow?
  • If you were to rate this from 1 to 10, with a rating of 1 being pure unfiltered vomit and 10 being "h4x FTW", what would you rate my current idea?
  • What tweaks would you do?
  • How would you redefine this build if you had to play this role?
  • If you were to squeeze Divine Metamagic in there, where would you fit it?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:44:45 PM by malignor »

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
Re: Human NE Cleric of Oghma - Critique & Advise?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Human bonus feat should be something that isn't fail.

Other than that, it's a very vanilla cleric. Which means that, properly played, you win.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »
Needs more Dex for Combat Reflexes.  How do you figure you get +5 AC when making a touch attack out of Combat Reflexes, anyway?

Human bonus feat does fail, but you do need skill focus in a knowledge to get into Loremaster.  Try to pick a better one if you can.

Str and Con you can boost with spells easily enough, and Str in particular won't completely fuck you if it's a little too low.  Wis, on the other hand, can, even if you're not using save-or-lose spells.  (Ever been ambushed by gang of allips that got a surprise round and then beat you on initiative? It's... not fun.)

Those item creation feats are going to be draining your XP constantly if you actually get much use out of them.  Are you sure you want to spend the whole game one or more levels lower than your allies?

EDIT: You seem to want to be a skillmonkey, which is... kinda goofy.  If you're human anyway, you might consider picking up the Able Learner feat, so you can actually invest some ranks in those skills you want to boost with synergy so much.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:47:07 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

malignor

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
Needs more Dex for Combat Reflexes.  How do you figure you get +5 AC when making a touch attack out of Combat Reflexes, anyway?
ACK! I meant Combat Expertise. D'oh!  -_-'
Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.
Those item creation feats are going to be draining your XP constantly if you actually get much use out of them.  Are you sure you want to spend the whole game one or more levels lower than your allies?
If I'm a level lower, I get more XP than my comrades on the split. That's how it rolls at our table, anyway.
Aside from that, it takes 25000gp worth of crafting to burn 1k of XP. That's more gold than a level 4 wand, which I personally would avoid unless it's obviously worthwhile (such as Death Ward or Freedom of Movement). So maybe by level 8 I'll drop down a few thousand XP, but I'll make some of it up over by 20 to the point where it's negligible... I hope :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:51:54 PM by malignor »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »
Unfortunately, this isn't exactly an optimized cleric. Thankfully for you, that shouldn't matter much, as you're still a full spellcaster. Loremaster isn't a bad option, but it isn't the best. I'd say that you should stick with that, so here are my recommendations to optimize your cleric while keeping LM levels.

My recommendations: Drop your Int to 12. (Lose Spellcraft, if you really want Bluff.) Drop your Dex to 10. Raise Wisdom to a 16.

Get the Planning domain instead of Knowledge. (You still have access to Know (Planes), so you can still qualify for Loremaster.) It's thematically appropriate for Oghma (And having appropriate domains is something I find important), and it fufills a Craft or Metamagic feat for Loremaster. Oh, and it gets you on your way to Persist Spell. Instead of Skill Focus: Knowledge (Local), take Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion). You now qualify for Divine Oracle at level 5. Take it for level 6 and 7. Oracle domain fits rather well for this character, and gives a +2CL to divination. It basically replaces the Knowledge domain. Oh, and you get evasion in heavy armour.

So, you now need 2 more craft or metamagic feats for Loremaster. Thankfully, Persistent Spell counts as 1. Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) probably doesn't, but you still have 1 slot. I recommend taking Still Spell out of your choices for entry feats, as I hate spending XP on craft things that won't last forever. As an aside, you should never be using CLW. Use Lesser Vigor. Even at CL1, it heals an average of 11HP. At the same CL, CLW is what, 5?

Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
Since you seem to be looking to be a skill monkey, you should look into the Cloistered Cleric variant in Unearthed Arcana (and in the SRD). It gives up medium and heavy armor proficiency, reduces the BaB to one half (Wizard level), and the hit dice to 1d6 (avg. 1 hp lost per level). In exchange, you get 6 skill points/levels, a Lore ability similar to Bardic Lore (check if it stacks with the one from Loremaster), Knowledge as a bonus domain, and a few extra spells added to your spell list (including a divine, and thus material free, 1st level Identify spell). With the extra domain, you could nab any of the domains that grant a bonus feat to help you out in meeting the Loremaster pre-requisites.

Also, be careful with the skills you get from the Trickery domain. I believe it specifies that its always a Cleric class skill, not for just any class.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

malignor

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Get the Planning domain instead of Knowledge.
Dagnabbit! The Planning domain is available for Gond, Helm, Red Knight, Siamorphe and Ubtao, but not for Oghma. That would have been pure unfiltered win if I could do just that.
Instead of Skill Focus: Knowledge (Local), take Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion). You now qualify for Divine Oracle at level 5. Take it for level 6 and 7. Oracle domain fits rather well for this character, and gives a +2CL to divination. It basically replaces the Knowledge domain. Oh, and you get evasion in heavy armour.
This. This is exactly the sort of stuff I felt was missing. This is an awesome idea. Not only will I take it for levels 6 and 7, but I'll mix up the 10 levels of Loremaster with 5 levels of Divine Oracle (Trap Sense +2, Uncanny Dodge, Divination Enhancement). 20th level outcome would be Clr5/Dvo5/Lrm10.

Excellent. Thanks a bunch.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:25:07 PM by malignor »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
Combat Expertise wants Int 13, so you might have to shuffle points or feats around just a little more, if you do that.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
@Malignor: Drop Loremaster 10. Get Divine Oracle 6. Not able to be Flanked > Legend Lore/Analyze Dweomer 1/day. Hell, go to Divine Oracle 10, and become immune to surprise. Its far better than a bonus language, identify 1/day and 2 secrets.

Unfortunately, if you cannot get the Planning domain, you'll have to deal with no DMM until level 9, if you still want to qualify for Loremaster at 7. I still recommend changing Knowledge. Is Mind available for Oghma? a +2 to Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive untyped will be nice for your Cleric/Skillmonkey. (The recommendation to be a Cloistered Cleric, despite not really fitting with the background, is a really good one.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

malignor

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »
Drop Loremaster 10. Get Divine Oracle 6. Not able to be Flanked > Legend Lore/Analyze Dweomer 1/day. Hell, go to Divine Oracle 10, and become immune to surprise. Its far better than a bonus language, identify 1/day and 2 secrets.
I may not have the right text here, but I read it as Identify at will. Either way, it's true that Immune to Surprise is indeed a very tasty special ability. The question is, do I want to play to cover all the holes in my defenses (DivOracle10) or do I want to max out my utility (Loremaster10)?

One thing that is on my mind is that there is a chance that this game may reach epic. If that happens, I would much prefer a class that is defined in epic levels, and Loremaster has that, while Oracle does not (implied: prove me wrong here).

A little note about Legend Lore, having DMed and played in high level games in the past, I've realized that it's difficult (or impossible) to make Scry infallible, while Legend Lore is the ultimate divination because there is no save, and it can answer questions which can't reliably be answered by any other means; in other words, Legend Lore approaches game-breaking (reveal things the DM wanted hidden) and/or game-saving (DM can put us on track without metagaming) at our table. That said, the Oracle or Knowledge domains, or Loremaster10, provide me this wonderful spell, and it's important that I have it.
Is Mind available for Oghma?
See the links for Oghma in my original post.
Domains include: Charm, Knowledge, Luck, Travel, Trickery, Pride

Travel, while incredibly attractive goes completely against character design (stayed in one city).
Charm has some okay spells, but +4 CHA for 1 minute is blah.
Luck may fit, though I'm a paranoid conservationist and would almost never use the special ability.
Pride is ... the opposite of my character, whose life is defined by shame.
Trickery fits, since my guy is a two-faced serial killer "for the benefit of society"
Knowledge fits, and I could easily browbeat my DM into agreeing that the +1 Divination Caster Level would stack with the +2 from Oracle. That's some nice payoff for overcoming spell penetration or dispel checks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:33:44 PM by malignor »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
Knowledge fits, and I could easily browbeat my DM into agreeing that the +1 Divination Caster Level would stack with the +2 from Oracle.
Shouldn't need to browbeat, that's just the way it works.  Untyped bonuses stack with everything (including other untyped bonuses) except themselves.  And "You cast divination spells at +1 caster level. " doesn't seem to have any type.  Nor does it anchor itself to a specific reference point that the other caster level increase also anchors to, there's no "You cast divination spells at 1 level higher than you actually are" nonsense.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »
Drop Loremaster 10. Get Divine Oracle 6. Not able to be Flanked > Legend Lore/Analyze Dweomer 1/day. Hell, go to Divine Oracle 10, and become immune to surprise. Its far better than a bonus language, identify 1/day and 2 secrets.
I may not have the right text here, but I read it as Identify at will. Either way, it's true that Immune to Surprise is indeed a very tasty special ability. The question is, do I want to play to cover all the holes in my defenses (DivOracle10) or do I want to max out my utility (Loremaster10)?

One thing that is on my mind is that there is a chance that this game may reach epic. If that happens, I would much prefer a class that is defined in epic levels, and Loremaster has that, while Oracle does not (implied: prove me wrong here).

A little note about Legend Lore, having DMed and played in high level games in the past, I've realized that it's difficult (or impossible) to make Scry infallible, while Legend Lore is the ultimate divination because there is no save, and it can answer questions which can't reliably be answered by any other means; in other words, Legend Lore approaches game-breaking (reveal things the DM wanted hidden) and/or game-saving (DM can put us on track without metagaming) at our table. That said, the Oracle or Knowledge domains, or Loremaster10, provide me this wonderful spell, and it's important that I have it.

See, at our table, I'm the only player who uses Divinations. And when I'm not DMing, the DM isn't really prepared enough to make high-level divinations all that useful. He isn't a bad DM, and I love how good he is at improvising things, but he plans his adventures with very little detail. It makes divinations very hard to use effectively. He's getting better about it though. Anyway: Oracle Domain gives you Legend Lore at 6, a level before Knowledge does, at level 11. However, if you're looking for epic advancement, I do not think that Divine Oracle has one. If that is all you're looking for, get Divine Oracle 2, meet an avatar of Oghma and take a level of Contemplative for another domain, and some immunities. Then you have 2 levels to fill with whatever you want.

Travel, while incredibly attractive goes completely against character design (stayed in one city).
Charm has some okay spells, but +4 CHA for 1 minute is blah.
Luck may fit, though I'm a paranoid conservationist and would almost never use the special ability.
Pride is ... the opposite of my character, whose life is defined by shame.
Trickery fits, since my guy is a two-faced serial killer "for the benefit of society"
Knowledge fits, and I could easily browbeat my DM into agreeing that the +1 Divination Caster Level would stack with the +2 from Oracle. That's some nice payoff for overcoming spell penetration or dispel checks.

Oghma has some woderful domains. I know how you feel about the luck reroll, I'm the same way. I'd just go with that, since Knowledge is mostly useless to you if you're going Loremaster. (Although, Charm is still awesome, since you can convert that +4 Cha into more turning attempts for all kinds of things.)