Author Topic: Optimal Large Race, and Maximizing Unarmed Damage...  (Read 6912 times)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Optimal Large Race, and Maximizing Unarmed Damage...
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
What race would give the most benefits(including large size or powerful build) for the smallest LA?
Also, does powerful build effect unarmed damage? It gives most of the benefits of being large, so I assume it would.

What items, feats, templates, and spells would maximize unarmed strike attacks & damage for a monk?
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: Optimal Large Race, and Maximizing Unarmed Damage...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
My advice is a Half-Minotaur anything Medium. Probably Dwarf, Orc, or Mongrelfolk. Orcs and Mongrelfolk have significant mental penalties, but one gives +4 Str and the other gives +4 Con. Make either one Dragonborn, except you're going for Monk and so probably want Dex (although you could always PrC into Fist of the Forest or Stonewarden or both). You'll have +1 LA, but Large size and (using the Mongrelfolk as an example), +12 Str, +12 Con, -4 Dex, -4 Int, -4 Cha. A higher AC character would lose Dragonborn for -2 Con, +2 Dex, and +4 Natural armor, among other things.

That might be a bit over the top, though.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »
No sane DM is going to allow the half-minotaur for only a LA +1.

Personally I'd say it's a toss up between Golaith and Half-Ogre. I prefer half-ogre personally because it can take the Human Heritage feat and benefit from Enlarge Person, becoming huge sized with only a 1st level spell.

And no powerful build doesn't increase unarmed strike damage by RAW, though it would hardly be gamebreaking if it did.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »
Why doesn't powerful build increase unarmed damage?  I thought it did.  Honest question.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

blargney the second

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Hot Swing
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »
If you use the half-minotaur as written in the article, it might slip under a DM's radar.  If you throw on the MM size alterations like some people interpret it will never fly.

Personally I'd go with a changeling half-minotaur and work in some Warshaper love.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:22:14 PM »
Hm, you're right. Warshaper is most tasty, especially considering the +4 to both Str and Con. Also, I'd agree with not applying the MM adjustments for balance reasons. The template just explicitly says to, is all. I'd put it at +2 or maybe very low +3 with them.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
Yeah, it's not so much an "interpretation" as it is the template screaming "DO DIS NAO!!"

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »
Why doesn't powerful build increase unarmed damage?  I thought it did.  Honest question.

Unarmed damage is calculated off your base size. Powerful build merely lets you be treated as 1 size larger for a very specific list of abilities which are clearly listed out in the respective entries, and unarmed strike damage is not one of them. So you are still your original size with regards to unarmed strike damage.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

blargney the second

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Hot Swing
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:43:14 PM »
*laugh*

OMG, I didn't realize that line in Size and Type referred to the stat bits!  I thought it was just for space/reach.  Bruuuuutal.  That's what I get for making assumptions!  Even so, 50%minos are nasty business even without that table.

I've been thinking of making a half-mino changeling dungeoncrasher build for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
Aha!  My build of doom for unarmed damage strikes!  All of the important bits can be garnered through here.  Basically, you can get a max of colossal damage through Greater Mighty Whallop, which can be done from a small size or larger, larger sizes just cut down on the wand cost (and CL).  Fist of the Forest 3+Initiate of Draconic Mysteries 8 give you 4 dice increases.  7 effective monk levels+SUS+Monk's Belt+Monk's Tattoo get you 20th level monk damage, the method of gaining 7 effective levels is open.  Unfortunately INA won't stack with this, or else you could increase it beyond 36d8, nor will just about any other dice increase method I have found (they all increase effective size, which won't stack, and even if they did, colossal is the largest size, even if you increase it beyond that it won't do more damage without a HR).
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:28 AM »
Funny how a half mino has on average +4 strength over a full mino eh? :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
Must be some sort of hybrid vigor effect. Or somesuch.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »
I once built my little brother a Half Minotaur Goliath using the MM stat adjustments.  The DM let him play but gave me a few dirty looks when he outdamaged the whole party by several times.  Huge Keen Jovar didn't help either.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »
Well, it's not quite what you're looking for, but I've been futzing with this:

Changeling

Wildshape Ranger 5/Monk 4/Master of Many Forms 7/Fist of the Forest 4

Add in Ascetic Hunter, and fight in War Troll form (which, since you're a Changeling, looks just like you, only bigger.)

Alternately, use Cave Troll form and mix and match unarmed strikes and natural weapons.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Isn't First of the Forest 3 levels long?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 06:01:14 PM »
Yes.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
First of the Forest eh? Is that like George of the Jungle? (watch out for that tree!)
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »
First of the Forest eh? Is that like George of the Jungle? (watch out for that tree!)
It's like one of the best and coolest PrC's for unarmed combat (other than Shou Disciple).  Gain Full BAB, Good Fort and Ref saves, increased unarmed damage, Con to AC, a rage-like ability that grants +4 Dex and a bite attack, scent.  It's awesome.

Only thing is that you have to sleep outside and hunt or beg for your own food.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »

Yep.  What I get for kludging builds in my head without my books handy.  Version 1.1:

Wildshape Ranger 5/Monk 4/Master of Many Forms 7/Fist of the Forest 2/Warshaper 2

BAB: +16
Fort: +20
Ref: +17
Will: +8

Unarmed damage winds up being 3d8, if I'm doing the math right...not too shabby.