Author Topic: Optimal Large Race, and Maximizing Unarmed Damage...  (Read 6913 times)

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Optimal Large Race, and Maximizing Unarmed Damage...
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »
Nope, it's 3.  Otherwise you wouldn't get that second damage bump.  And trust me, that damage bump is key, it can increase your damage by a full 8d8.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 10:50:50 PM »
Only thing is that you have to sleep outside and hunt or beg for your own food.

You missed the humor.

Fist =/= First.

Anyways, Ring of Sustenance?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
Nope, it's 3.  Otherwise you wouldn't get that second damage bump.  And trust me, that damage bump is key, it can increase your damage by a full 8d8.

Whoops. I had read it as 1d8 for all 3 levels.

So it's either a 1 level or a 3 level class. Taking just 2 levels would be like taking 3 levels of fighter.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »
iirc level 2 gets you Uncanny Dodge and Untamed Strike.  Untamed Strike isn't all that great, but UD is pretty nice.  So it's like taking wizard 6.  Still gets you more good stuff, just not as good as it can be (another spell level).
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »
Untamed Strike isn't all that great...
Depends.  Did you read the whole ability?  If you are facing off against incorporeal foes, one Magic Fang spell makes you the best able to deal consistent damage to said foe.

You missed the humor.

Fist =/= First.

*Facepalm*
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »
It's better than Ki Strike, that's for sure, but I didn't see anything about free Ghost Touch if you just give yourself an enhancement bonus somehow.  Way I read it, just making your body magical has the exact same effect.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
Ah, but you get to apply such things in the most beneficial way possible.  Thus, if your unarmed strikes become magical, the untamed strike then shifts to greater ghost touch mode.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »
Lesser Ghost Touch isn't an item property as far as I know.  The only place I have seen it is in this class, and it's not a bonus or anything, it just makes your US treated as a magic weapon for the purposes of striking incorporeal.  So applying magic first would let you...strike incorporeal as a magic weapon.  Yipee?

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
*Facepalm*

We really need the *facepalm* smiley in the small list.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 07:19:41 PM »
So applying magic first would let you...strike incorporeal as a magic weapon.  Yipee?
Wrong.  A magic weapon gives you a 50% chance to deal damage to the incorporeal foe (as opposed to no chance with a non-magic weapon), and a 50% chance to deal no damage to the incorporeal foe.  The ability granted by Untamed Strike means you always deal at least half damage, if not full damage.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:22 PM »
Ah, I see.  It's still not all that big though.  Given the very small number of incorporeal foes, and the even smaller still number of incorporeal foes that will let you melee them.  And I say just get a Truedeath Crystal.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »
And I say just get a Truedeath Crystal.
Can you use such crystals with unarmed strikes?

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 11:52:35 PM »
Well, they ARE weapons...

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 12:57:47 PM »
Seems like it would fall under the clause concerning a Monk's unarmed strikes being considered both manufactured and natural weapons for purposes of enhancements, no?  Now, mind you, embedding the crystals could be painful.  I suppose he could wear one in a pinky ring.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
What about those wraps martial artists use? Couldn't he slip one in there?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »