Author Topic: The Spellcaster  (Read 4391 times)

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: The Spellcaster
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:51 PM »
First, you can't use your feats from being a human or going up in level to select bonus feats from the generic class's list. Secondly thirdly how does acid splatter bump sneak attack up to 23d6?
thats debateable .... for the sake of Argument ... say we didnt do that.... it really wouldnt affect the build much.... the adjustments are as follows:

Human
Generic Spellcaster 10/ Arcane Trickster 10

feats:
Versatile Spellcaster(human Bonus)
Sneak Attack(2d6)(Generic Bonus)
1st lvl: Heighten Spell
3rd lvl: Acidic Splatter(Reserve)
5th lvl: Trapsense(Generic Bonus)
6th lvl:
9th lvl:
10th lvl: Improved Sneak Attack(+3d6)(Generic bonus)
12th lvl:
15th lvl:
18th lvl:

Full Spellcasting progression + 10d6 Sneak Attack with Ranged touch Attacks(Acidic Splatter = 9d6 each) = 19d6 Sneak Attack

combine with Polymorph+ Kelvezu Form = 18d6 Sneak Attack + 9d6 Acidic Splatter = 27d6 Sneak Attacks

Acidic Splatter will do 9d6 ... per attack... since you will have a 9th lvl Spell Slot available.... since the feat says"you can throw an orb of acid as a ranged touch attack" ... thus you gain itterative attacks

:D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:51:02 PM by carnivore »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
since the feat says"you can throw an orb of acid as a ranged touch attack" ... thus you gain itterative attacks

... oh dear lord. Why haven't I ever thought about that?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
its been known for a long time back on 339

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
Doesn't work.  Supernatural abilities are a standard action to activate unless otherwise noted.  Acidic Splatter has no note saying it's anything but a standard.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 06:09:26 PM »
although it can be debated that a different interpretation suggests that you gain "an Attack" with a Supernatural ability.... even if that was not the case.... still it makes a Nice Attack that is Not Subject to SR and you dont provoke AoOs with it

ACIDIC SPLATTER [RESERVE]
You can channel magical energy into orbs of acid.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 2nd-level spells.
Benefit: As long as you have an acid spell of 2nd level or
higher available to cast, you can throw an orb of acid as a
ranged touch attack.
The attack has a range of 5 feet per level
of the highest-level acid spell you have available to cast and
deals ld6 points of damage per level of that acid spell.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus
to your caster level when casting acid spells.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 07:56:46 PM »
You make a ranged touch attack.  That is how you tell if it hits them or not, just like a Disintegrate spell or an Orb spell.  It is not the action that the ability uses (so it defaults to a standard, as a supernatural ability).  It's pretty clear.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »
Full attacking with an acid touch attack that doesn't allow SR would be pretty nice, but it does look pretty obvious that you don't get to do that with Acidic Splatter.  Pity.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
Full attacking with an acid touch attack that doesn't allow SR would be pretty nice, but it does look pretty obvious that you don't get to do that with Acidic Splatter.  Pity.
Nope.  You're stuck with using flasks of acid instead (which get the benefit of splash damage and being completely nonmagical at the cost of more damage and gold)

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »
If I wanted to spend money on killing I'd just convert my WBL to cp and drop it on the guy's house while he's home. :P
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
If I wanted to spend money on killing I'd just convert my WBL to cp and drop it on the guy's house while he's home. :P
Genius.  I will go steal that idea now.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:31 PM »
although it can be debated that a different interpretation suggests that you gain "an Attack" with a Supernatural ability.... even if that was not the case.... still it makes a Nice Attack that is Not Subject to SR and you dont provoke AoOs with it

No debate, it's quite clear:

Quote from: Complete Mage, p.37 top left corner
Each reserve feat's primary benefit is a supernatural ability
usable at will. Unless stated otherwise, it requires a standard
action to activate and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Also the three generic class features add up to 9d6 sneak attack, not 10d6. Also a Kelevu's form can't be assumed by polymorph, since polymorph can't do outsiders, you can use shapechange though. MM2 says a Kelevu's sneak attack only works on melee attacks, so it's a no go in the end. The text for the generic classes states that a class feature can only be choosen in place of one of their (class granted) bonus feats, so there is no debate about a human being able to stock up on extra class features in place of a feat.

So your Generic Caster/Arcane Trickster does 14d6 sneak attack and 9d6 acid damage per round. If you hit. Which makes a Fighter look like a god and a Monk look adequate. I don't know why you always end your posts with a big smile :D , if my posts where as full of errors I'd be sad :(