Author Topic: Leviathan: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Battle System  (Read 13624 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:11:53 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
Re: Leviathan: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Battle System
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 05:22:42 AM »
hi Tetsubo.  Sorry I haven't updated this in a bit it's been a godawful couple weeks.  I'll have the rest of the races done up soon.

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
hi Tetsubo.  Sorry I haven't updated this in a bit it's been a godawful couple weeks.  I'll have the rest of the races done up soon.

Groovy. We all have lives mate.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 05:17:26 AM »
Hey Tetsubo, do you know if Earthpower ever came out in any form?

Also, about the desert nomads: Peeking through the book I cant find anyhing on them, and my notes make a brief mention of them, which means they were probably mentioned just once somewhere.  Do you still want me to go for it, or move on?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »
while I await your thoughts on the Nomads I'll get a head start on teh Dwarves.

DWARVES

"No one ever got anywhere by trusting an Elf.  We did. Look what it brought us?"

Dwarves are short but still massive humanoids whose heads barely reach a mans chest even though they easily exceed his weight in muscle and bone.  They prefer to wear their hair an beards long.

DWARF RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 20
 Alchemist: +2d4
 Iron Hammer, Seeker: +3d6
 Technomancer, Engineer: +4d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 50
 Old: 75
 Venerable: 100
 Maximum Age: +5d20 years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 3'9" Female: 3'7"
 Height Modifier: +2d4"
 Base Weight: Male: 150lbs.   Female: 110 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x (2d6) lbs.

DWARF CHARACTERS
 If you want access to technology, a Dwarf is your only real choice.  They pretty much have a lock on it.  Also, if you want to play Heavy Infantry of some sort, the Dwarves are renowned for theirs.  On the downside you'll be asked to test out new inventions which may explode in your face.
 Adventuring Race: Dwarves rarely venture from their Holds without desperate cause.  Should an Artifact related to Chaos arise nearby, or some sort of monsters or demons set up camp, they will venture out, but not for any other reason.  Generally Dwarves who are adventuring are cast out, on orders from their military or Guild, testing out some new device, or have been cut off and gotten lost and are unsure how to get home.
 Character Development: You're a walking tank.  Make use of that if you can.  Regardless of class you're used to wearing fairly heavy armor, so even in less than military classes you can still walk around fairly well protected.
 Character Names: Male: Abjorn, Agnarr, Arnbjorn, Austbjorn, Balli, Beggi, Finnbjorn, Freybjorn, Gamli, Gilli, Halmi, Hogunn, Jarngrimr. Female: Aesa, Alfrun, Berghildr, Borghildr, Edda, Evja, Finna, Freydis, Frida, Frosthildr, Grima, GUnnhildr, Sigunnr. Surnames: Dwarves generally use their Clan Name as  their Surname.

ROLEPLAYING A DWARF
 The Elves held you down for years,  You always knew their rule would end like this.  They stifled Dwarven creativity and development not to prevent you from creating something too dangerous like they claimed, but to prevent you from interfering with their far more dangerous experiments.  The world above is ruined, and it can be only so long before the Demons come seeking you in your underground realms as well. 
 Personality: Dwarves are stubborn due to years of Elven interference in their culture.  They will not willingly break an Oath, and those who do are considered cursed unless they repent by giving their own lives in battle.  They know they will need the aid of the other races to overcome the Demons, but after so many years of warring with the Humans and Orcs they have too many wounds to overcome prejudices easily. 
 Behaviors: Dwarves are always tinkering, always trying to make things better or different.  They are also paranoid to a fault, and very socially conservative despite their innovative minds.
 Language: The Dwarven tongue is generally similar to Old Norse.

DWARF SOCIETY
 Occupation in Dwarven society is hereditary, an each occupation has it's Guild.  You don't choose your job, you're born to it.  Each Guild elects a Master, who is their representative in Parliament.  The Grand master of Parliament represents the Dwarves to the outside world.  He is also the only one he secret police report to.  Dwarven society appears democratic, but this is an illusion.  Every Guild has the same vote and sway in Parliament regardless of how many members it has, or even if it's obsolete.  Dwarves are expected to spend 1 year in 5 in the Guard, the militia defending the Dwarfholds.  This ensures virtually all Dwarves have at least some form of military training in case of attack.
 Alignment : Dwarves care mostly about protecting their own, and as such have a strong tendency towards Neutrality.  They also obsess over rules and regulations, and are therefore usually a Lawful society as well.
 Lands : Dwarves prefer to dwell in underground cities carved from the rock in high mountain passes which are difficult or inaccessible (and therefore easy to defend).
 Settlements : Dwarves rarely settle, but if so it must be mountainous terrain, or some other easily defended area they can tunnel in.  The soil must also be able to support their fungi crops, and the water must be potable and have enough oxygen to raise the blind cave fish they eat.
 Beliefs : The Dwarves worship The Source, an impersonal manifestation of the grand design of the Universe.  It has no representation and has never manifested, and only the Dwarves truly believe in it.  Also worshiped is Mekanizur, the Machine God.  Mekanizur is also largely worshiped only by Dwarves, but some Templars may provide him with prayers as well.
 Relations: Elves thwarted Dwarven invention and technological advancement for years.  Between that and the wars, and the Fallen, they despise the Elves.  Since humans tend to be the Elves preferred military force (being more easily manipulated than Dwarves) they aren't fond of them either.  They don't like the Orcs and Goblins as they have fought many wars with them, but seem to have a grudging respect for their toughness.

DWARF ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:13:13 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 12:56:52 AM »
Dwarf Racial traits are up.  I'm thinking LA +0

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »
Most of the fluff is up.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »
I was just looking over these again and it looks much more balanced now, except that the dark elves are strictly superior to light elves. Reduce or remove the dark elf skill bonus in echange for the bite+ attack unless the taint subtype is going to carry serious repocusions.
Strong caster is very powerful, definitely a +2 LA race.

Give dwarves something to compensate for not being able to get magic, unless you are redoing the base classes the entire set of base classes that I can think of that do not get magical abilities are the fighter, the rouge, and some NPC classes (commoner, expert, warrior, etc). And even they can get it through feats.

A +4 on saves vs those abilities (su, sp or spell) might work or SR that scales with HD, since SR also has some drawbacks. Maybe SR = HD + 8? Somewhere between +5 and +10 I would think, and I would err on the high side since it also prevents buffs being cast on the dwarf unless they use an action to lower their SR.

No clue if this meshes with the setting since i am unfamiliar with the setting.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 01:45:03 AM »
Taint will be carrying some repercussions.

I won't be using any of the Base Classes.  If you peek at the bottom of each race it lists what Base Classes and PrC's are available to each of them.

Will look over the Dwarves some more to see if there's any abilities I missed.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 04:09:51 AM »
I just got a ton of stuff dumped on me this week (not all of it bad for a change).  Lemme get caught up in real life and I'll get this fired back up).

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 02:23:04 AM »
Dwarves are re tweaked and done.  They're the only race with tanks, guns, and spell eating engines so hopefully their tech (and the supporting classes) will make up for their lack of magic.

ORCS

Orcs are tall, powerfully muscled humanoid brutes with leathery brownish-red hide.  They have two upstanding fangs jutting from their lower jaw, and vestigial claws they can use as a last ditch method of self defense.

ORC RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 14
 Gorath's Chosen, Great Orc: +1d4
 Necrodon Rider, Orc Warrior: +1d6
 Shaman: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 30
 Old: 45
 Venerable: 60
 Maximum Age: +2d10 years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 5'  Female: 4' 7"
 Height Modifier: +2d8"
 Base Weight: Male: 150   Female: 115
 Weight Modifier: X2d6 lbs.

ORC CHARACTERS
 If you want to be a tough melee brute who gets by on anger and sheer ferocity, that's what the Orc is for.  They're also good for characters wanting to have Animal Companions or fight while mounted and they have a wider experience with nature than many of the other races.
 Adventuring Race: Orcs go on adventures at the whim of their God, their military, revenge, or because they feel the need to prove themselves by killing something.  Money and glory are occasional reasons, but slaughter is more often their goal.
 Character Development: Orcs prize success above all else.  How you achieve that success, or what you achieve it in doesn't matter just as long as you're the best you can be.  Failure is not tolerated.  So if you follow the tenets of your society you will likely be specializing in something. Character Names: Male: Ari, Gevorg, Hagop, Krikor, Vahan.   Female: Anam, Arax, Hourig, Maral, Takouhi.    Surnames: Orcish surnames depend on what tribe they belong to.

ROLEPLAYING AN ORC
 Forced into the swamps behind the Ironwall Mountains, the Elves gave your race the short end of things from the beginning.  While other races were allowed to prosper as their servants or allies, you were forced to live in a horrifying miasma of steppe and swamp filled with disease, monsters, and absolute terror.  But now that your God has returned he will lead you to victory over the Elves and their Demon allies.  It is your birthright.
 Personality: Orcs are brutal, and care only for strength, power, and success.  How this success is achieved does not matter, and you bow your head to no one unless he is stronger than you.  Even then you only bow until you have a way of defeating him.  Your race deserves to rule the world after what it has endured, and the other races are food for the horde.
 Behaviors: Orcs are basically racist religious fanatics.  Their society has few laws, and anyone who wrongs you is your responsibility if you want justice or revenge for the most part.  This means Orcs try to be as intimidating and self reliant as possible.
 Language: The Orc language is very similar to Mongolian.

ORC SOCIETY
 Orc society is obsessed with power.  The most rich and powerful Orcs have the largest herds of riding beasts as Orcs have traditionally been a cavalry based military, and wealth is based on how many beasts one owns.  Orcs are ruled by a Khan who rules over 10-100 tribes at any given time.  Each of these tribes has 5-10 warbands, each of which has 5-10 warriors plus their wives, children, and beasts.  There are very few crimes in Orc society, and if someone steals from you or harms you in some way it's up to you to exact retribution.  There are only two real crimes: treason and cowardice.  Anyone betraying the Orc nation is fed to the warbeasts (or maybe a vengeful mob).  Cowards are fed to the Goblins as Orcs believe that you retain some of the attributes of what you eat, and none of them want to be tainted with cowardice.
 Alignment : Orcs tend towards Chaos as they have very few real laws, and Evil since they are one of the most brutal societies the world had ever seen until the coming of the Demons.
 Lands : The Orcs live in the Barren Steppes, a wasteland of swamps, wide rivers, and barren plains.  Disease, monsters, and powerful storms are common.
 Settlements : The Orcs would like to settle the entire world, but so far they can only claim hold to the Steppes.
 Beliefs : The Orcs are fanatical in their worship of Gorath, their racial Deity.  Some believe he is the fifth Prince of the Fallen, while others believe he is indeed a God.  For whatever reason, he appears able to shield his chosen ones from the other Demons.
 Relations: Orcs despise the other races.  The Goblins and Lesser Goblins are their slaves, and are eaten if times are difficult (Orcs view cannibalism as acceptable if all other beings have already been devoured before hand).  Dwarves. Humans, and Elves are considered delicacies (although some find the Elves to be unacceptable now due to their changes).  Members of other races can earn an Orcs respect by being a powerful foe, and they may even achieve some minor role in Orc society if useful, assuming they aren't eaten or slaughtered immediately.  Orcs truly believe the world was theirs and the other races stole it from them, so they have little mercy for them.

ORC ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:06:30 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2010, 03:09:32 AM »
Most of the Orc fluff is up.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 03:09:49 AM »
Hi Tetsubo, I know i mentioned it elsewhere but I have a class this week sucking up all my time.  I'll finish the Orcs soon as i can

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »
Job training is mostly done.  I should have an update this weekend.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 02:53:12 AM »
SO I'm thinking of making the Great Orcs and Gorath's Chosen core classes...

Any objections?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »
Orcs just need height/weight.  Not much is mentioned about the Snow Orcs besides their name, so I'm making them a Racial feat.  Think the +0 LA is okay?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 12:14:39 AM »
GOBLINS

"Revenge is mandatory."

Goblins are fairly similar to Orcs but small, lean and agile as opposed to bulky and stout.  Eventually if they live long enough they become human sized.

GOBLIN RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 14
 Goblin Warrior, Rabble: +1d4
 Carnodon Rider: +1d6
 Assassin, Shaman: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 30
 Old: 45
 Venerable: 60
 Maximum Age: +2d10 years

As Goblins age they get bigger.  Height/weights listed below in parentheses are for older Goblins.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 3'9" (4' 10") Female: 3'7" (4'5")
 Height Modifier: +2d4" (+2d10")
 Base Weight: Male: 85 lbs. (120 lbs.)  Female: 80 lbs. (85 lbs.)
 Weight Modifier: x1d6 lbs. (x2d4 lbs.)

GOBLIN CHARACTERS
 If  you want to play a sneaky, backstabbing cannibalistic psychopath with delusions of grandeur considering his size, Goblins are perfect.  They're also good for your thieves, rogues, assassins, spies, etc.  Even though everyone knows their racial predilection towards this stuff they still somehow pull it off.
 Adventuring Race: Goblins go on adventure for profit, revenge, power, all the usual bad reasons for doing so.
 Character Development: Much like the Orcs, Goblins prize success above all else, they just don't necessarily believe success has to be come by with brute force and strength of arms.  Killing your opponent in his sleep is not only allowed, it's preferred.  It shows good survival instincts.
 Character Names: After years of slavery Goblin names are now pretty much similar to Orcish names.

ROLEPLAYING A GOBLIN
 Until you're old enough to grow to a decent height, you want to be invisible.  Before that you'd be eaten.  Afterwards you'll still need to be sneaky, but you'll be a little more physically able to deal out punishment.
 Personality: Goblins are selfish, amoral brutes who will eat anything they can kill, and they'd sell their own family into slavery for a pittance if it meant any kind of short term benefit to them.
 Behaviors: Goblins are as blindly fanatic as the Orcs, but as opposed to the Orcs religious beliefs they tend to be more devoted to their own self interest.  They know if the Orcs win they'll be slaves forever, but they don't have the power to rebel yet.
 Language: Goblin is about as similar to Orcish as Chinese to Korean.  It's recognizably similar, but understanding one doesn't necessarily mean you can speak the other.

GOBLIN SOCIETY
Goblins have been slaves fro so long they no longer have a society.  Their society (with certain obvious exceptions) mirrors the Orcs own.  It's just that they have no rights or power.
 Alignment : Much like the Orcs the Goblins tend towards Chaos and Evil.  Accent on the Evil.  They have even less moral standards than their slave masters.
 Lands : Like the Orcs the Goblins are largely confined to the barren Steppes.
 Settlements : The Goblins would prefer to wipe out the other races and settle the entire world, keeping small populations of the other alive to breed as food.  Being forced into slavery for millenia has kind of messed them up.
 Beliefs : Much like the Orcs, the Goblins are devotees of Gorath since he has promised them world dominion.  He's been quiet on what place the Goblins have in that world but they hope to eventually become the equal of the Orcs in his eyes.  The rest hope to use one of the other Princes of the Fallen to cut a deal and betray their owners.
 Relations: Goblins are a truly vicious and unkind race.  They were backstabbing malcontents before being enslaved by the Orcs, and decades of slavery has only made them worse.  They believe the world owes them for what they've undergone, and they intend to take it out on anything within reach.  They will eat literally just about anything, each other included, so it's not hard to guess where other races end up if caught by them...

GOBLIN ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:16:29 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 04:18:41 AM »
Sorry for the delays guys.  I accepted a contract job online and I'm having to bust ass to get it done in time.  Soon as I get far enough along I'll get the goobins done.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:18 AM »
Minor fluff update.  Im almost done with the online thingie.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:15 AM »
GOblin fluff is done.  Should have crunch soon.