Author Topic: Conan RPG - What do I need to know?  (Read 1959 times)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
Conan RPG - What do I need to know?
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »
It's a recent d20 one. I'm mostly familiar with 3.5 DnD. It's under consideration, and it seems interesting enough. Has anyone played? What are the big differences vs. 3.5? ( I expect to end up DMing, again. )

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Conan RPG - What do I need to know?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
All I know about Conan RPG is what is best in life (which, incidentally, carries over to D&D, too).

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women, of course.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
Know that should you be unable to find out the riddle of steel, Crom will cast you from his mountain.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
Okay, some peachy keens:
- I already mentioned the tons of new things to do in combat
- Every character with full BAB starts with TWF, which works without penalties if off-hand is light
- Everyone effectively gets Spring Attack by default - you can use your std. action attack and move as you like before and after.
- Not sure if it's so by default, but fighting defensively is a standard action. (attack roll with penalties, AC increased 'til next turn)
- All weapon damages are very different. A greatsword deals 1d10+1d8 damage, for an example.
- Every character can finesse by default, in which case they don't add their STR against armor DR - instead if they roll enough to beat defense+DR, they ignore armor DR. I'm really liking it's dodge and dr system so far.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »
Conan was really fun.

It's basically d&d 3.5 without magic.  Overall a blast.  Bonuses for staying in your class, which only makes sense.

For big differences, there aren't many, really.  The CR of encounters is a lot trickier in Conan because encounters tend to be a lot deadlier.

Also, the Fate Point system is neat.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »
It really is.  It makes your "Barbaric" character actually stay in "Barbarian", and rewards him for it.  A definite house-rule in my games scooped up a la Conan.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
Ditto - although I was wrong about the 15th. Being a setting+rules, all races of men also get an additional set of favored skills - they start the game with two ranks in those skills whether or not they are class skills. They also get some racial +2 bonuses to certain things, so with 2 ranks and a +2, cimmerians effectively start at +4 climb - +5 if you count the STR bonus.

Oh! oh, and skills - cross class still costs 2 points -- BUT bonus points from high INT score can be placed wherever you like and max ranks for ALL skills is level +3.

druid 13

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
I'm running a pbp Conan game that i went and converted to 3.5 ed. It's going pretty good, I just used some variant rules to nerf casters, and allowed pretty much all the books. The only problem I'm having is that one of the players is using a TOB character and the others are using normal balanced characters. I wish that more people had the books for Conan rpg, cuase it sure would have been more fun.  :P

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 03:47:49 AM »
Hmmm. I always thought the Conan of the books was a high level Rogue...
BG's other resident furry!

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
Barbarian, rogue, fighter.... There's been extensive analysis, and in DnD, he'd be something like Barb 6/Rogue 2/Ftr 2, perhaps. With ToB, replace fighter with Warblade.

He doesn't really do much rogue stuff - climb et al are class skills for barbarians, too. It could be that his 'rogue' career is in fact an urban ranger.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »
Well, he's certainly an int based and skill based character, though... not stupid at all.. I mean seriously, did he ever in the *actual books*, actually do something that could be considered a Rage?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:45:35 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
I think so, yes... albeit rarely.

It's not like human is int-penalized race or that a Barbarian doesn't NEED Int. That being said, Conan wasn't a typical example in any case- no 25 point buy here, he probably had quite a few sixteens and probably a positive score in every stat.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
I think so, yes... albeit rarely.

It's not like human is int-penalized race or that a Barbarian doesn't NEED Int. That being said, Conan wasn't a typical example in any case- no 25 point buy here, he probably had quite a few sixteens and probably a positive score in every stat.

So some mix of (pick a few of these) Rogue, (Nonspellcasting variant) Ranger, Warblade, Fighter, Barbarian maybe?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:22:58 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »
OT: So tell me about your icon..