Author Topic: IC - Episode 1: The Arrival  (Read 13318 times)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Re: IC - Episode 1: The Arrival
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
The aburpt change in the conversation's direction to her, started Noxatra. With well hidden surprise she said, "My apologizes, I must have seemed like a spy, eavesdropping as I was. You may call me Noxatra." She gave a slight bow to the aged kobold.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:51 PM »
Meepo waves his hand at the bow.

"Please please no bowing. We are all servants of the Divine. Pray tell us where you hail from and how fare the kobolds in your world?"
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »
Somewhat surprised at the dismissal of her greeting, Noxatra nevertheless answered his questions. After a small pause she continued,
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »
Meepo nods at Noxatra's words in thanks and continues riding silently, deep in thoughts but alert still.

[spoiler]2 CLWs would bring me back to full[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Awkward Map

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »
"And uh... you're bears?" asks a confused-looking Veldor.  "I mean, I've seen bears trained for show before, but none that could talk.  Were you transformed into a bear with magic?" he says, stumbling over the correct words to say to the bear sitting atop a larger bear galloping alongside them.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
Sitting down, Bertha proudly places one paw on her chest and says, "Indeed, I am just a human in the shape of a bear. Bartholomew here, on the other hand," she points to the armored bear, "Is a real bear. And Barry is a human as well. In... human form. What do you mean by a bear 'trained for show', anyway?" To this, the human nods with a friendly smile before mounting the armored bear again. With a short grunt, Bertha twitches her head a little, and her fur starts changing color from brown to white, back again, and repeating. As it does, the scorch marks start vanishing until they are completely gone. Barry takes out a small, polished bone with blue runes carved into it and speaks some words, the wound by his eye starting to heal as well.
"We are officers of Bharrai's Eternal Army of Ruin, a militant organization devoted to the god of bears. Bears were among the first creatures to populate our home world, and we regard them as divine beasts and seek to imitate them." Her voice is deep but kindly, yet her performance in the last battle makes it clear she's not lying. "Kobolds... I've seena  few, but I think mostly they keep to themselves. They're not very popular, but they're found in practically every Age."
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »
Veldor nods as he takes in the explanation given by Bertha.  When she finishes, he comments, "Well not only trained for shows.  The group House Vadalis breeds bears for war as well.  The king of Breland hired them to outfit his cavalry with bears as mounts.  They're a terror to behold, I hear."  Veldor sizes up the bears beside him.  "Like the king of Breland, I'm glad to have the power of bears on our side," he remarks.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 12:21:50 AM »
Meepo laughs as he pats his extra dire weasel.

"A pity we kobolds are not able to harness the power of bears. Like this magically bred weasel here, they're often too big to live in our warrens comfortably. But their strength and power is undeniable."
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2010, 02:51:20 AM »
Noxatra thought to herself.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
As Noxatra ponders and the rest of the team ride on, they feel their headaches intensifying. The thoughts in their heads turn to pain and depravity once again, and putting them from their minds becomes increasingly more difficult with each passing second. They ride on nonetheless, and very soon after, the fiendish apes disappear, returning to wherever they came from.

After several minutes, the team notice what appears to be a dead body up ahead. As they approach to examine it more closely, they see that it is surrounded by bear prints, and appears to have been mauled in a manner consistent with bear attacks. Its clothes, now closer to rags, appear to be of a functional sort, as would be worn by a woodsman or somesuch, and around its neck hangs a large gold necklace, which softly glows blue.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »
Noxatra walks up to the body cautiously, while pulling a pair of intricate spectacles from her bag and putting them on. She whispers a short arcane phrase over the body.

[spoiler]Cast detect magic[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2010, 04:27:40 AM »
As Noxatra approaches the body, she sees the amulet glow gently. As she speaks the arcane words that would form her spell, she suddenly feels the ground under her give way, as the earth ripples out from beneath her feet, outwards to some fifty feet. Before her horrified eyes, the entire area begins to collapse, starting with the centre and spreading outwards, into an inverted pyramid, with what was the 'ground' quickly shattering and becoming a greased slope, leading to a central pit. As the entire group, and their mount, fall or slide towards the centre, their nostrils are violently assaulted by a mixture of rotten flesh and excrement, and once they reach the central pit, they see why - it is full of blood and excrement, which cushions their fall, but not their dignity. As Noxatra looks on, the amulet falls into the mixture and slowly sinks, along with the body it is attached to.

[spoiler]Basically, you all just took 10 falling damage and a massive hit to your collective dignities. The shit pit is 10ft deep, but I think staying afloat in it is no problem. The total depth of the trap from ground level is 50ft (not counting the shit pit), and the sides are both sloped and greased. If anyone still wants to retrieve the amulet, they'll have to dive for it. Have fun.[/spoiler]

For Nick
[spoiler]This is by-the-book kobold work, and it was clearly made by someone with a sense of humour.[/spoiler]

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:36 AM »
Meepo leaps backwards as his wings spread out. Taking a quick spin mid-dive Meepo flaps his wing once and launches himself out of the pit with perhaps only a whiff of what's below.

Muttering a quick spell Meepo replaces his dire dire weasel mount with himself, and joins the rest in the shit pit while his weasel remains safe and dry.

"Hmmm, a bath we are having now hahahaha." laughs the Copperwrought as he produces a sharp whistle.

Hearing it, the dire dire weasel moves to the edge of the slide, uses its flexible body to bend sideways, retrieve a length of silk rope at the side-saddlebag, bites down on one end and drops the other end down.

[spoiler]Got wings, no falling damage for me. I can roll a reflex save to ninja out if you wish. Benign Transposition to swap Meepo with his mount :D[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:40:17 AM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
Before her decent can cause he any harm, Noxatra says a quick word and her velocity slows. While falling she does nothing. "Wonderful..." She moves her hands in the complex patterns of a spell and then swims over the spot corpse fell. Noxatra then starts rising out of the muck slowly, while standing on the corpse. As she rising, she runs her hands over her robes and the muck on them disappears.

[spoiler]Cast Feather fall as a free action to slow fall, Greater floating disc to fly self and corpse out. That is 5 rounds of movement, just incase we are getting ambushed again.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:32:46 PM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
[spoiler]Sohala, again, action economy whut? Dark way costs a standard action, and you certainly wouldn't get that much time before you fell 50ft - that's less than a round! The feather fall is all good, though.

Nick and everyone else - make the save if you like to avoid the shit pit, although given the greased slope's size, don't expect too much.[/spoiler]

Check them both out!

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
After being unceremoniously dumped into the pit, Veldor sighs.  He casts a spell bringing a brilliantly shining hippogriff above his head.  He asks, "Could you get me out of here?"

The hippogriff lowers a foot towards him, trying not to get splashed by the refuse.  After mounting up, it makes its way to the top and deposits him.  "I was hoping to preserve more of my spells... ah well.  Any idea of who was responsible for this mess?"

He works his hands over his outfit, dissipating the muck that covers them.  "Check the area to see if there are any fiendish creatures lurking," commands the now clean young summoner.  The hippogriff flies off into the woods to scout for more enemies.

[spoiler]
Because reflex to not fall in a pit. (1d20+9=21)
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
Among the humor and indignity, one little detail remains overlooked - where are the thousand-pound bears? It doesn't remain overlooked for long, however, as it's hard to miss the behinds of the two aforementioned bears swiftly sliding downwards as they desperately try to hold on to the slick walls. To no avail, however, and the two bears make a sonorous splash as they land in the waste matter butt first, much to the dismay of anyone still in there. Barry, mounted on the armored bear, avoids landing in the cess pool - not that there is much room with two brown bears occupying it - but is still splattered with a good amount of excrement. Bertha growls, "Add more insult to insult, will they? I've had quite enough of this devil lord."
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 12:39:06 AM »
Upon being dragged out of the cesspool by his mount. Meepo conjured a huge deluge of water to flush himself clean.

"Devil's work, this is not. To humiliate though, the purpose is. Expected, we are."

Taking another good look at the trap, Meepo sighs.

"Look like kobold work, it does. Textbook methods, this is. Not sure if it is kobolds, however." continues the ancient Copperwrought as he takes out a rod of adamantium with mithril tracings around inlays of gold and platinum and a spellshard at the tip.

"Prepare for an encounter, we are expected." warns Meepo.

[spoiler] Readying an action to cast an empowered lightning admix acid lightsaber at the sign of a combat encounter.
Leading the Charge stance.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:43:34 AM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2010, 09:05:22 AM »
Soundtrack change

[spoiler]Perception checks opposed by their Stealth. As they are in larger surroundings, it makes their hiding easier. Their result: 1d20+12=23, 1d20+12=18. None of you have results good enough to see this one coming, so they surprise-round you.[/spoiler]

As Meepo readied his magical weapon, none could see the deadly team of kobolds up in the trees nearby. Garbed in black and green uniforms, they looked on, seeing the pathetic large folk struggle. They did not make a sound, nor did they cause even a single stick to snap under their light weights. They looked on, quietly, secretly... like they had been trained to.

They did not expect a kobold, however, and such a venerable one, either. Looks of hesitation crossed their eyes briefly - the Commander never told them about this! They must abort - the operation is compromised!

At the same time, however, their leader gave them all a stern, but silent, look. No compromise. The operation continues. With that, they unfurled their wings and descended, one of them carrying bags in their clawed hands, while another held a vial of red liquid which shimmered a little. The last two, bladed whips drawn and shields readied, were descending faster, aiming straight for Meepo.

Their descent was rapid, and silent, barring a loud, fast whoosh. As they approached, descending on their wings, they screamed "For Belial! Down with the disobedient! Kurik lives!". No sooner than they uttered it, the two bags were turned inside out, unleashing a torrent of oil on all those caught in the trap. The oil hardly had time to descend as the remaining kobold threw his vial into the mixture, and as it opened, the entire torrent caught fire, unleashing a huge blast with a deafening roar and a mighty shockwave, sending waves of fire over all those inside the trap. While Meepo was fortunate to escape, he was not too fortunate, for the remaining kobolds dove toward him full-speed, fully intent on ripping into him with the utmost savagery, reminiscent of a bear or a lion.

[spoiler]In essence, you guys were attacked by one of these, which proceeded to drop one of these on your collective asses. Meepo, being clear of the trap, avoids it (but has the unenviable counter-problem of being facecharged). The rest of you get a Reflex save for half the fire damage (20 normally), another one to avoid being knocked down by the shockwave (back into the sewage), and a Fort save for everyone (kobolds included!) to not go deaf. DC 17 for everything, by the way.

To make matters a little more sane, I'll roll all of these for each of you. As I have stunted this, you roll twice and take the one I like - which will nearly always be the lowest.

Noxatra: Save for fire - 1d20+12=16, 1d20+12=27, so fail; save for knockdown - 1d20+12=32, 1d20+12=22, so pass; save not to go deaf - 1d20+13=16, 1d20+13=28, so fail. End result - 20 fire damage and she's deaf until further notice.

Veldor: Save for fire (not like you care) - 1d20+9=11, 1d20+9=28, so fail; save for knockdown - 1d20+9=15, 1d20+9=12, so fail; save not to go deaf - 1d20+15=19, 1d20+15=24, so pass.
End result - 20 fire damage and he's off his mount, and back in the sewage. Oh, and he's prone. As a result, you take 10 falling damage again.

Veldor's Hippygriph: Save for fire (ouch) - 1d20+5=6, 1d20+5=8, so fail; save for knockdown - 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=11, so fail; save to not go deaf - 1d20+6=26, 1d20+6=9, so fail.
End result - 20 fire damage, and the hippiegriph is right behind you in the shithole. And is prone. As a result, it takes 10 falling damage, which I believe makes it disabled. Oh, and it's deaf, in case it matters.

Barry (oh boy, I shall enjoy this): Save for fire - 1d20+4=17, 1d20+4=6, so fail; save for knockdown - 1d20+4=11, 1d20+4=14, so fail; save not to go deaf - 1d20+8=17, 1d20+8=24, so pass.
End result - 20 fire damage, and Barry is prone in the shit.

Bertha: Save for fire - 1d20+10=22, 1d20+10=16, so fail; save for knockdown - 1d20+10=28, 1d20+10=28, so pass; save not to go deaf - 1d20+16=31, 1d20+16=19, so pass.
End result - 20 fire damage, and not much else.

Meepo: Save not to go deaf - 1d20+13=18, 1d20+13=31, so pass.

Meepo's dire weasel: Save not to go deaf - 1d20+3=7, 1d20+3=18, so he's deaf until further notice.

Kobolds - Saves not to go deaf - 1d20+9=13, 1d20+9=23; 1d20+9=23, 1d20+9=29; 1d20+9=13, 1d20+9=21; and 1d20+9=18, 1d20+9=11; hence, all pass. No deafness![/spoiler]

As the two kobolds dove toward Meepo, all hesitation was gone from their eyes. They directed their fall to land either side of him, ready to strike. One aimed for a powerful strike to Meepo's eyes with his whip, aiming to cut right across his face, while the other aimed for his ankles, seeking to take him down to kneel before them.

[spoiler]Meepo is getting double-teamed by the combo of Rabid Wolf Strike and Punishing Stance. This means I get +3d6 damage and +4 to hit. They're both using spinning swords, so they're actually 5ft clear. Gotta love reach! Stunting, of course, but not flanking - I'm not that mean.

Face-beater: 1d20+17=34, 1d20+17=36, so threat. Roll to confirm: 1d20+17=22, so no, just a normal. Damage: 4d6+4=16.

Ankle-beater: 1d20+17=21, 1d20+17=21, hence, epic fail. Oh well.

All of them now have -6 AC till the end of next turn. Joy to the world.[/spoiler]

Initiatives for everyone
[spoiler]To speed this along, I'll roll initiatives for you all. 1d20+3=11 for Noxatra, 1d20+1=11 for Barry, 1d20+3=7 for Bertha, 1d20+3=9 for Veldor, 1d20+5=20 for Meepo, and 1d20+8=21 for the kobolds. Since Barry's the underdog (or under-bear), I'll let him go before Noxatra.

Thus, the order:

• Kobolds
  • Meepo
  • Barry
  • Noxatra
  • Veldor
  • Bertha

Which means the kobolds get yet another turn of actions right after this. Nick requested a re-dice of his initiative via IM, so here it goes: 1d20+5=11. So thus, the order is changed numerically, but not in terms of who goes when.[/spoiler]

Seeing the shock and awe of the group, the kobolds immediately take to the air again, aiming to fly back to the trees.

[spoiler]The kobolds all make withdraw actions. The two that went for Meepo are 60ft up, and the others are 100ft up, and all are heading for the trees.[/spoiler]

Check them both out!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
Meepo backflips to avoid the lash about to lay his throat open, escaping with a torn open cheek as he jumps onto the blade cutting for his feet and rides the lasher's own momentum into the sky, wings spread to catch the wind. The kobolds behind him stare, mouths agape as he somersaulted above the leader who disgraced his kind, blade blazing in a vicious downstroke that clove through metal and flesh alike.
"Strike at kin, should not. Punished, must be."

OOC:
[spoiler]
Granted: Battle Leader's Charge, Douse the Flames, Vanguard's Strike

Use Battle Leader's Charge(+10dmg) + Leading the Charge(+5dmg)
+16 melee touch 2d12 acid + 2d12 elec +empower (x1.5) +24)
Leading the Charge(Lightsaber Edition) (1d20+17=27, 2d12=14, 2d12=7)
Stunt (1d20+17=23)
To hit: 27
Damage 21(acid) + 10(elec) +24(acid/elec)=55

Curr hp: 47/63
Standing in for Nick till hes back.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:42:07 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."